RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11400197-ama-emails-drones-right-fly.html)

cj_rumley 02-16-2013 08:42 AM

RE: AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

As far as the privacy issue with drones, I do have a serious problem if it comes to the point that I can no longer defend my right to privacy in this country. If me or my close family desire to be at the bedside of a loved one when they are passing and that be private isn't that my families choice?

I certainly do not want some drone off in the distance with cameras zooming in on me. Some things are simply held in honor and private to me. Maybe I am wrong about it, however it is my opinion. You can only go so far as to how you look at me in my private life. Besides why would ''big brother'' waste such time on simple folks like some of us are? [X(] :D

I don't like the spread of intrusions on privacy any better than next guy, but I think hobbling the technology is dumb, and futile.
The laws being introduced by some Luddite pols leave me shaking my head............in a past age they would have banned telephones rather than enacting laws limiting wiretapping.

koastrc 02-16-2013 09:47 AM

C J your post proves that less is best. Well said and so very true. Most knee jerk reactions to things kill the dog and keep the fleas. Well done C J.

joebahl 02-16-2013 10:24 AM

I cant for the life of me figure out why us model builders and flyers would stick up for the drones or what ever you want to call them . Its a CAMERA mounted on a plane ,if it was mounted on a long stick would they want the tree huggers to bail them out. I have seen tv shows and in the news where pervs have mounted these in girls bath rooms or motel rooms so with being able to FLY what will they try next. Just because its new does not mean its better . joe

Sport_Pilot 02-16-2013 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: joebahl

I cant for the life of me figure out why us model builders and flyers would stick up for the drones or what ever you want to call them . Its a CAMERA mounted on a plane ,if it was mounted on a long stick would they want the tree huggers to bail them out. I have seen tv shows and in the news where pervs have mounted these in girls bath rooms or motel rooms so with being able to FLY what will they try next. Just because its new does not mean its better . joe

So, its not the drones, its the camera's!

Let's ban all camera's!!!

Or maybe the problem is the perv?

Luchnia 02-16-2013 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

As far as the privacy issue with drones, I do have a serious problem if it comes to the point that I can no longer defend my right to privacy in this country. If me or my close family desire to be at the bedside of a loved one when they are passing and that be private isn't that my families choice?

I certainly do not want some drone off in the distance with cameras zooming in on me. Some things are simply held in honor and private to me. Maybe I am wrong about it, however it is my opinion. You can only go so far as to how you look at me in my private life. Besides why would ''big brother'' waste such time on simple folks like some of us are? [X(] :D

I don't like the spread of intrusions on privacy any better than next guy, but I think hobbling the technology is dumb, and futile.
The laws being introduced by some Luddite pols leave me shaking my head............in a past age they would have banned telephones rather than enacting laws limiting wiretapping.
Good post and I agree. It makes no sense to derail the good uses of the technology. Just like cell phones, they can indeed be used for good, although sometimes you have to wonder when watching these kids today that don't have a clue what a good use of anything is. I was talking to a fellow that said his daughter had texted something like 40 thousand times and he was concerned! I was thinking, he should be [X(]

joebahl 02-16-2013 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

The point i was making its not the camera or what its hooked to, be it a plane or a stick but it is the nuts that use them. I dont want my great hobby to suffer because a nut put it on a plane and miss used it. joe

cj_rumley 02-16-2013 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

The point i was making its not the camera or what its hooked to, be it a plane or a stick but it is the nuts that use them. I dont want my great hobby to suffer because a nut put it on a plane and miss used it. joe
Joe, you really ought to do a little digging into what FPV is before making such points out of ignorance.
The camera essential to FPV serves to capture a 'virtual cockpit' view that is telemetered down in real time to a screen that provides that view to pilot, which he uses to navigate the aircraft. Recording that screen even if only to document the flight for replay is not FPV per se. Several of your statements infer that the onboard optics (and the pilot's only interest in flying the FPV equipped model) is aerial photography or cinematography for purposes legit or not (e.g., surveillance). That is simply not true. It's a common misperception, and drafters of AMA policy re FPV operations by its members are well aware of that........use of FPV for surveillance is specifically not allowed within AMA's reach of influence/control.

CJ

joebahl 02-16-2013 03:38 PM

You mistake my ignorance for the true fact that i have stated many time's through this thread so i will spell it out for you. I could give a rats ars about filming anything or getting a view from a cockpit in my rc planes . We had no views in our planes 40 years ago and guess what ,we were happy without them. As far as the ama and these drones go i think it was the biggest mistake that they ever made letting them in ,besides their park pilot program and we see how well thats working for them. I can tell the ones that want to be jr drone pilots in this thread but you can bet i am not one of them. joe

cj_rumley 02-16-2013 03:52 PM

You mistake my ignorance for the true fact that i have stated many time's through this thread so i will spell it out for you. I could give a rats ars about filming anything or getting a view from a cockpit in my rc planes . We had no views in our planes 40 years ago and guess what ,we were happy without them. As far as the ama and these drones go i think it was the biggest mistake that they ever made letting them in ,besides their park pilot program and we see how well thats working for them. I can tell the ones that want to be jr drone pilots in this thread but you can bet i am not one of them. joe
It's not your thing, and pursuit of freedoms that are only meaningful to other modelers/citizens is a 'big mistake.' Got it.
Thanks for clarifying, and glad we've come to mutual understanding.

CJ

joebahl 02-16-2013 03:58 PM

It's not your thing, and pursuit of freedoms that are only meaningful to other modelers/citizens is a 'big mistake.' Got it.

CJ
You enjoy twisting things others say but if you like the drones or what ever they are then you start your own org drone club and take goofy pictures of each other. As far as it not being my thing there are thousands that think the same as i do if you were smart enough to look any further than this thread. joe

cj_rumley 02-16-2013 05:49 PM

CJ
You enjoy twisting things others say but if you like the drones or what ever they are then you start your own org drone club and take goofy pictures of each other. As far as it not being my thing there are thousands that think the same as i do if you were smart enough to look any further than this thread. joe
I don't think I twisted what you said, Joe. I cited what you said completely and verbatim.

We had no views in our planes 40 years ago and guess what ,we were happy without them.
Not everybody is satisfied with doing what has kept you amused for 40 years, Joe. I'm okay with your keeping on with it 'till the cows come home, but I'm not so keen on being constrained by rules/laws to do what you and 'thousands that think the same' as you do.
And btw, we don't have to go start our own org; AMA supports multiple modeling disciplines you probably don't have any interest in, including some that have caught my interest.

CJ

HoundDog 02-16-2013 06:05 PM

CJ
I don't think I twisted what you said, Joe. I cited what you said completely and verbatim.

We had no views in our planes 40 years ago and guess what ,we were happy without them.
Not everybody is satisfied with doing what has kept you amused for 40 years, Joe. I'm okay with your keeping on with it 'till the cows come home, but I'm not so keen on being constrained by rules/laws to do what you and 'thousands that think the same' as you do.
And btw, we don't have to go start our own org; AMA supports multiple modeling disciplines you probably don't have any interest in, including some that have caught my interest.

CJ
cj_rumley I may not necessarely support what anyone wishes to fly or how they fly it "<span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">So Long as It's Done Safely and with in the Rules</span>" But I support any ones right to fly what they want. ... People that are so closed minded that they say "<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">What we've been doing for 40 years is good enough for me so it should be gooe enough for You</span>", are useally from the "GOOD OLDBOY CLICK" , and are so set in their ways they become a bunch of close minded "OLDBIDDY'S". Got a few in every club ... some don't even like Women and Kids at "THEIRFIELD" ..... JMHO

combatpigg 02-16-2013 07:07 PM

The base argument is whether we should "embrace" a mode of operation that some people think could put all model flyers on the hot seat someday.
Some don't think such a possibility exists.
Some might think the risk is minute but it is our "duty" to support all forms of model flying at all costs.
Some think that we've already got enough on our plate to be held accountable for and that "embracing" drones is asking for trouble on down the road.
The "We Must Embrace Everything Gang" are the same ones who also brought us....."press 1 for English, press 2 for........"

cj_rumley 02-16-2013 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

The base argument is whether we should ''embrace'' a mode of operation that some people think could put all model flyers on the hot seat someday.
Some don't think such a possibility exists.
Some might think the risk is minute but it is our ''duty'' to support all forms of model flying at all costs.
Some think that we've already got enough on our plate to be held accountable for and that ''embracing'' drones is asking for trouble on down the road.
The ''We Must Embrace Everything Gang'' are the same ones who also brought us.....''press 1 for English, press 2 for........''

CP,

It's been a while, but I can clearly remember when the consensus of the AMA EC was R/C Combat would foster a bad public image and so endanger modeling as we knew it, and acted to disallow it. They backed out on that position in response to hue and cry of the hoi polloi members. Just an example, not the first such incident and not likely the last. I think you have been around long enough to remember that too. So what's new with the current topic of this thread?

CJ

littlecrankshaf 02-16-2013 09:28 PM

CP,

It's been a while, but I can clearly remember when ...

CJ
Along with the paintball debacle that so many seemed to be outraged about...or the infamous #9 rule...

And as for as the earlier comment about "confines of the flying field" goes...it seems that cross country flying is just another example conveniently left out of the considerations to make a case...

combatpigg 02-16-2013 09:31 PM

CJ..I remember those days. CL combat had a rash epidemic of nasty incidents, several unbelievable, totally epic, flyaways. At a contest in Texas a plane was on the loose, lines, handle and all at 120 mph and the steel lines hit the power lines. Witnesses said it was quite a sight to see and hear.
It must have taken some fancy foot work to keep the sport going.
I'll bet there were many folks who wanted to pull the plug on it.
"Drones" might have some catching up to do to match C/L combat's and RC pylon racing's spotty safety records, but I fear that when "drones go wrong" it will be done in view of a much less tolerant public than what we had in years past.

combatpigg 02-16-2013 09:40 PM

Cross country flying..conveniently left out..?
I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but I HAVE heard about Australians doing it on foot like it was a long distance endurance sport.

littlecrankshaf 02-16-2013 09:47 PM

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but I HAVE heard about Australians doing it on foot like it was a long distance endurance sport.
Sorry, maybe you were just unaware...

littlecrankshaf 02-16-2013 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

I got an idea...let's just poo-poo on every aspect of model aviation we can think of...that should help. We've identified control line, 3D, Warbird guys, pylon racing etc... How bout those ultra dangerous Cub flyers too... I can't begin to count the many times those .40 size cubs have run into the pits...

Luchnia 02-17-2013 03:02 AM

Yeah, when those cubs fly, I stay in the house and lock all the doors and hide in a closet [X(] :D

HoundDog 02-17-2013 07:23 AM

I got an idea...let's just poo-poo on every aspect of model aviation we can think of...that should help. We've identified control line, 3D, Warbird guys, pylon racing etc... How bout those ultra dangerous Cub flyers too... I can't begin to count the many times those .40 size cubs have run into the pits...
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">It's not the CUB that is Inherantily dangerious .... it's the pilot that was never instructed on the proper Use of the RUDDER</span></span></span>. It's my contension that if a person started their instruction with a large plane such as a Sig Kadet Senior with only 3 controls, No Alerions and the rudder on the left stick and elevator on the right stick (MODE 2) they would naturaly use the rudder even after graduating to a 3 axis plane ... modern Trainers fly way too well with out rudder and that creats a problem for most RCers whole life. But then I digress from what should be banned to RC................ <span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">SORRY</span> ...... JMHO

littlecrankshaf 02-17-2013 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

<span style=''font-family: Comic Sans MS;''><span style=''font-size: medium;''><span style=''color: rgb(128, 0, 0);''>It's not the CUB that is Inherantily dangerious .... it's the pilot that was never instructed on the proper Use of the RUDDER</span></span></span>. It's my contension that if a person started their instruction with a large plane such as a Sig Kadet Senior with only 3 controls, No Alerions and the rudder on the left stick and elevator on the right stick (MODE 2) they would naturaly use the rudder even after graduating to a 3 axis plane ... modern Trainers fly way too well with out rudder and that creats a problem for most RCers whole life. But then I digress from what should be banned to RC................ <span style=''color: rgb(128, 0, 0);''>SORRY</span> ...... JMHO

Ok, Trainers are now duly noted as another great problem...

bradpaul 02-17-2013 09:48 AM

Just put a switchable between stanadrd mode and heading hold gyro on the rudder and the wost ground handling plane tracks straight down the runway. But that uses OH MY GOD ........... NEW TECHNOLOGY!!!!!! that was not availabe "back in the day".

FPV flyers that fly under the rules of the AMA are not the problem.............................. so why would you want to throw all the AMA Member FPV flyers under the bus?

As for drone survalence.......................... the military/government already has the capability to keep a city sized area under 3" resolution and track every person in the area. Like it or not within a few years all movements of citizens will be tracked......... not Sci Fi it exhists. And a local or state law will be mean nothing to a federal drone flying in the NAS.

Brad

joebahl 02-17-2013 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Just put a switchable between stanadrd mode and heading hold gyro on the rudder and the wost ground handling plane tracks straight down the runway. But that uses OH MY GOD ........... NEW TECHNOLOGY!!!!!! that was not availabe ''back in the day''.

FPV flyers that fly under the rules of the AMA are not the problem.............................. so why would you want to throw all the AMA Member FPV flyers under the bus?

As for drone survalence.......................... the military/government already has the capability to keep a city sized area under 3'' resolution and track every person in the area. Like it or not within a few years all movements of citizens will be tracked......... not Sci Fi it exhists. And a local or state law will be mean nothing to a federal drone flying in the NAS.

Brad
Iam not throwing them under the bus but sooner or later they will do it to themselfs and i dont want the ama or my hobby to be part of it. The person who screws up might not even turn out to be not even a ama member but guess who the man will target first because they embrace the new sport. Yes i may have old thoughts but guess what, iam old . joe

combatpigg 02-17-2013 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Just put a switchable between stanadrd mode and heading hold gyro on the rudder and the wost ground handling plane tracks straight down the runway. But that uses OH MY GOD ........... NEW TECHNOLOGY!!!!!! that was not availabe ''back in the day''.

Brad
"GPS dependent, New Technology, 911 Speed Dial, Camping Boy, Mall Rat" tales told by my friend's son who is a ranger at Yosemite are very funny, but at the same time very sad [and embarrassing] to any self respecting males born pre-Gloria Steinham era.
Nobody with any common sense is worried about AMA drone flyers who follow the rules.
It is the capability for abuse that is the issue.
I am an old school hot rodder and abuse of the law is the standard issue, ultimate goal of that hobby... no lie.
Same principle will apply with drone flyers. It is human nature to play with your toys to their extreme limits, but the"New Technology Boys" have been taught by the libtards to shun their natural instincts to think like men with any critical awareness of the future..