RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Long time AMA member wins Nobel Prize. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11333514-long-time-ama-member-wins-nobel-prize.html)

Jim Thomerson 12-16-2012 10:28 AM

Long time AMA member wins Nobel Prize.

This was in the last issue of Model Aviation. I'm surprised no one has commented on it.

littlecrankshaf 12-16-2012 06:18 PM

RE: Long time AMA member wins Nobel Prize.

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

This was in the last issue of Model Aviation. I'm surprised no one has commented on it.
Hadn't got around to reading about that. Who is it?

mongo 12-16-2012 06:26 PM

i thought that they covered it about as well as could be. not much else to say.

Rubbernecker 12-16-2012 06:26 PM

Not trying to be political nor trying to suck the wind from anyone’s sail, but when a VP and President that have done absolutely nothing to have earned it get it, what meaning does it have???????????? Bet poor Mother Theresa has turned over in her grave!

John

Luchnia 12-17-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

I must have glossed over it as I don't even remember it. I only look at certain things in the mag anyway.

littlecrankshaf 12-17-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Quote:

I must have glossed over it as I don't even remember it. I only look at certain things in the mag anyway.
Maybe his membership with AMA was purely incidental. He probably belonged to AARP too...who knows what else...

Jim Thomerson 12-17-2012 11:09 AM

There are little nuggets of interesting information hidden away in Model Aviation. If I were running public relations for the AMA and working to promote knowledge and acceptance of model aviation to the general community, I probably, with the member's consent, would have sent out a press release.

The new Aeromodeller has a good coverage of the FAI Junior World Free Flight Championships. The USA team got Silver.

fliers1 12-18-2012 06:21 AM

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/A...forphysics.pdf

fliers1

littlecrankshaf 12-18-2012 07:00 AM

Thanks very much fliers1

Found this very interesting lecture by Wineland... Yep, a very smart and great guy!

HighPlains 12-18-2012 07:25 AM

Heisenberg was here, but it's not certain.

Jim Thomerson 12-18-2012 11:35 AM

Well, I apologize for my mistaken assumption that the AMA did not put out a press release. I am most pleased to have been wrong.

cj_rumley 12-19-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Maybe his membership with AMA was purely incidental. He probably belonged to AARP too...who knows what else...
Dunno about AARP, but he is a member of National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE), AARP's counterpart for those in working in the government sector. NARFE granted Dr. Wineland a Life membership in the Association in recognition of his achievement, joining more than 50 other current or former federal employees that have been awarded a Nobel Prize since 1901.

CJ

HighPlains 12-19-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

joining more than 50 other current or former federal employees that have been awarded a Nobel Prize since 1901.
At least it was not a bogus political Nobel prize as presented in 2002, 2007, and 2009.

Scar 12-20-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Heisenberg was here, but it's not certain.
Mmmm.... his presence was known.... his momentum, not so much...

:D

ARUP 12-23-2012 07:45 AM

I would rather see a Nobel Prize winner on the cover of AMA's magazine than another ARF like this month's (and so many previous) Jan '13 issue! *sigh*