Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't AMA pro-rate dues?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why doesn't AMA pro-rate dues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 AM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why doesn't AMA pro-rate dues?

Hi:
I have a simple question regarding AMA dues.
I had just renewed my 2010 AMA membership on March 14,2010. Shouldn't my membership expire midnight March 13,2011?
My Auto, homeowners and motorcycle insurances is paid in that way. Why not AMA?

Tom
Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: Why doesn't AMA pro-rate dues?

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft

Hi:
I had just renewed my 2010 AMA membership on March 14,2010. Shouldn't my membership expire midnight March 13,2011?

Tom
I'm sure the usual Calvary will ride in and tell you that you are wrong and the AMA does indeed pro-rate...
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 AM
iflircaircraft

The expiration date shown on my AMA card is Dec.31,2010 thus it is not pro-rated.
I paid the full yearly Membership Dues of $58.00.
I also do not get a magazine for the first 3 or 4 months of 2010.

Tom
Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
littlecrankshaf

The expiration date shown on my AMA card is Dec.31,2010 thus it is not pro-rated.

Tom
I agree with you.

AMA does not pro-rate...they have an arcane and convoluted membership fee policy designed to maximize revenue within the existing membership roles by charging for membership time lapses... that also increases early renewal incentives for previous members since a lapse in membership isn't a lapse in expense...all the while, new joining members benefit by waiting to the fall( I think Sept 15th) to join.

Of course, another often cited reason is to simplify validation via a common expiration date.

I have known quite a few people that did not re-up later in the year because of this policy and know of new recruits that resigned themselves to wait until fall while some others just decided to forget about it all together... I think the policy needs change but I am one of the few that do.

Funny, when I hear people cry about the membership numbers I just shake my head...
Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also do not get a magazine for the first 3 or 4 months of 2010.
You were sent the renewal forms with plenty of time to have the magazine. It is your fault that you screwed around.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 AM
skipperwayne

How about if we try to get the AMA to charge an initial fee plus a pro-rated dues? If you fail to renew by the normal renewal date, you get pro-rated dues but also pay the intitial fee as if you were a new member? That's what some clubs do.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems to me it would cost more for the AMA to run the renewal on a monthly basis, However I do
think that anyone who has less than 12 mo membership time come Dec 31 should be prorated
those weeks when they renew.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi:

Tom
Another question that gets the usual treatment day in day out, year in year out. AMA could easily do that, yet so far AMA recognizes the simple fact that the vast majority of Charter Club Officers are not paid professionals of the club, but just modelers that give up a lot of their personal time so others can have a good time using ALL that time do their thing, while the officers attend to the many chores that allow the club to survive. If the club officers had to run down each club member each year to check AMA membership, they would have much more work. So you want 12 mo. then pay up in Dec. or Jan.

Now you relate to other professional insurance companies. I will relate to other items. Here in TX the fishing/hunting license expires on Aug. 31. If you want to fish in Aug. and you buy a license, you pay for the full year, like it, lump it or leave it.
Since I own property in upper peninsula of Michigan, I fish up there in the summer. Their date is March 31. I don't usually get a license before June or July. Even though I own a place on a lake, I still have to buy NON-RESIDENT and that is for the full year.

OTOH, my home-owners Insurance up there is prorated in that because I am only there for 2-4 months each year I get some 50% off. Yet, I am still protected for damage, burglary, liability, etc., for all the year. I do not expect same and do NOT GET SAME from my main insurance carrier, USAA, which I have been a MEMBER of since 1955. They will not give me such a deal, so in MI, I trade locally, yet USAA membership more than does well enough for me to stay on with all my other insurance needs, which includes liability for model airplanes.

So you get a good deal. Make use of it.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Hi:

Tom

The basic difference is this:

Tha AMA is an organization you join to support model aviation. The others you mentione are insurance products.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Clipclop

I hope you are as concerned about the consequences of what the House of Representatives did last Sunday night as you are about a few dollars you feel taken from you from an organization you voluntarily joined. Put life in perspective...radio control is a hobby, not a necessity.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Bob Mitchell

Hi:

Tom
Assuming you were a member in 2009, your membership fee was due by Jan 1. If your insurance was due Jan 1 and you didn't pay it until March, your policy probably would have been cancelled, and you certainly wouldn't have any insurance coverage for an accident that occured between Jan and March. This is no different.

Just like you would have had no insurace during that period, you got no magazine and effectively were not an AMA member. Pay your bills on time, I would suggest.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:28 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the AMA had enough motivation, they could pro-rate the first year's fee down to the day of sign up.
Business must be good, so they haven't been properly motivated yet.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Disarray

It helps them keep their revenues up. If they pro-rated many people would wait until their flying season starts before renewing their AMA memebership so they can save 40% on their bill.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:45 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Are there any statistics that show all the guys who decide not to join the AMA because of this issue?
Ever wonder about all the over priced seats in a stadium that never get filled?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
iflircaircraft

I agree that IF I had renewed my membership in December I would have no complaint,however, I did not renew in 2008 or 2009 simply because I didn't have time to fly and because of some health issues, therefore, I did not receive a renewal in the mail. I renewed online and used my old AMA number.
I don't want any breaks because I waited to renew when I did, I was just asking a simple question.
I also did not keep my club dues up to date and will be required to pay initiation dues and pay my monthly dues if or when I am re-instated.

Tom
Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

Just like you would have had no insurace during that period, you got no magazine and effectively were not an AMA member. Pay your bills on time, I would suggest.
Ah ha! The AMA is a billing entity now...LOL

OK...another bill to pay...wouldn't that be grand if they could just bill anyone that flies a model...I think they are working on getting that done...
Old 03-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that personally I waited on joining AMA until Sept 15 and my friend waited until then also, mainly to save money. If it was prorated then I would have signed up earlier. I am in a different league, I DON"T have a ton of money for this hobby and I need every dollar to be as productive as possible.

Jon
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

I know that personally I waited on joining AMA until Sept 15 and my friend waited until then also, mainly to save money. If it was prorated then I would have signed up earlier. I am in a different league, I DON"T have a ton of money for this hobby and I need every dollar to be as productive as possible.

Jon
Difference is you didn't come here B*tchin about it. You waited, then joined when it suited you. Great!