RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA PLANS SERVICE SEE'N RED (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11159348-ama-plans-service-seen-red.html)

Bill Diedrich 07-17-2012 06:06 PM

AMA PLANS SERVICE SEE'N RED

Placed an order for a set of Hal DeBolt Intrerceptor 5 plans from the AMA Plans Service.
Got them in today and was totally blown away by the way they were printed, half of the fuselage
and wing on one wide sheet and the other half of both on the second sheet. The way they were
printed I had to cut the plans in half and then try to splice the corresponding sheets together, only
problem is they don't match up, one of the drawing sheets is distorted, so wasted good money for
nothing and they can't be returned. Is this what we can expect from their plans service? ? ? ? ?

The way they were printed it looks like the "Master Coppy" if it is even that, was folded in half and run
through the scanner with the other sheet also folded in half, very unprofessionally reproduced copies....

Anyone else had an unwanted experience with this service.

SEE'N RED

Bill D.

littlecrankshaf 07-17-2012 09:41 PM

RE: AMA PLANS SERVICE SEE'N RED

Boy, are you ever going to get it!

vpresley 07-17-2012 11:13 PM

Hmmmmmmm. Did you try calling them and explaining the situation ??? it's always a good bet to try that first instead of just complaining here. Maybe they don't know about the problem. Give it a try.

Vince

Jim Thomerson 07-18-2012 04:13 AM

I ordered 1/2 A control line airplane plans and was very pleased with quality of plan reproduction and service. Small plans so no problem as you mention. Yes, give them a call, which might make some difference, in contrast to posting here.

AmishWarlord 07-18-2012 04:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've never bought plans from them.

I'd like to see what the plane looks like and the plans service has always just been a list of names.

There are probably a lot of plans I'd like to buy but picking a plane is a visual thing for me.

I need way more than "Low wing sport plane"

I can't deal with this.

scale only 4 me 07-18-2012 05:00 AM

You need to know what you want,, then go to the list and see if they have the plans,, not the other way around.

Bill, I too would be curious to what AMA plans says

Bill Diedrich 07-18-2012 06:20 AM

OK for all of you doubter's I did send the AMA plans service an e-mail
last night, to be fair I will post the response from that e-mail when I get
an answer. I am not normally the type to bash anyone, but these plans
should have been checked before they were packaged to send out for
accuracy. Waiting for an answer.....

Bill D.

Bill Diedrich 07-18-2012 07:31 AM

Here is the reply I recieved back from them this morning:

Vernon,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I brought up the plan and found another that is in much better condition. I will ship it out today. I have marked the plan you ordered as low quality. This problem would not happen if you could view the plan before ordering.

Greg Prater
AMA Plans Coordinator
5161 E. MEMORIAL DRIVE
MUNCIE, INDIANA 47302-9252
Phone: 1(800)435-9262 ext 507
Fax: 1(765) 281-7904
[email protected]

Will wait and see what I get this time, if it is acceptable I'll do the honorable thing with an apology.

Bill Diedrich 07-18-2012 08:57 AM

I sent Greg an e-mail in response to the one he sent me earlier:

Sorry Greg I don't follow you on the "not being able to view the plan" before it gets printed,what system do you use to print them from? I am curious of how this works, as I have plans printed from velum originals, copies of existing prints and also from images burned onto a CD and never had a problem viewing them before they get printed. Or are you saying if I could view the plan before I would order it from the plans service?

VWD

This was his answer to that one:

Message flagged Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:57 AM If you could see the plan before you order you would see what you were getting. This was not your fault. If you could see what you were getting you would have ordered the plan I sent you today.

We occasionally get complaints about this . Especially on prints that are split in half like the plans you receive. A lot of Hobby Helpers plans were originally printed like this. It was my mistake for not pulling it from before it was sent.

Greg Prater
AMA Plans Coordinator

vpresley 07-18-2012 09:32 AM

Jeeeez you called them, after much prompting? They agreed to fix the problem, and your still not happy? What do you want, the plans for free?? Acknowledge the good customer service and move on. No one is perfect, not even you.

Vince

AmishWarlord 07-18-2012 09:46 AM

Ah, that reminds me. I need to call and get on Air Age's but about my missing plans.

drube 07-18-2012 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: vpresley

Jeeeez you called them, after much prompting? They agreed to fix the problem, and your still not happy? What do you want, the plans for free?? Acknowledge the good customer service and move on. No one is perfect, not even you.

Vince
Did he say he was still not happy? He was just confused about the email he received and had some questions.. Read it again.

Hemikiller 07-18-2012 10:49 AM

They are probably printing from a print file (.prn, etc), not the actual scan of the plan (.jpg, .pdf. .tiff, etc). It takes a lot of the "knowledge" requirements out of the equation since a PRN file can be drag-n-dropped into a monitored folder for automated printing. Saves a ton of time and you can train a garden slug to do it. Also gives you the results Bill got when the plans are sub-par quality and no one took the time to actually look at them.

Good on AMA for taking care of the problem.

-

Jim Thomerson 07-18-2012 11:41 AM

Over the past four of five years I have posted on various forums that I wanted a plan from an obscure Berkley kit from 1949. Recently, some one replied that the AMA had the plan. I ordered it, and as soon as I get the tank put together, the airplane will be ready to fly. :D

AERORICH73 07-18-2012 12:37 PM

Well Fellows, I have had some errors develop with the AMA plans service orders, but Greg straightened them out just fine. Believe he is doing his best to fill the plans orders. But now, why do I not read that anyone is ordering plans from the RCM MODEL PLANS SERVICE IN GOLD BEACH, OREGON???? YES, RCM did not go completely out of business. They have pictures on line that you can view of the model before purchasing. I lost count of the number purchased which is moving me back into the 1/2 A size planes. Go on line, an check out the plans they have to offer.

aerorich73
Scappoose, Oregon

Bill Diedrich 07-18-2012 12:59 PM

Vince
Evidently you only read what you want to read:
Will wait and see what I get this time, if it is acceptable I'll do the honorable thing with an apology.

AmishWarlord 07-18-2012 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: AERORICH73

Well Fellows, I have had some errors develop with the AMA plans service orders, but Greg straightened them out just fine. Believe he is doing his best to fill the plans orders. But now, why do I not read that anyone is ordering plans from the RCM MODEL PLANS SERVICE IN GOLD BEACH, OREGON???? YES, RCM did not go completely out of business. They have pictures on line that you can view of the model before purchasing. I lost count of the number purchased which is moving me back into the 1/2 A size planes. Go on line, an check out the plans they have to offer.

aerorich73
Scappoose, Oregon
I think everyone here knows about RCM plans service.

We'ere talking about screw ups on this thread.

I called Air Age and was told that someone from Shipping would call me back. I think 4 hours in long enough I'm going to call again.

AmishWarlord 07-18-2012 01:17 PM

...and was just told that their office is closed for the day and that they would call me back tomorrow.

rgburrill 07-18-2012 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: drube

Vince
Did he say he was still not happy? He was just confused about the email he received and had some questions.. Read it again.

Check his attitude in his comment. It sure sounds like he is unhappy to me.

I was very happy with the plans I got from them for a 40 year old airplane - much better quality than the ones I had and even showed me where some things that were not visible int he planes I originally received with the kit.

AmishWarlord 07-19-2012 07:29 AM

Hope things are going better with your plans Bill.

After not receiving a call about my Miss Gemini plans by 11:30AM, I decided to give Air Age a call before they go out for lunch.

I was told there was a problem that they would have it straitened out in a week or so.

Bill Diedrich 07-21-2012 03:54 AM

OK the plans arrived, they were what I expected to get on the first order.
Thanks to Greg Prater of the AMA Plans Service for getting this straigthend out.
And for all of you that jumped up with your flames burning, I should have
waited till I got the second set of plans and not come on line to bash the
AMA plans service like I did. But also I would have never recieved the
first set if they had looked at them before sending.

I am sorry for bringing this up on RCU, case closed. Nuff said.

Bill D.

AmishWarlord 07-21-2012 04:49 AM

Glad it got sorted out for you Bill!

The Toolman 07-26-2012 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Bill Diedrich

OK the plans arrived, they were what I expected to get on the first order.
Thanks to Greg Prater of the AMA Plans Service for getting this straigthend out.
And for all of you that jumped up with your flames burning, I should have
waited till I got the second set of plans and not come on line to bash the
AMA plans service like I did. But also I would have never recieved the
first set if they had looked at them before sending.

I am sorry for bringing this up on RCU, case closed. Nuff said.

Bill D.

If you mention anything bad about the ama here, you might as well get ready for an azz chewin' from the brownie's here. I still fly an hardly ever come here anymore.

vpresley 07-26-2012 11:42 PM

Hmmmm quite an attitude Toolman? This was a simple give the vendor a chance to correct the problem situation, which they did! Or did you not notice? Maybe you need to fly more.

AmishWarlord 07-27-2012 01:54 AM

No word this week as to my missing Airage plans.
Looks like Bill got better service from the AMA then Airage has given me.