Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Decatur , IL AMA club meeting minutes

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Decatur , IL AMA club meeting minutes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 PM
devens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decatur , IL AMA club meeting minutes

I was at my club meeting tonight and had a disturbing event occur. Our club president had gone over our swap meet success $$ when he started in on a speach. Long story short his speach was about members helping out. He propossed to pay each member that helped $40! I interjected! I stated that I didn"t make the swap meet nor help but I did mow and build a fence and helped at the fly-in so I should be paid too. I stated this with sarcasm as to show how silly he sounded. He replied, those tasks didn't bring in $1400 to the club so no I shouldn't be paid too. Finally another club member spoke up so Mark dropped it. (this club rarely votes on anything, it is the presidents way or no way)

He then decide to state that he wasn't organizing our fly-in and someone else could do it. I of course quickly volenteered! Funny thing was he embarassed himself. Bad thing is he and the other officers are going to make things tough for me. The CD is his friend and the officers have the contact information to the airport employees that we deal with regarding the fly-in.

Sad really. This guy thinks he should be paid for everything.

I am thinking of sending a club e-mail explaining the situation "gently" then calling out those who need to help me. Like the tresurer to pay for the AMA anouncement and the CD ect. Something like The club needs the support of all it members to make the flyin happen. I also need to try to bring some things to vote I guess at the next meeting. Thats a revalation.

I am hoping he will quite like he did last time someone challenged him then I will volenteer to be Pres
Old 12-04-2009, 12:12 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Decatur , IL AMA club meeting minutes

I feel your frustration but you did go about it the incorrect way. I am assuming that your club has an AMA charter and standard bylaws that require voting for things to happen.

A correct way would have been to use this against him.

1. You inform him that that cannot happen without a motion.
2. Then both sides need to present information.
3. Typically the vote can't happen until the next club meeting to give folks time to digest and/or those who couldn't attend the meeting to find out and cast their vote.

Of course if your club didn't have these bylaws than maybe you were right. Also he was wrong in doing this unless he stated that was the plan with the profits ahead of time.

Now for the event......

You yourself can become a CD very easily. It isn't hard to do at all. That solves that problem. The other problems will be a little harder. Just remember that you don't want to make this a you vs the Pres type fly in. That can only end poorly and split the club...........even if the guy is acting foolish.

Take the high road.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:28 AM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: devens
\<snip>
I am thinking of sending a club e-mail explaining the situation ''gently'' then calling out those who need to help me.
You have already done so, effectively. Be prepared for the response.

Cletus
Old 12-04-2009, 07:33 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Anybody expecting a club to function fair and equitably for all members is going to be sorely dissappointed. No matter what organization, if you're depending on volunteer labor to accomplish anything, its guaranteed that 10% of the people will do 90% of the work.

It's great that you're willing to step up and volunteer. Keep it up. But don't let them anger you and turn to sarcasm. That will just build walls between you and those that are currently "running" the club. Keep the discussions civil at all cost.

You didn't mention how many people he was proposing to give the $40 to. Was it two or three people that ran the entire show? or was it 20-30 people? How much time did each individual spend preparing (writing letters, set up, manning the show, how long did the show last)? How many people cut the grass? How often? Can you make a comparison between the two efforts?

One way to try to increase participation and "volunteerisn" is to provide some incentive. For a successful financial endeavor such as the show ($1400 is a pretty good return) a free club membership can be a pretty strong incentive. If there are 2-3 people that are regularly performing all the field maintenance, another critical function, the same incentive might be applicable. Three years ago our club was trying to raise funds to purchase a new lawnmower. One club member stepped up and donated a brand new lawn tractor (an estimated $2600. We gave him and his wife lifetime memberships. We have had other club members that because of the effort they gave over long periods of time were also granted lifetime memberships.

Now if the club is in a tight financial situation, and is highly dependent on member dues to maintain club operations, financial incentives such as this may not be practical. Then you have to look for other ways.

Bottom line, you can bet that in any club, there are 3-6 people that are actually running the show. Become one of those, and then you get to prevent percieved injustices. You've started down that path. Just remember to keep it civil.

Brad
Old 12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
devens

Thanks for the responses guys! You all have good suggestions.

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01

A correct way would have been to use this against him.

1. You inform him that that cannot happen without a motion.
2. Then both sides need to present information.
3. Typically the vote can't happen until the next club meeting to give folks time to digest and/or those who couldn't attend the meeting to find out and cast their vote.

Of course if your club didn't have these bylaws than maybe you were right. Also he was wrong in doing this unless he stated that was the plan with the profits ahead of time.
I was wondering about this. Is the use of parlimentary procedure part of the by-laws or is it required by AMA? I have never seen our by-laws.

Like I said we rarely vote on anything and if there is a vote they never wait till the next meeting after a motion. Including raising dues last year.

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01

Now for the event......

You yourself can become a CD very easily. It isn't hard to do at all. That solves that problem. The other problems will be a little harder. Just remember that you don't want to make this a you vs the Pres type fly in. That can only end poorly and split the club...........even if the guy is acting foolish.

Take the high road.

Going to look into becomeing a CD!

D [8D]
Old 12-04-2009, 09:44 AM
devens

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

Anybody expecting a club to function fair and equitably for all members is going to be sorely dissappointed. No matter what organization, if you're depending on volunteer labor to accomplish anything, its guaranteed that 10% of the people will do 90% of the work.

It's great that you're willing to step up and volunteer. Keep it up. But don't let them anger you and turn to sarcasm. That will just build walls between you and those that are currently ''running'' the club. Keep the discussions civil at all cost.

You didn't mention how many people he was proposing to give the $40 to. Was it two or three people that ran the entire show? or was it 20-30 people? How much time did each individual spend preparing (writing letters, set up, manning the show, how long did the show last)? How many people cut the grass? How often? Can you make a comparison between the two efforts?

One way to try to increase participation and ''volunteerisn'' is to provide some incentive. For a successful financial endeavor such as the show ($1400 is a pretty good return) a free club membership can be a pretty strong incentive. If there are 2-3 people that are regularly performing all the field maintenance, another critical function, the same incentive might be applicable. Three years ago our club was trying to raise funds to purchase a new lawnmower. One club member stepped up and donated a brand new lawn tractor (an estimated $2600. We gave him and his wife lifetime memberships. We have had other club members that because of the effort they gave over long periods of time were also granted lifetime memberships.

Now if the club is in a tight financial situation, and is highly dependent on member dues to maintain club operations, financial incentives such as this may not be practical. Then you have to look for other ways.

Bottom line, you can bet that in any club, there are 3-6 people that are actually running the show. Become one of those, and then you get to prevent percieved injustices. You've started down that path. Just remember to keep it civil.

Brad
let me say thanks for you input!! I'll try to answer your questions and draw a better picture. I am also giving my opinion on a couple topics you raised that might not align with yours so please don't be offended!

Our club has 53 members I think. A large portion of that is active a some point in the year. There are probably 15-20 that particpate in helping in some way or other. There is a click of about 6 that include the officers that "run" things.

Our club can survive on dues alone!

There was never a request for volenteers that I am aware of.

If you reward some tasks but not others the ones without reward will really suffer.

Being a volenteer including running for an election and accepting an officers position is exactly that....a volenteer. By definition you should not expect to be paid! There is nothing worse than someone who volenteers then complains about it the whole time.

A donation is exactly that and you should not be paid. Now if you want to trade or bartter then it is not a donation. Except maybe to the tax man when you claim the donation but have no receipts or record of what was given in return.

The swap meet required mailing flyers, AMA add, coordinating with the facility and moving in and out 50 tables.

To me the pertainant thing to do would be to require that there is a commitee to run the swap meet prior to commiting to having one. If no one wants to participate then don't have one. Don't use my clubs credentials to have a swap meet for your benefit is my stance.

The club belongs to the members and not the officers!!! The club was here before them and will be here after them regardless of thier tenure.

BTW last years elections when something like this: Pres stands up - " So any one want to be president...huh..huh..huh. OK then" pres sits

What is happening is our club is being taken over through intimidation. The intimidators are taking ownership and now trying to take our $$.

I say over my dead body!!!

D [8D]
Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Mode One

The club By-Laws should be available to every member, ours are posted on our website; but, visible only to members. The AMA has a document that is an outline for By-Laws.

Also, becoming a CD isn't so easy! It certainly is doable, but studying is required and you will learn some things, including navigation around the AMA's website, which I found difficult to do.

Even without By-Laws, a vote is just common sense!

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2009, 10:53 AM
KidEpoxy

The guys that mow should be the first ones getting any Rewards.

yeah, its that important to leave a bunch of blank space to let it sink in.
Perhaps the guy that says mowing dont bring in $1400
should pay a service to mow for a year,
to see that saving $1000-$2000 is just as important as bringing in $1400

So far it sounds like you are doing ok,
keep it professional and folks will have a hard time standing in your way without looking petty and childish.
I like your idea to use the newsletter to make your requests public, when things fall apart due to the obstructions of others you wont get blamed.

Basicly, I'm taking your side on this
because you mow,
and I want the guys that mow to be happy as clams on NO2
Old 12-04-2009, 12:37 PM
FitzJR7

Hey, i feel that you have insulted this president in many ways. your new to the club and you think that your KING. well your not, nothing close you can barly fly. i think its immature that you try to go around everything and get feedback from your boyfriends containing what you think about the president. it clearly states you can not insult embarrass nor degrade someone in a post and you CLEARLY did. If you wanna be president you got your mind on the wrong track. This is being ran the way it should be. the swap meet was ran very well and numourous of members and i helped out and you were no where. so now i think its time that you face the facts. this will be brought up in the meeting and im emailing the rc universe cordinator and this post you had put up will be reviewed. thanks.

ANDREWFITZGERALD
Old 12-04-2009, 12:38 PM
devens

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

The guys that mow should be the first ones getting any Rewards.

yeah, its that important to leave a bunch of blank space to let it sink in.
Perhaps the guy that says mowing dont bring in $1400
should pay a service to mow for a year,
to see that saving $1000-$2000 is just as important as bringing in $1400

So far it sounds like you are doing ok,
keep it professional and folks will have a hard time standing in your way without looking petty and childish.
I like your idea to use the newsletter to make your requests public, when things fall apart due to the obstructions of others you wont get blamed.

Basicly, I'm taking your side on this
because you mow,
and I want the guys that mow to be happy as clams on NO2

Thanks for the support Kid!

I have spoken to a couple of key club members and I have their support. whew...glad for that. I have al the contacts to our local airport where we have our fly-in now. I also have dnloaded the CD app and am excited about becoming a CD.

I agree with your value statement comparing the mowing to the swap meet. In reallity we are lucky. We have a devoted club memeber that does the majority of mowing and all of the mower maintenance. The mowers are his babies. He spends a couple of mornings a week working on mowers and mowing. I however have helped several times. He might mow one section today and another tomorrow. So if I show up and see there is mowing needed I usually spend an hour or two on the mower. I always feel like I am messing with Howards system but he doesn't complain.

In my opinion we have a good number of people that help in some way or another. There always needs to be a person in charge and I think that is where we don't have much variance. The same guys are always in charge. From my perspective that is what is desired but maybe I am mistaken.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:42 PM
devens

ORIGINAL: FitzJR7

Hey, i feel that you have insulted this president in many ways. your new to the club and you think that your KING. well your not, nothing close you can barly fly. i think its immature that you try to go around everything and get feedback from your boyfriends containing what you think about the president. it clearly states you can not insult embarrass nor degrade someone in a post and you CLEARLY did. If you wanna be president you got your mind on the wrong track. This is being ran the way it should be. the swap meet was ran very well and numourous of members and i helped out and you were no where. so now i think its time that you face the facts. this will be brought up in the meeting and im emailing the rc universe cordinator and this post you had put up will be reviewed. thanks.

ANDREW FITZGERALD
3RD yr in club 23rd yr flying RC

D [8D]
Old 12-04-2009, 02:22 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I really hate to see club problems aired in public. It never works and just makes the club look bad and hard feeling in the club. Just my 2 cents Dennis
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

I really to see see club problems aired in public. It never works and just makes the club look bad and hard feeling in the club. Just my 2 cents Dennis
I have to agree with you.
It seems like bad taste and petty behavior have no bounds.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 PM
FitzJR7

Im not on here to make our club look bad downgrade or be immature about a situation. I think it's not right that you bring your problems to a website. if you have a problem state it in the meeting. I also think that its wrong of you too think if <mark> were to step down that you are the only option for president. Everyone out there is a FAMILY and when you try to downgrade someone over the internet it really makes people wanna vote for you. so im sorry about making this club look bad in anyway and look forward to having something done about this situation.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:14 PM
The Toolman

Nobody oughta get pd for the dang mowing other than gas for the mower or any parts that break. He77, I even bought a $1500 new craftsman mower to do our field. I do the mowing an usually buy the gas too. All I ask for is gas $ back, since the mower is mine that I use for other things.
IMO, clubs shouldn't be paying their members for any field work other than any things that might be needed for field an pit maintenance.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 PM
devens

ORIGINAL: FitzJR7

Im not on here to make our club look bad downgrade or be immature about a situation. I think it's not right that you bring your problems to a website. if you have a problem state it in the meeting. I also think that its wrong of you too think if <mark> were to step down that you are the only option for president. Everyone out there is a FAMILY and when you try to downgrade someone over the internet it really makes people wanna vote for you. so im sorry about making this club look bad in anyway and look forward to having something done about this situation. <-intimidation

Nothing I said down grades our club! The way I hear it you didn't want to be president nor do you now so why worry about it? I have friends in the club also so ya I am looking forward to the have -vs- the have not war. Do you realize nearly everyone at the meeting was in disagreement with you. A couple guys I have talked to were tremendously offended! This is an AMA sanctioned club and you are NOT the owner and the intimidation ends now!!

This is a forum and last I check the 5th amendment was still valid. fyi that is the freedom of speech amendment... fyi means for your information

you are purpetuating the discussion about our club while complaining about it.

The fact you ditched on our fly-in is proof of two things:

1. You are trying to intimidate the club by leveraging the club fly-in -vs- you getting paid $
2. The club is obviously not at your best interest because you diched on us because we wouldn't pay you $$$

If you would like I will copy paste this into the club e-mail group and we can have a head start on the meeting!

I apprieciate the comment for and against this situation or post. I have used this forum regularly for several years now and ALWAYS gianed valuable information. I have the app filled out for becoming a CD. I have reviewed several pertainant documents on the AMA website pertaining to club activities and the CD role. I have contacted several members polling support for the fly-in.

D

Old 12-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Erich_F

Heh, Fitz is a piece of work. First, he says this:

your new to the club and you think that your KING. well your not, nothing close you can barly fly. i think its immature that you try to go around everything and get feedback from your boyfriends
And in the VERY NEXT sentence, has the gall to say this??

it clearly states you can not insult embarrass nor degrade someone in a post and you CLEARLY did.
What is that thing about stones and glass houses?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, I had better step in here before this gets out of hand. While this subject is just marginally related to the AMA I'm willing to allow the discussion to proceed here in this forum. And I welcome both "sides" of this issue participating in this discussion. However, that participation WILL be done within the guidelines of RCU. And that means that if there is any insults, put-downs, personal attacks, or any other negative comments from anybody discussion this issue I will assure you that those persons doing such will not like the outcome of what will happen. It's very possible to discuss this issue in a civil and mature manner, so I politely ask all here to do such.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ken
Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 PM
ultrastick1

ken i dont think you got the whole picture you need to get it you were not fair
Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Erich_F

Wow, this thread got turned into swiss cheese
Old 12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

I really to see see club problems aired in public. It never works and just makes the club look bad and hard feeling in the club. Just my 2 cents Dennis
I don't see it that way at all. It actually works very well IMO.
If the club is doing something they would rather not be viewed by the public, I would suppose they shouldn’t be doing it.

Paying volunteers (key) for club functions such as a swap meet is bad form...they wouldn't be volunteers...now would they??? If all club members were given the option before the event to be paid workers then that is perfectly fine but to decide after the event those that participated will be paid is just plain wrong...no way around it.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:01 AM
The Toolman

If its a real club like it should be, they shouldn't be taking the $ anyway. Thats suppose to be $ in the kitty for a mower when it breaks or a new roof on the pit bldg or a club trainer an radio, or a hundred other things a club is always needing.....
Old 12-06-2009, 08:46 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably missed or forgot something important, but how does club business pertain to the AMA?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:50 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: DelRay

I probably missed or forgot something important, but how does club business pertain to the AMA?

We'll get around to it sometime...........haha
Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 AM
devens

ORIGINAL: DelRay

The club is AMA sanctioned. We are talking about a AMA sanctioned fly-in. We are also discussing becoming a Contest Director.

Read the tread! There may be off topic content but that is true of every single thread in every single board I have ever been on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.