RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11400197-ama-emails-drones-right-fly.html)

combatpigg 02-07-2013 05:28 PM

RE: AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

cfirc8r...well said. Something else to consider is that the "bad guys" will benefit from and use drone technology...then try to visualize what an adventure life will be like.

bradpaul 02-07-2013 05:59 PM

And here is a video about an Oregon bill that would make it illegal to posess or fly a drone.............. now the definition of drone is that it is CAPABLE of taking video.........................................<div ></div><div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=ygoJoVk_qSo</div><div></div><div>Brad</div><div></div>

cfircav8r 02-07-2013 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

cfirc8r...well said. Something else to consider is that the ''bad guys'' will benefit from and use drone technology...then try to visualize what an adventure life will be like.
They are already using it if the past is any indication. Criminals have always been able to implement new technology faster than the "good guys." We have to follow protocol and rules, they don't.

bufordbob 02-07-2013 07:06 PM

]GENTLEMEN:.............YOU HAVE IT ALL WRONG. BIG GOVERNMENT BEGETS BIGGER GOVERNMENT. TO BELIEVE ANYTHING ELSE IS OSTRICHING(BURYING YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND). THE BIG BRO IS WATCHING YOU!!!

eddieC 02-07-2013 08:39 PM

<span style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0); -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.292969); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); ">My personal position is NO DRONES in the Private Sector of civil aviation of any kind or model aviation of any magnitude. As an airplane driver for 41 years, 13 USAF and 28 UAL, I had numerous encounters with private aviation. In addition to several VERY close encounters with private airplanes, and a couple military machines, I had a number of about 15 +/- bird strikes from just a blood and guts to actual airframe holes. Now these are just those that I saw or felt. I'm confident that some near misses with other aircraft were never seen.</span>
<span style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0); ">
I learned to fly when we were taught how to watch the skies. Today's pilots have no concept of clearing the area. I have a son (retired Lt. Col. USAF) now with United. The whole concept is computer flying, therefore watching outside is not known in today's computer-drivers which I don't care to give them the sacred name of PILOT..
</span><span style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0); -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.292969); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); ">Back in my flying days - ending in 1996 - I was very concerned with the head-in-cockpit of the pilots being hired. MOST ex. military PILOTS were good to excellent. Civil AIRPLANE DRIVERS never had a clue outside the cockpit. About the same for RC fliers. I belong to 3 clubs. I watch the traffic. While many non-aviation background RCers are really good after a few years, there is an alarming portion of RCers that have the proverbial Chip-on-the Shoulder that preclude any listening to us Old F_rts as they designate many of us.</span>
<div></div><div>Normally I agree with you but, as a General Aviation professional pilot of over 30 years, your portrayal of military pilots as superior to their GA counterparts is simply untrue and an insult. I've found most ex-military types to be more arrogant and self-important than those who were civilian-trained.</div><div>The civvies were more teachable, open to input from others and worked much better in a crew environment. Plus, most wouldn't carry on for hours about how great a pilot they were. One ex-mil senior pilot I worked with frequently broke regs, altitudes and minimums. He was the scariest pilot I ever had to endure. Thankfully he retired shortly after I joined the company. Another retired ex-mil couldn't be bothered to show for a trip before 0830, so his usefulness was short-lived and he was allowed to continue sleeping in. I'm not prejudiced, just report what I've seen. Some other mil-types were very sharp, usually humble, and were a pleasure to work with. The helo guys were generally the best sticks, much to my chagrin!</div><div>Civilian pilots are just as good at looking out the windows as military pilots (perhaps because their heads are smaller and can swivel better?).:)I don't think military pilots got some special shot that enabled better vision.</div><div></div><div>I agree the computer-technician-cum-pilot transition over the past 20 years is less than optimal, but the technology has gone in that direction. In the future, try not to paint with too broad of a stroke, OK? </div>

eddieC 02-07-2013 09:06 PM

As for the drones, I don't see the necessity for a quick implementation. Once they are in use, how do we know they'll be used properly? <div>As someone wrote elsewhere, what's to stop the government from turning them on us?</div>

cfircav8r 02-07-2013 11:25 PM

The thing about the government turning on us is a bit far fetched. There are relatively few in the inner circle the rest are just regular folks that would, if push came to shove, side with the people. In my guard unit, I feel confident in saying that the vast majority would refuse the order to disarm the public for instance, as we all know that would be an unlawful order.

rgburrill 02-08-2013 06:18 AM

It's not the "drone" that is the problem - it is its user.  Our "priviledge" to use model aircraft is limited strictly to non-commercial uses, line-of-sight uses.  That is very limited and quite rightly so.  Surveillance, cell phone coverage and even search and rescue do NOT fall into that category.

HoundDog 02-08-2013 07:19 AM

<h3>Her it comes again  ...  The FAA has dragged UAV/sUAs/Drone legislation on for the past 5 years or so and with the proliferation of and the Administrations use of these as tools to kill it's enemy's, the States are now going to run around like "CHICKEN LITTLE" and pass all kinds of hastily unthought out laws to curtail a perceived problem That all ready exists and has existed for years. A person can't reasonably even expect privacy in their own homes. Someone is monitoring  what we watch on TV Who we Phone/Text and if You use a Web cam or have one built in some one, it's not if some one is watching you but WHO is watching U. So get used to it We that Fly RC pose a danger to the uninformed public. The other day a very experienced RC pilot lost his Multi Copter with GPS Homing  when it just kept climbing and flew away never to bee seen again ... so far. These things have a mind of their own for sure.<br type="_moz"/></h3>

eddieC 02-08-2013 08:47 AM

Those who believe drones will be used in a harmless, benign manner 'for our welfare' should research the Patriot Act. <div>
</div><div>It's not a matter of if they'll be turned on us, but when. </div>

littlecrankshaf 02-08-2013 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Those who believe drones will be used in a harmless, benign manner 'for our welfare' should research the Patriot Act. <div>
</div><div>It's not a matter of if they'll be turned on us, but when. </div>
True but again, its not the drones fault...

HoundDog 02-08-2013 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Those who believe drones will be used in a harmless, benign manner 'for our welfare' should research the Patriot Act.<div></div><div>It's not a matter of if they'll be turned on us, but when.</div>
Google : white house memo on killing with drons <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">It shouls scare the CRAP/S*(IT) OUT
of any</span> <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Thinking American but than
So should have the patriot act.</span>

littlecrankshaf 02-08-2013 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Those who believe drones will be used in a harmless, benign manner 'for our welfare' should research the Patriot Act. <div> </div><div>It's not a matter of if they'll be turned on us, but when. </div>
Google : white house memo on killing with drons <span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''>It shouls scare the CRAP/S*(IT) OUT
of any</span> <span style=''color: rgb(255, 0, 0);''>Thinking American but than
So should have the patriot act.</span>

You are right on target! I couldn't agree more...

bradpaul 02-09-2013 05:24 AM

Please explain to me how a local or state government ban on drones is going to keep the FEDERAL government from mis-using drones?<div></div><div>Does the FAA (note the first letter stands for (FEDERAL) care? They control the NAS. </div><div></div><div>If there is some hidden agenda then the authors must be laughing with joy as local and state governments take away the capability from their public safety agencies and most importantly, THE PEOPLE.!!!!!!!! CONTROL, CONTROL, CONTROL</div><div></div><div>But back to the topic how can we protect our hobby from IGNORANT regulation? </div><div></div><div>How do we with the help of the AMA educate our representatives?</div><div></div><div>Brad</div>

littlecrankshaf 02-09-2013 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Please explain to me how a local or state government ban on drones is going to keep the FEDERAL government from mis-using drones?<div> </div><div>Does the FAA (note the first letter stands for (FEDERAL) care? They control the NAS. </div><div> </div><div>If there is some hidden agenda then the authors must be laughing with joy as local and state governments take away the capability from their public safety agencies and most importantly, THE PEOPLE.!!!!!!!! CONTROL, CONTROL, CONTROL</div><div> </div><div>But back to the topic how can we protect our hobby from IGNORANT regulation? </div><div> </div><div>How do we with the help of the AMA educate our representatives?</div><div> </div><div>Brad</div>
A nationally recognized organization that advocates peoples rights instead of privilege born of some higher authority to enjoy all aspects of recreational modeling activities would be an asset to the hobbyists... for all your "Fed" talk...only well armed militias and citizens will ultimately keep the ever larger government from achieving it's inherent goals... Or we can take the other strategy...show ability to self regulate by making voluntary sacrifices of those people and things that aren't popular enough to make a stand on their own..just keep selling out until its all gone. Choices...choices...

eddieC 02-09-2013 07:29 AM

<span style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">Please explain to me how a local or state government ban on drones is going to keep the FEDERAL government from mis-using drones?</span>
<div>
</div><div>State's rights. When enough states overrule the Feds, it guts their attempts. </div>

Greenfuelboy 02-09-2013 02:54 PM

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 17px;">Senator Floyd Prozanski wants to bann drones in Oregon. Here is the video a video I found on youtube.

Link: </span><font color="#333333" face="arial, sans-serif" size="2"><span style="line-height: 17px;">http://youtu.be/ygoJoVk_qSo</span></font>

littlecrankshaf 02-09-2013 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Greenfuelboy

<span style=''color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 17px;''>Senator Floyd Prozanski wants to bann drones in Oregon. Here is the video a video I found on youtube.

Link: </span><font color=''#333333'' face=''arial, sans-serif'' size=''2''><span style=''line-height: 17px;''>http://youtu.be/ygoJoVk_qSo</span></font>
Another example in the mountain of proof that idiots aspire to and make up our government...

Luchnia 02-10-2013 04:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Greenfuelboy

<span style=''color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 17px;''>Senator Floyd Prozanski wants to bann drones in Oregon. Here is the video a video I found on youtube.

Link: </span><font color=''#333333'' face=''arial, sans-serif'' size=''2''><span style=''line-height: 17px;''>http://youtu.be/ygoJoVk_qSo</span></font>
Another example in the mountain of proof that idiots aspire to and make up our government...
+1 no doubt. Here is a thought I had: If they ain't corrupt when they go into government, they will soon be.

Sport_Pilot 02-11-2013 05:57 AM

The thing about the government turning on us is a bit far fetched. There are relatively few in the inner circle the rest are just regular folks that would, if push came to shove, side with the people.
I work for the federal government, and that is just flat wrong. The vast majority would follow Hitlars orders.Ok, itake that back. They wouldn't mindlessly kill the entire population of Jews. But DUI offenders and sex offenders, yes. Then it would grow, eventually to include tea party, with the Republican's blessing. Then conservatives, then the resto of the Republicans.

littlecrankshaf 02-11-2013 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

The thing about the government turning on us is a bit far fetched. There are relatively few in the inner circle the rest are just regular folks that would, if push came to shove, side with the people.
I work for the federal government, and that is just flat wrong. The vast majority would follow Hitlars orders. Ok, i take that back.
If your point is that people are generally very susceptible to an authorities programming, I couldn't agree more... and those that aspire to have some of that "authority" should be feared the most. Recent times should be ample proof.

Sport_Pilot 02-11-2013 07:34 AM

I work for the federal government, and that is just flat wrong. The vast majority would follow Hitlars orders.Ok, itake that back.
If your point is that people are generally very susceptible to an authorities programming, I couldn't agree more... and those that aspire to have some of that "authority" should be feared the most. Recent times should be ample proof.

And its a bit like a frog in a boiling pot. Throw the frog inboiling water and he will jump out, but turn the heat up slowly and he will sit there till he dies. Same thing. First they would object to killing all Republicans, but if they start with someting like kill all three time DUI offenders, then two, then one, then move on to other criminals, then violent political factions, say KKK, thenon to tea party (they claim they are racist as well), then Republicans. That seems to be their tactic to move it very slowly.

littlecrankshaf 02-11-2013 07:55 AM

And its a bit like a frog in a boiling pot.
Yep...great analogy...In my lifetime I've had endless arguments with people that have been "conditioned"... It always amazes me how oblivious they are to it or how when they first realize it how defensive and mad they get... many go in to complete denial and dig in further but every once in awhile someone will take a step back and at least question themselves and their beliefs...and that is the seed for real understanding.

Sport_Pilot 02-11-2013 08:40 AM

Iam amazed how much we have changed in the last 30 years or so. I was just watching Dazed and Confused and though a bit boring, Iwas a bit intreged at how much it was like back when I went to high school just a few year earlier. Though the teens were smoking pot and drinking, as they do today, (or worse)it was their attitude. They would not put up with the bs we have to put up with today.

For instance, today an 17 or less year old would be taken to jail for drinking in a night club, in fact he wouldn't be able to. This is because the bar owner would be sued. Kids would be taken to jail for paddling the graduating middle schoolers. Football players wouldn't tell a coach to stuff it instead of signing a declaration of non use of drugs, etc.

eddieC 02-11-2013 09:09 AM

Getting off-topic, guys.