Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

who needs a club

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

who needs a club

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: who needs a club

Disestablishmentarianism, the OP just want unregulated, unorganized flying. Some clubs actually operate this way. But they are out in the country using farmers feilds and such
Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DelRay

After reading this intire thread, I've yet to see what this has to do with the AMA. What did I miss ?
Read this again. We were able to reverse a City ban on R/C planes, by establishing an AMA chartered Park Pilot club. This fact was alluded to in the newspaper article that mentioned the conditions, including insurance. The involvement of the AMA PP program was instrumental in getting the city's Parks and Rec. Director on our side.

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

Meanwhile, a ban on flying model planes in city parks will be eased somewhat. The council decided Tuesday to allow electric-powered model planes to be flown at the city's natural turf baseball fields from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., but only when those fields are not needed by baseball players. People who fly the planes will need to have insurance. The planes can weigh no more than 2 pounds and must fly less than 60 mph.
Sounds like a Park Pilot Club just waiting to happen.

Frank
It was actually a newly formed Park Pilot club that made it happen.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 AM
KenP
My Feedback: (1)

dreadnaut question for you. Since your PPC got the City to reverse it's policy (KUDOS) does the agreement require people that want to fly in the park to join your club?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM
KidEpoxy

The actual city council meeting to allow flying was a hoot to watch.

[link=http://carlsbad.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=6&clip_id=423]Jan12 Carlsbad CC Meeting vid[/link] item6
30:48- "you can't hear these little electric airplanes once they're airborn"

The CC was given 4 options, including one allowing folks to fly and another "Option4" allowing AMA Only to fly.
Not so unexpectedly, the clubby guys were all about option4, ignoring the option that allows NonAMA to fly in parks.[:@]

around 40-42min mark the $2mil site insurance and the $1/2mil pilot insurance were brought up,
by the 45min mark the CC was accepting the "Option4" AMA Only Exclusion to the public ban.

To promote the AMA they club got the city to repeal its ban, but only for AMA flying "Option4",
someone else is gonna have to try to promote the hobby for the public

Oddly, the actual text of the adopted ord doesnt mention the AMA requirements, despite the CC talking those reqs up a storm
[link=http://carlsbad.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=6&clip_id=434&meta_id=50283]CS-074, AB20,106[/link] (relevant parts of text)
CHAPTER 11.32 TO THE CARLSBAD MUNICIPAL CODE TO
REGULATE THE HOURS AND LOCATION OF RADIO OR REMOTE
CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT FLYING.

WHEREAS, the Carlsbad City Council concurs that it is necessary to amend
Municipal Code section 11.32.030; and
WHEREAS, the Carlsbad City Council recognizes that the
recommended amendments and additions to Chapter 11.32 "Parks and Beaches"
will result in consistency in regulations governing the use of radio or remote
controlled model aircraft, cars, or similar devices in the City's public parks or
beaches.
The City Council of the City of Carlsbad, California, does ordain as
follows:

Section 11.32.030 of Chapter 11.32 of the Carlsbad Municipal Code
is amended to read as follows:

Title 11 PUBLIC PROPERTY
Chapter 11.32 PARKS AND BEACHES
11.32.030 Unlawful acts.

It is unlawful for any person to do any of the following mentioned acts in or upon
any park or beach within the city:

(31) To use radio or remote controlled cars or similar devices, excepting the
beach area west of Carlsbad Boulevard, between Palomar Airport Road and
Solamar Drive.

(32) To use radio or remote controlled model aircraft or similar devices
excepting the beach area west of Carlsbad Boulevard, between Palomar Airport
and Solamar Drive, and excepting on any park's natural turf baseball fields from
8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., only if a scheduled league game or practice is not
occurring, or as otherwise permitted by the city manager or his/her designee
provided appropriate signs are installed giving adequate notice of such excepted
areas.

(will ALL park ball fields be listed with ama as club Alt Site to get site insurance the CC is expecting?
Are nonClub ppp flyers going to be $2mil Site covered for the 'AMA only flying',
or just clubbers & designated club guests get the $2mil the CC is expecting, other AMA/PPP are there by NonExclusive deal and not covered??)
Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: KenP

dreadnaut question for you. Since your PPC got the City to reverse it's policy (KUDOS) does the agreement require people that want to fly in the park to join your club?
No, just that they have Park Pilot membership. This means that the club itself will stay small, and function as more of an advocacy group.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:18 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

The actual city council meeting to allow flying was a hoot to watch.

The CC was given 4 options, including one allowing folks to fly and another ''Option4'' allowing AMA Only to fly.
Not so unexpectedly, the clubby guys were all about option4, ignoring the option that allows NonAMA to fly in parks.[:@]
We worked for months with parks and Rec. The Director was receptive, but others in the department, as well as those airheaded "put your eye out" crowd were downright hostile toward us. Yes we were all over option four, because that was the one that we had come to the conclusion, through open meetings with officials, that would pass. The options not requiring AMA membership would not have been passed by the city. Remember that one of the four options was to maintain the ban.

You are welcome to fly out here and try. But it seems that you are more content to sit back and bash anything AMA without knowing ALL the facts.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM
KidEpoxy

hard to argue with results: You got an AMA Brand Only exclusion

A) Where exactly is this PPP requirement actually written down
B) With the CC expecting the $2mil site insurance,
how do you figure to extend your club Site insurance to cover all unknown PPPs regardless of club member/guest?

C) wow, once again we see Basher slung at me....theres a shocker.
You are welcome to fly out here and try. But it seems that you are more content to sit back and bash anything AMA without knowing ALL the facts.
As is so common, you have a 2 paragraph post:
You had a good post, then for unknown reasons you added a personal snipe second paragraph to... well... snipe?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:53 PM

hard to argue with results: You got an AMA Brand Only exclusion

A) Where exactly is this PPP requirement actually written down
B) With the CC expecting the $2mil site insurance,
how do you figure to extend your club Site insurance to cover all unknown PPPs regardless of club member/guest?

C) wow, once again we see Basher slung at me....theres a shocker.
As is so common, you have a 2 paragraph post:
You had a good post, then for unknown reasons you added a personal snipe second paragraph to... well... snipe?
Well, perception is often reality.
This group of people have restored model airplane flying where once it was banned, and you are bashing him, and his club, IMO.
BTW, the public can fly there, since the public can purchase an AMA card.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
KenP

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

No, just that they have Park Pilot membership. This means that the club itself will stay small, and function as more of an advocacy group.
Dreadnaut thanks for the quick answer.

KUDOS again on wanting to be advocates instead of forcing the join the club model, that seems very outside the norm.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:26 PM
KidEpoxy

I'm having a hard time fitting these two concepts (different posters) together:

1. KUDOS again on wanting to be advocates instead of forcing the join the club model(......)
2. BTW, the public can fly there, since the public can purchase an AMA card.

#2 sure seems to be the same old Join AMA Or Stop Flying,
while #1 alludes to not forcing stuff on folks,
which is odd cause they both are about the same event in Carlsbad
Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
KenP

1. KUDOS again on wanting to be advocates instead of forcing the join the club model(......)

To me having to just join the AMA and having a public place to fly is OK, does do advocacy. Having to purchase something for insurance reasons is acceptable in my view. Now I do draw the line though of a public space being used for a club where you are required to both buy AMA AND pay club dues.

Now I can see where you could argue that comparable insurance should also be accepted, I could see someone making that case and forcing the city to accept it or re-shutdown the site. Because why should you have to pay more if you can for example prove your homeowners insurance covers. I am sure someone will say well the site is not covered because not everyone is AMA, but if everyone is not in the club how does that particular rule get enforced?

If it comes down to a city wanting the insurance for the site I can see the necessary evil of being forced to join AMA.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 PM
K-Bob

In all fairness, post #28 contained at least two "snipes" so one should not be suprised to get a few in return. Old saying around here goes somthing like "Don't start none, won't be none."

Dreadnaught:Good job restoring the ability to fly model airplanes to the public. You and your club's effortsare to be commended and admired.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM

No, #2 is "now we have a place to fly, where previously we didn't".
Strictly practical, no BS, no guilt trip.
dreadnaught and club have nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, maybe I should have said" after reading the OP, I don't know what it has to do with the AMA". The rest of the thread kinda filled in as needed.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:18 PM
KidEpoxy

Kbob-
In all fairness, post #28 contained at least two "snipes"
I let folks know what offensive materials they put in their posts, be that Basher/ AntiAMA / Child or whatnot,
hoping they will avoid that in the future.

Kbob, please specify what you considered so offensive in my post
(assuming you were referring to my post and it was a simple oops calling it 28 instead of 29)

Was it the cited & linked quote?
Was it finding (what KenP refers to as the norm) as something not so unexpected?
Was it 'To promote the AMA they club got the city to repeal its ban, but only for AMA flying "Option4"?
Surely you cant find a problem with 'someone else is gonna have to try to promote the hobby for the public'
... cause indeed since they wont someone else infact will have to

Or are you considering "Clubbers" and "the clubby guys" as slurs?
If thats the case, then I will be more than happy to strike those terms out an place a more PC reference in.

Just what is bothering you about my post?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
K-Bob

Just what is bothering you about my post?
None of it bothers me but I can see where some , more sensitive to what they perceive as slurs against the AMA and clubs in general, could take them as snipes and then would respond in negative way. I'm just saying that maybe, just maybe, if we all watch our words then this forum could reach a new high in civility and worthwhile discussion.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Archie League

ORIGINAL: handyman

with all the great park flyers out there who really needs a club,...sure do miss the fun police, than theres the know it all crew, that makes the day go by really fast, how about the few that make up rules as thing go from one day to the next, and let us not for get the board members, one did tell them its really there club, and last but not least DUES,but dont for get if you want a hot dog or a soda at a meeting it will cost you, god knows theres 12.000.00 in the bank doing nothing other than making 5.35 per yr in instest ...........so park flyers really dont look bad at all, hell your taxs pay for the parks so USE THEM.....................
The solution is dilution.The key to a good club is keeping the proper ratio of real pilots to the joker pilots. (ie. fun police, know it alls, rule commities, etc). That way the quacks get drowned out and ignored.

THISPOSTISNOTABOUTANYPERSONSONRCU !!!! DONOT INTERJECT YOURSELFINTOTHISCONVERSATION ANDPRETENDTOBEAVICTIM OFANINACCURATEPOSTABOUTYOU!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 02:21 AM
KidEpoxy

KBob-
again, what slur in specific might they take offense to?

was the cited & linked quotation a slur?

Or how I posted without any abusive language, slurs/labels, or derogatory sidebar descriptors:
"To promote the AMA they club got the city to repeal its ban, but only for AMA flying "Option4",
someone else is gonna have to try to promote the hobby for the public"

Where specificly are you seeing the slurs,
because if the public will get to fly again, someone else is gonna have to make it happen,
and I'm not even going to speculate on which side the club will take if the public try to change the parks from AMA Only back to Public

(obviously I meant to say 'the club' rather than 'they club'
but I'd rather paste verbatim than get accuse of revisionist history)
Old 02-14-2010, 12:22 PM
K-Bob

KBob-
again, what slur in specific might they take offense to?

was the cited & linked quotation a slur?

Or how I posted without any abusive language, slurs/labels, or derogatory sidebar descriptors:
"To promote the AMA they club got the city to repeal its ban, but only for AMA flying "Option4",
someone else is gonna have to try to promote the hobby for the public"

Where specificly are you seeing the slurs,
because if the public will get to fly again, someone else is gonna have to make it happen,
and I'm not even going to speculate on which side the club will take if the public try to change the parks from AMA Only back to Public

(obviously I meant to say 'the club' rather than 'they club'
but I'd rather paste verbatim than get accuse of revisionist history)
It was post #29. Headers and footer mixup.

Yes, the two examples you cite are the two I saw as possibly worded to incite rebuttal and escalation. The fact that you found and labeled them on your own is a good indicator that you know/knew the potential.

Just sayin. It all starts with one little jab and escalates to a closed thread. Let's all stop it. No moreAMA-haters and no more sock puppets. .
Old 02-14-2010, 11:19 PM
KidEpoxy

[link=http://carlsbad.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=6&clip_id=423]Jan12 Carlsbad CC Meeting vid[/link] item6

actually Kbob,
I very intentionally made no commentary on the clear inaccuracy of the quoted statement.
(since we know how very loud some 2lb 60mph electrics can get... DunctedFan, I'm looking your way)
Nope, I let him make that semiTrue (semiFalse) statement without any commentary debunking it,
yet you want to harsh me over it anyway.

You are trying to find, and even place, malice into some very bland text.
Unlike the guys that sling direct malice like Basher or Children or 'Want the AMA To Fail',
when all I do is pointed out what happened and what didnt happen, you want to say it might offend someone.

Well, along those lines,
you would have me stop promoting OptionalMA because the mere mention of it offends Red.

If you dont like the quote
blame the guy that said it... he said it not me.
If the the text is so embarrassing that nobody should be allowed to quote it, maybe it shouldnt have been said in the first place.

But it boils down to
the public in Carlsbad aint gonna be allowed to fly in those AMA/AMA* Only parks,
so in scope of the OP,
Who needs a club? THEY do, the Carlsbad public are the ones that are being forced to not fly without site insurance (thru club)

AMA*: ppp
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 AM
K-Bob

actually Kbob,
I very intentionally made no commentary on the clear inaccuracy of the quoted statement.
(since we know how very loud some 2lb 60mph electrics can get... DunctedFan, I'm looking your way)
Nope, I let him make that semiTrue (semiFalse) statement without any commentary debunking it,
yet you want to harsh me over it anyway.

You are trying to find, and even place, malice into some very bland text.
Unlike the guys that sling direct malice like Basher or Children or 'Want the AMA To Fail',
when all I do is pointed out what happened and what didnt happen, you want to say it might offend someone.

Well, along those lines,
you would have me stop promoting OptionalMA because the mere mention of it offends Red.

If you dont like the quote
blame the guy that said it... he said it not me.
If the the text is so embarrassing that nobody should be allowed to quote it, maybe it shouldnt have been said in the first place.

But it boils down to
the public in Carlsbad aint gonna be allowed to fly in those AMA/AMA* Only parks,
so in scope of the OP,
Who needs a club? THEY do, the Carlsbad public are the ones that are being forced to not fly without site insurance (thru club)

AMA*: ppp
The cited quote was not what I was referring to so all the following explanation/justification was unnecessary.

Regarding your sig. line; That is an issue you choose to champion. No problem there. Others may disagree but that is their prerogative.

I haven't "harshed" you at all. At least I don't think I have. I certainly didn't mean to anyway. I was merely trying to highlight that certain words and phrases can be considered incendiary. You have been pointing that out here of late and I was just pointing out that itis a two way street.Eg. "Club members" instead of "Clubbies."

On the issue you bring up; I disagree. They (the public) are not excluded. They merely have to pay $29 for insurance. I am not excluded from driving my vehicles just because the gov. says I must carry insurance. Flying at the park, much like driving a car, is a privilege not a right. It carries some prerequisites and responsibilities. Surely it is better than what the "public"had prior to the Carlsbad club spending time and effort acquiring. Again, congratulations to the Carlsbad club for changing"NOFLYING" to "OK to FLY". Unless I missed it, nowhere does it say that in order to fly you must belong to the local club. Please point it out if I did.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:10 PM
KenP

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

On the issue you bring up; I disagree. They (the public) are not excluded. They merely have to pay $29 for insurance. I am not excluded from driving my vehicles just because the gov. says I must carry insurance. Flying at the park, much like driving a car, is a privilege not a right. It carries some prerequisites and responsibilities. Surely it is better than what the ''public'' had prior to the Carlsbad club spending time and effort acquiring. Again, congratulations to the Carlsbad club for changing ''NO FLYING'' to ''OK to FLY''. Unless I missed it, nowhere does it say that in order to fly you must belong to the local club. Please point it out if I did.
Although I say KUDOS to the group that got the city to change their mind I do have to say the above insurance comparison does not hold up in the park. For this reason, the city does does not require soccer players, softball players, baseball players etc... to purchase outside insurance to do those activities in the park.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

Meanwhile, a ban on flying model planes in city parks will be eased somewhat. The council decided Tuesday to allow electric-powered model planes to be flown at the city's natural turf baseball fields from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., but only when those fields are not needed by baseball players. People who fly the planes will need to have insurance. The planes can weigh no more than 2 pounds and must fly less than 60 mph.

Sounds like a Park Pilot Club just waiting to happen.

Frank
It was actually a newly formed Park Pilot club that made it happen.
Dave,

You and your club mates should be very proud of your accomplishments. Congratulations on helping to secure a flying field for your club as well as future aeromodelers. Great work indeed!

Frank
Old 02-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: K-Bob
On the issue you bring up; I disagree. They (the public) are not excluded. They merely have to pay $29 for insurance. I am not excluded from driving my vehicles just because the gov. says I must carry insurance. Flying at the park, much like driving a car, is a privilege not a right. It carries some prerequisites and responsibilities. Surely it is better than what the ''public'' had prior to the Carlsbad club spending time and effort acquiring. Again, congratulations to the Carlsbad club for changing ''NO FLYING'' to ''OK to FLY''. Unless I missed it, nowhere does it say that in order to fly you must belong to the local club. Please point it out if I did.
Although I say KUDOS to the group that got the city to change their mind I do have to say the above insurance comparison does not hold up in the park. For this reason, the city does does not require soccer players, softball players, baseball players etc... to purchase outside insurance to do those activities in the park.
Ken P;

It has been written and it is so: "Equal men are not Free, and Free Men are not Equal."

If you wish to debate that we have to go off line. [sm=devious.gif]
Old 02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
KenP

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

It has been written and it is so: ''Equal men are not Free, and Free Men are not Equal.''

If you wish to debate that we have to go off line. [sm=devious.gif]
What does that quote have to do with the topic at hand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.