Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Which magazine do you prefer?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Model Airplane News
20.69%
Park Flyer
1.38%
Model Aviation
29.66%
Backyard Flyer
0.69%
Fly RC
12.41%
RC Heli Mag
1.38%
Flying Models
17.24%
None of the above
16.55%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Which magazine do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 04:14 PM
LADDIE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which magazine do you prefer?

You are so right.
Laddie.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 PM
HIGHSTRUT

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

This is the dynamic as I see it,,

When you are new to the hobby everything is great, all that information is so useful and educational. It's like going to the trade shows for the first couple times,, Wow look at all that stuff you've never seen before!! After a few years you've read most of the How-tos and tips, but every once in a while something new shows up in there you haven't read so you keep going hoping for more.. Fast forward to 10-15 years into the hobby and you've pretty much seen and read it all. So unless there are articles or reports on what your really interested in there's just not much to hold your attention. I mean really, How many reviews of ARFs can one man stand??

That's pretty much where I'm at with any of them after 35+ year in the hobby,, It's not really the Mags, they haven't changed much, it's the reader's sense of needing/wanting the mags
I totally agree.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 PM
fix-n-fly
My Feedback: (1)

I have thrown away at least 3-4 of the last year's worth of MA just because I see nothing useful in it. I am not into 3D or parkflyers or helicopters and that's all I seem to see nowadays in MA. If you are into that, great but it's just not for me. The November 2010 issue is about to hit the circular file as well.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just asked kids at my son s bus stop how many wanted ma of model airplanes ,i had 7 of the little guys raise their hand so tomorow i will bring a stack. My AMA mags i donate to his school with the blessing of his principle at school. I try to give back when and how i can . joe
Old 10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fix-n-fly

I have thrown away at least 3-4 of the last year's worth of MA just because I see nothing useful in it. I am not into 3D or parkflyers or helicopters and that's all I seem to see nowadays in MA. If you are into that, great but it's just not for me. The November 2010 issue is about to hit the circular file as well.
Before you throw it away, check out page 144 of the Nov. 2010 issue of MA. Using a little CONCEPTUAL THINKING, you can find a lot of information on the left-side column.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:13 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess because I started with building pre-die cut Free Flight kits in the late 40s, then progressed through to Control line, plan and scratch built, and ARF/RTFs and die cut in the 1950s, then added RC in the 60s, then foam and other non-wood kits and even newer E power and modern ARF/RTFs in the early 80s, I tend to prefer MA and FM, and a few English publications to the newer RC catalogs er, I mean, Model Airplane magazines. In fact, either MA OR FM is IMHO superior to the total of almost all the others lumped together. Maybe if I were just starting into the Sport/hobby nowadays, I might feel differently. But because of my background, I feel that the building of one's planes, and even having had the experience of building at least one transmitter, several recievers, sucsessfully designing and building a number of my own planes, including a scale CL job, raises my achievement level far beyond the plug n' play level. But nowhere near the level of the S. Calhoun Smith's, the Carl Goldberg's, the Walt Musciano's, the LeRoy Cox's, The Duke Foxes, the Johnny Brodbecks, the Roy Clough's the Hal DeBolt's, the Good Brother's, the Bill Werwage's, the Maynard Hill's, the Ed Kazmirski's, the Bill Winter's, the Chet Lanzo's, the Ken Williard's, or any of the thousands of other pioneers who designed, built, and flew their own planes, engines, and even radios. And developed the designs and techniques that led to today's reliable radios, the foamies, and even the plug n' play RTF/ARF systems that we enjoy today.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AMA mag cover with the youngster holding his FF airplane is great! Content better this month- not so much park flier and arf stuff. Kudos for AMA on this one!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the Nats coverage this year was much better than last year.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:28 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

I like Sport R/C Flyer, which is not on the list. While they too cover a lot of ARF's, they don't always follow the same format and actually use something besides the recommended brands, i.e. Great Planes/Futaba/OS, or Horizon/Spektrum/Evolution, etc. They also have good engine reviews by Mike Hoffmeister, with weights, thrust and pitch speeds, etc, well-documented. I like that they are into modifying/trying different setups for more or better performance.

I haven't seen Flying Models; will have to try to find that one and check it out.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:17 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

In retrospect from my original posting, I have changed my opinion.

Model Aviation  - #1
MAN - #2

Having read MA cover to cover on the last two issues, I am converted. Good relevant articles - thank you Model Aviation.

That's a quote!

CottcoRC
Old 11-03-2010, 04:34 PM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: CottcoRC

In retrospect from my original posting, I have changed my opinion.

Model Aviation - #1
MAN - #2

Having read MA cover to cover on the last two issues, I am converted. Good relevant articles - thank you Model Aviation.

That's a quote!

CottcoRC
Now that there are more than three listed, can we revote?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:42 PM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Hi,

I voted MA. Part of the yearly package.

One thing I can not stand is paying for a zin full of adds. Or worse, InfoAdds!

IMnsHO

Jared
Old 11-14-2010, 10:16 AM
H5487

Guys, many of you are confusing Model Aviation for a commercial magazine. While it has all of the appearance of one, it is not. It is a monthly report from the AMA, which is a SIG and PAC that represents those who voluntarily join it. And because the AMA represents ALL aspects of model aviation, it will undoubtedly contain material that doesn't appeal to everyone. So stop condemning it just because you don't find something you like on every page. That's what the other specialized modelling mags are for.

Like most of the posters here, I find that a small percentage of each issue of MA appeals to me and if it wasn't included with my membership, I probably wouldn't buy it. But I understand its purpose. Can you imagine the squawk that would arise if AMA DIDN'T provide a regular report on what it's doing with our money?

As for the original subject, I miss the old RCM (from the 1960s and '70s) and R/C Report!

Harvey
Old 11-14-2010, 03:29 PM
KidEpoxy

It is a monthly report from the AMA, which is a SIG and PAC that represents
Can you imagine the squawk that would arise if AMA DIDN'T provide a regular report on what it's doing with our money?
If thats so,
check MA and let us know how much AMA spent lobbying in 2009.
That would be one of those things that would be put in the "monthly report", right?
Or at least put in the annual so there would be no "Squawk"ing over that money spent, right?
So, how many hundreds of thousands did this "Sig and PAC" spend 'pac'ing in 09?

.... OR...
maybe the magazine dont do what you say it does-
maybe our SigPac was Lobby spending and the magazine is is not doing what you say