Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA member guests

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA member guests

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 PM
fly boy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA member guests

Can a non AMA member fly as my guest if I'm an AMA member at my club?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM
TripleDigitRide

Default RE: AMA member guests

Being brand new to the hobby, Ican't answer your question. Just thought I'd give a friendly "Hello" from over here in Hendersonville.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

that is going to depend greatly on the rules and circumstances at your particular club.

my money is on a resounding "NO", as the answer, but you will have to talk to the club officials to find out for sure.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:03 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your club is AMA chartered then most likley the answer is NO, The AMA tells their clubs not to let non AMA members fly at their sites.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Silent-AV8R

Here is the link to a document from the AMA on this issue:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/911.pdf

Bottom line is that it depends on your club's situation. But under no circumstances is a non-AMA member covered by any insurance and your club's policy for the site owner also does not cover the actions of non-members of the AMA.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Buddy Box
Old 08-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fly boy2

Can a non AMA member fly as my guest if I'm an AMA member at my club?
The reason you'll find a variety of responses is that there are a variety of "non AMA members."

Belonging to AMA does not guarantee the stranger won't smash the plane into the clubhouse or someone in the pits. On the other hand, non-AMA folks might do precision aerobatics with the pros.

You didn't mention anything about this non AMA member, but I can tell you some stories about non club members who have shown up and were allowed to fly at clubs where I've witnessed.

There was the guy who walked to the middle of the field and flew around in circles, as though the plane was a control line plane. People in the pits & shelter area were pretty concerned about that.

There was the guy who walked out to the middle of the field and stood behind his plane during takeoff... and stood in the same spot until someone suggested they wanted to take off, too.

There was the guy who'd never flown, and wanted to fly or crash on his own, without assistance.

Many clubs have a procedure for checking out flyers, and AMA membership is not the sole criteria. What's yours?

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 08-27-2010, 09:00 AM
fly boy2

ORIGINAL: TripleDigitRide

Being brand new to the hobby, I can't answer your question. Just thought I'd give a friendly ''Hello'' from over here in Hendersonville.

If you're ever in down this way, come visit. We dont see a whole lot of new flyers.

thanks everyone; I didnt think he would be allowed to. I didnt know if AMA rules said anything about is sort of thing. I'll talk to the officers and see what they think. I don't know the guy; he is friend of my Dad. He plans on coming out this Sunday to the field to meet me and the other members. I dont think he plans on flying knowing that its an AMA club. I just wanted to make sure; if he wanted to that he could. I'll talk to some of the officers and see what they think.

ORIGINAL: Scar

Many clubs have a procedure for checking out flyers, and AMA membership is not the sole criteria. What's yours?
There is no set procedure for checking out a flyer. They'll ask if the person has soled and has an AMA card and then maybe watch him fly on his own and thats about it.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:23 AM
KidEpoxy

The confusion over this issue is based in the text of the link Silent provided, regarding the clubs Site insurance:
color by me
To preserve the availability of low cost insurance to your club and its site owner, the people who fly with your club should contribute their share of that cost. They can do so by becoming dues paying members of your AMA charter club as well. In the same vein, if the landowner for your club’s chartered club field has granted the club exclusive flying privileges, the club should ONLY allow AMA members and current members of the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) to fly at the field. If your club is flying on public land and it has not been granted exclusive flying rights by the public agency in charge, your club activities should be confined to AMA members, and you are not responsible for other (non-AMA) flier’s actions. Should the public agency be named as an additional insured, it has coverage only for the actions of your club, its members, and other visiting AMA members who are considered guests
AMA also maintains that all flying club members must be AMA... but that obviously dont affect non-clubmembers

We have been harping on this confusing text of "should" where the term Must would eliminate any vagury....
Should is not Must, "Should" is a preference, not a requirement.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kid you are right should and must are two different things however I have never seen a AMA chartered
that would allow non AMA members to fly.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:51 PM
KidEpoxy

yes,
but its easier for club members to change their club to accept them,
than it is to try to educate the entire AMA membership that it aint forbidden by Muncie