Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why not Lee or Powell?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why not Lee or Powell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 06:46 PM
ArchB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not Lee or Powell?

Sorry for being a nitwit, but I'd like to know why the Nominating Committee selected a virtual unknown to be a candidate for D-8 VP and passed over two well known, respected, knowledgable, and experienced modelers such as Bill Lee and Doug Powell ??

ALSO, am I completely bonkers, but having listened to the scuttlebutt , I would have thought the Nominating Committe would haven been apt choose just about ANYONE over HC ???

Why not Bill and/or Doug ?????

-Arch
Old 07-26-2003, 06:58 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

part of the reason that they are so "well Known", is that so many of us here in d8 have absolutely no respect for either of sandy the dandy's cronies.
they sold their souls to sandy to further his causes, and are tainted forever. good riddance to them.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:23 PM
ArchB

Originally posted by mongo
part of the reason that they are so "well Known", is that so many of us here in d8 have absolutely no respect for either of sandy the dandy's cronies.
they sold their souls to sandy to further his causes, and are tainted forever. good riddance to them.
Mongo,

not to be a brash rude newbie and meaning no disrespect to you, but I will have to file your reason as a personal opinion and not why the Nominating Committee chose one person who seemingly garnishes as little respect (as you opine about B.L. & D.P.) and another who hasn't even lived in D-8 for more than what .... 5 or 6 years, is inexperienced in AMA politics, and just got his LM this spring???? (not meaning to bash Mike, just stating what I see as less qualifications than the others)

I am still wodering why the Nominating Committee did not choose those two expereinced fellows.

-Arch
Old 07-26-2003, 10:14 PM
abel_pranger

Originally posted by ArchB
<snipped>

I am still wodering why the Nominating Committee did not choose those two expereinced fellows.

-Arch
Because nobody on the nominating committee was fooled by SF's attempt to block any legitimate challenger by filling the ballot with two of his pet toadies. BL and DP were not legitimate candidates, and SF's scam, in the footsteps of that icon of AMA leadership McNeill, was transparent to anyone with an IQ above par golf.

Abel
Old 07-26-2003, 10:53 PM
mongo

i can definately understand personal animosity.
if you had to live with dealing with these folks, you just might harbor a bit of it towards em yerself.
as i have said before, i could care less who beats em out, what their quals are or anything else about em, cause anything is better than what we got now.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:25 AM
SAPropbuster
My Feedback: (5)

The way _I_ understand it, Bill Lee and Doug Powell WITHDREW their nominations. Probably they woke up to a new morality?????
Old 07-27-2003, 01:27 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I am new to my district and have observed SF and JM and I can say that Texas is a lot better off than the SE when it comes to representation.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:21 AM
abel_pranger

Originally posted by SAPropbuster
The way _I_ understand it, Bill Lee and Doug Powell WITHDREW their nominations. Probably they woke up to a new morality?????
Or their puppeteer woke up to the potential adverse implications of a lawsuit????
There's an irony in that which I find reminiscent of justice.

Abel
Old 07-27-2003, 02:22 AM
ArchB

Originally posted by mongo
i can definately understand personal animosity.
if you had to live with dealing with these folks, you just might harbor a bit of it towards em yerself.
as i have said before, i could care less who beats em out, what their quals are or anything else about em, cause anything is better than what we got now.
I can fully appreciate your feeling, Mongo. I was not arguing the veracity of your opinion, just with the reason for the NomCom not picking them.

BTW, if I were you I would not rush into accepting ANY alternative. PLEASE, DO care who beats them out. Who you all vote in down there affects us up here. Unfortunately a DVP is NOT local politics. Definitely, put someone in there with INTEGRITY. Vote in a REAL southern boy with experience and HONOR. Send a man who is qualified, savvy, generous and seasoned to Muncie. Vote for a man with GUTS who has a record of caring about this hobby to fight the BS but still able to work WITH the EC to better OUR AMA. Throw the present DVP out, but be careful with what you replace him. You need a man that LISTENS but will not be intimidated.

Integrity, guts, and honor are what you are looking for.

You need a white knight. WE ALL need that white knight.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:15 AM
J_R

Does anyone else find it peculiar that Bill Lee has not appeared?

He has been a frequent contributor to this forum and I find it unusual that he would not offer to set the record straight on all aspects of the nomination process this year. On the D8 group list he, Sandy and Doug Powell closed the group down and headed for Muncie for the NATS. I think it is safe to say that he probably attended the Nominating Committee meeting along with his comrades. A first hand account would seem to be in order.

JR
Old 07-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Originally posted by abel_pranger
Because nobody on the nominating committee was fooled by SF's attempt to block any legitimate challenger by filling the ballot with two of his pet toadies. BL and DP were not legitimate candidates, and SF's scam, in the footsteps of that icon of AMA leadership McNeill, was transparent to anyone with an IQ above par golf.

Abel
The EC has finally realized what some of their own are up to? They have come a long way since 1998 when McNeill had Jim Weems and Russell Mobley nominated in an attempt to block Norm Deputy and again in 2001 when he came up with a last minute nominee, Manny Sousa, to ward off a majority vote for Tony Stillman. 81 votes (in a district with 20,000 members) is all it took. Can McNeill's statagy pull it off again for him?

While McNeill fires people that run or campaign against him he rewards those that he picks to water down the vote and makes them AVPs . . . . until he needs them no longer and needs the slots to pay off other supporters or influence clubs or SIGs with a large voting potential.

I'll believe it when I see how they handle the nominations next year. Pray for McNeill's good health. We want to see him voted out of office standing up.

Red S.
D-V
Old 07-27-2003, 11:05 PM
SAPropbuster
My Feedback: (5)

Red,
Your Statement: "While McNeill fires people that run or campaign against him he rewards those that he picks to water down the vote and makes them AVPs . . . . until he needs them no longer and needs the slots to pay off other supporters or influence clubs or SIGs with a large voting potential."

My question: Has District V had a big 'turn-over' of AVP's during McNeill's tenure? (I didn't pay attention to that over the years....)
Old 07-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Originally posted by SAPropbuster
Red,
Your Statement: "While McNeill fires people that run or campaign against him he rewards those that he picks to water down the vote and makes them AVPs . . . . until he needs them no longer and needs the slots to pay off other supporters or influence clubs or SIGs with a large voting potential."

My question: Has District V had a big 'turn-over' of AVP's during McNeill's tenure? (I didn't pay attention to that over the years....)
What do you consider a "big turn-over"?

My best count is that he has had 13 come and go over the past 5 years.

I forgot to mention in his "run with me or against me", that Manny Sousa, who helped him fix the last election was made an AVP around April of this year. He replace Perryman who died in February - but still shows up on McNeill's web site with no comment.

Sandy Frank, I believe, made the motion to honor Perryman by naming an event after him. (the individual that makes such motions had now be eliminated from the AMA EC meeting minutes in most cases.)

EC Meeting Motions April 26, 2003
"It was moved and seconded, to add George Perryman’s name to the Dawn Unlimited Rubber event (rule book event number 122) award at the AMA Nationals."

If you or anyone else needs the list of ex AVPs e-mail me back channel.

Red S.
Dist V
Old 07-28-2003, 05:35 PM
blue62
My Feedback: (3)

well i wonder if this "election" is going to have the famous "hanging chads" and vote recounts we have seen in the past to get the desired results too!! does this have to get so political?
Old 07-28-2003, 06:35 PM
mongo

well, it is politics, after all.