Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What form of government is your club?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
SteveR Rambin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What form of government is your club?

Just wondering how many clubs out there have an appointed board and voted in new members and how may have open membership and elected officials.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: What form of government is your club?

I belong to the Rogue Valley Flyers and we have an AMA restricted open membership with elected officals. We do allow non flying non-AMA members but rarely have any.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This doesn't answer your question but look at the Elizabethtown, KY club's rules and regs. Their's approach the ideal, IMHO. Some clubs have a 'board' of individuals who can do whatever they wish to whomever they wish irrespective of the club memberships' wishes. Be extremely wary of ones like that. RCRC in Louisville, KY is NOT like that but the 'other' club in Louisville KY is!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteveR Rambin

Just wondering how many clubs out there have an appointed board and voted in new members and how may have open membership and elected officials.
The way you wrote your question/s can be read as only 2 choices, appointed board and voted-in new members OR open membership and elected officials. Since that doesn't seem to make much sense, I take it you mean 4 items of choice.

My main club has an elected board and voted-in new membership, which has no meaning in the way it is performed, especially in the last 5 years of the 14 years new-life of an older broken up club into 2 different clubs.

Whether appointed or elected, it always evolves into the blind/unlearned leading the blind/unlearned under the good-ol'-boy syndrome. Eventually the snowball-on-a-downhill-roll becomes a near nothing, or simply nothing.

Those with a business sense, working for efficiency and purpose, with objectives for excellence, and fair play, do not find many supporters in this country's bottom-kissing political correctness of the day. Very Sad. [sm=pirate.gif]
Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
skipperwayne

I guess I'm luckier than a lot of people. I joined a club that has open membership (AMA only requirement) and elected officers. I've been with the club for just over a year and I'm now one of the elected officers. Our president, just elected, has been with the club less than a year. I guess you can't say we're dominated by any 'good ole boys', can you? And I haven't heard anyone complaining about any of the other clubs in the area, either.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I run my field like the frat house in the movie "Animal House", with a "Jello fist".

I am the absolute ruler for life. This classifies us as a MONARCHY / DICTATORSHIP.

The only rules we have is to pick up after ourselves and to never drink the last one without offering to share.

Unless there's a death in the family, we almost never are at liberty to leave until it is too dark to fly or are out of fuel.

Special requests for "leave time" have been granted to go for more brew & BBQ, though.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:03 PM
wobblyflight

Our clubhas elected officers. Allmembers must be AMA members. The only problem we have some times is "recruiting" people that will run for office.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

We play tag...your it!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Ken Erickson

The club is a Democracy. There are three elected officers: President, Vice-president and Secretary/Treasurer. There are Appointed, by the three, officers: Field Marshall, Safety officer, Publicity Officer, Event Coordinator, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster. The officers, or Executive Committee, can only spend $250.00 prior to club approval.

Everyone who has an AMA membership, submits an application and pays the dues becomes a member, no voting on them. Except for that, everything is voted on by all at the meeting.

Ken Erickson
Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wobblyflight

Our club has elected officers. All members must be AMA members. The only problem we have some times is ''recruiting'' people that will run for office.
Hey Wobblyflight, did that mentioning "FLYING GATORS INC " as your club in FL bring some attention to your identity.
I notice you edited it out! [sm=confused.gif]

Hmmm! Flying Gators, Gainsville FL., 30 posts. Joined in Jan. 2010?, No mention of experience or preferences in your profile. Makes a body wonder just who you might really BE, sho' 'nuff it do! [sm=71_71.gif]
Old 04-02-2010, 12:28 AM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Hey Wobblyflight, did that mentioning ''FLYING GATORS INC '' as your club in FL bring some attention to your identity.
I notice you edited it out! [sm=confused.gif]

Hoss-

Y'all done nailed him. Never seen you fly, but I for darned sure know you can fish.

Cletus
Old 04-02-2010, 07:30 AM
SteveR Rambin

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

We play tag...your it!
Fair enough. We're a small club with an appointed board who's membership seems to ebb and flow with the tide ( no pun intended...Roll Tide... ). Flying goes hand in hand with enjoying each others company and a great afternoon.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 AM
koastrc

Now there you have it. Something is to be said about the educational value of RCU. You see Hoss, I had no idea you fished. Have seen you fly. Not as smart as those other people with the way they elect their officers. You know drinking beer, eating ice cream, playing tag. You see our club is only sixty, or is it fifty years old. I guess it is as old as the person you ask.
Reckon I will follow this, I think it is called a thread and see what else we can learn about officers. After all some of these folks have a lot to say. That is if those little numbers by their name is what I think it is.
Yall Have A Nice Day
Old 04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our club has 4 elected officers, a PR person, a safety person and our newsletter/raffle person. Our membership is open to anyone, but you must have AMA to fly at our field. Thanks Dave
Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our club has 3 elected officers, and we have an open membership, ama is required, we don't have an official safty officer, but as we are a small club we tend to watch one anothers back. we vote on all expenditures out of the treasury, except for normal field maintance. We are a club dedicated fun and fellowship and are celebrating our 25th year as a club.
Rich Valley rc

cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

We have elected officers and one AMA cleric. The ayatollay noflyee !

Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have no officers, no meetings, no elections, no politics, We just go fly at our field. No sanction either. Did I mention no dues?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
JUGFLIER

Steve,
Here is a thread that may be of interest to you.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8747528/tm.htm
Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 PM
davidgeorge212

we have elected officers, but no one seems to enjoy the meeting when we elect new people. No one at our club wants to be president or vice president or any other officer. So if you are a current officer, chances are your probably just going to be re-elected because no one else wants to be "it." Our officers though are usually the only people that contribute the most to maintaining the feild. When we have work days to cut the grass, the only people to show up are the officers which is only a hand full of people.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pres, VP, Secretary and Treasurer are elected.

Safety Officer, Webmaster, Newsletter editor and other positions are appointed by the officers.

Members are welcomed without a vote or secret handshakes.    If you want to be a member, we would love to have you as long as you understand the new member packet, the kind of flying that we do and that we do not do.   If someone joins, missunderstood the type of club we have, they are given their money back and given guidance to a local club more in line with their interests.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:47 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Our little club has NO RULES. You fly ... and you take responsibility.

Well, not strictly true. There is one rule ... you have to fork out £5 -a- year to pay for the grass-cutting.

Aside from that, "don't do nuthin' dumb" seems to be the order of the day. And it works out just fine.

Have to admit that it's a constant battle, though. There is an element which wants to "regulate"; for your own good, you understand. So, there is always a bit of tension between those guys and the rest of us who just will not put up with that.

I guess that it's the nearest thing to, " A republic ... if you can keep it."
Old 04-17-2010, 06:40 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: aeajr

If you want to be a member, we would love to have you as long as you understand the new member packet, the kind of flying that we do and that we do not do.
Hmmm...Correct me if I am wrong but IIRC you are the one one that said something to the effect " an occasional loop or roll well above the trees are permitted but aerobatics are generally discouraged". That struck me as very odd statement...a real attempt to insure a common denominator of flying skills that never exceed the ones making the rules???? I can only guess that is the purpose...nothing else makes much sense.

bogbeagle,

I like the sound of your club...sounds like the guys there are very lucky.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:55 AM
bradpaul

Our club uses for lack of a better term the "corporate model". The "members" are "customers" that pay a yearly fee to use the facility provided by the BOD. No votes, no politics, the BOD provides a great facility and each "member" has one vote a year..... to renew or not to renew.

We grow every year so it works for us.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:48 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Two meetings per year at the local Mexican restaurant along with dinner and adult beverages. We elect the president by popular vote and he appoints anyone he can to any position he feels he needs. No board. Free dues and minimal politics.

Anyone can put on any event he or she wishes, no voting required. If you want to put on a fly in, just go ahead and get busy! We'll pitch in and help, if YOU get the ball rolling.

Seems to work so far.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 PM
SteveR Rambin

How do you maintain the field or website without dues?