RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Safety officer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/2270027-safety-officer.html)

halflight 10-19-2004 09:59 PM

Safety officer

How do you get someone to take the job of safety officer? It's a job that no one seems to want because of the requirements presented by AMA so the club can retain it's charter status. It seems to be a lot of responsibility to place on one person...no one can be at the the field all the time. How does your club handle this situation? Where does the responsibility fall...any attorneys out there flying R/C?
Comments appreciated.

Hossfly 10-19-2004 10:22 PM

RE: Safety officer

You will find many comments on this forum. Check back about a month or so for the subjects of Safety Officer and for Document 537.

Lotts of stuff here.

abel_pranger 10-20-2004 12:23 AM

ORIGINAL: halflight

How do you get someone to take the job of safety officer? It's a job that no one seems to want because of the requirements presented by AMA so the club can retain it's charter status. It seems to be a lot of responsibility to place on one person...no one can be at the the field all the time. How does your club handle this situation? Where does the responsibility fall...any attorneys out there flying R/C?
Comments appreciated.
As of yet, the only requirement placed on the club SO is that he have an Email address.
Ostensibly he is to be a conduit for safety information promulgated by AMA.
Now then, if AMA is to get into into the 21st century and use the most timely available communications medium to pass along safety info, I have to ask why couldn't they likewise pass along the upcoming EC meeting agenda, including all of the motions to be considered before they have been acted on and then sprung on us as an unwelcome surprise? Oh, I know the entrenched oligarchy wouldn't have considered that the medium operates in duplex mode. Maybe we shouldn't tell them until after they start using it for their broadcasts???

Abel

Hossfly 10-20-2004 08:32 PM

As of yet, the only requirement placed on the club SO is that he have an Email address.
Ostensibly he is to be a conduit for safety information promulgated by AMA.
able pranger
Abel, you use the word ostensibly, referring to the sense of: " ....being such in appearance : plausible rather than demonstrably true or real."

In That respect I can accept your answer, however when Document 537, officially in the AMA's list of documents, is one that can be removed, altered, replaced, and labeled with such asinine statements as,
>>>" This document includes recommendations that a Safety Office/Coordinator may be involved in.
Each club will be responsible for the actually job description for their own club. This document
was not passed by the Executive Council, therefore it can not be rescinded at this time. The
only motion from the Executive Council is the fact that a Safety Office/Coordinator is necessary
to charter your club in 2005." <<<

then I think that there is definitely an obstinsible and superficial facet of the entire spectrum that remains to be observed. The EC MOTION stated only Safety Officer and no mention of coordinator was recorded in the official minutes.
The original document on the web was 3/31/04 and the revised version is 09/13/04.

IMO there definitely are MORE requirements than simply email.

While this was reported to me:
>>"BOTH the form 537, and, the motion need some work, and I would expect that to happen as a result of the next EC meeting. If I was to bet on a result, I'd say it's likely that the "official" term for the person required will be changed to "Coordinator", and the 537 will be "Softened" a bunch, to make it more descriptive of a facilitator/communicator, rather than an enforcer. I would, also, bet that it becomes "guidelines" rather than "rules", and, MAY, become a document that requires EC approval, rather than one which can be changed at the whim of an employee.

Understand that these are my thoughts, and the result will be the concensus of the EC."<<

Yet HE does not have it on the agenda for 10/30. Many questions.:eek:

edited to remove too much highlight.

Cyclic Hardover 10-23-2004 10:49 PM

There is far more to a Safety Officer than ragging on some guy flying the wrong way. Field improvements, instruction, advice, proper use of designated areas, ex: pilot boxes, taxi ways, runway hazards, pits, spectator areas, kids, children, bicycles, dogs, parking and the list goes on. Sometimes when you think about it all, an idiot pilot is the least of your problems. But if one comes along, discuss it with the Pres and let hm deal with it.

Live Wire 10-24-2004 10:36 AM

Then you copy everything from RCU and hand out copies at your club meeting and show how much power you have.

Geistware 10-24-2004 04:50 PM

Our club has town people to handle all of these activities.
One is the Safety Officer and the is the Field Marshall.
We are planning on letting the Field Marshall keep his/her grounds and maintenance responsibilities and the Safety Officer is responsible for Education and Safety Training.
THis is just an idea, it still has to be discussed by our clubs Executive Board.

ORIGINAL: Iroquois Boy

There is far more to a Safety Officer than ragging on some guy flying the wrong way. Field improvements, instruction, advice, proper use of designated areas, ex: pilot boxes, taxi ways, runway hazards, pits, spectator areas, kids, children, bicycles, dogs, parking and the list goes on. Sometimes when you think about it all, an idiot pilot is the least of your problems. But if one comes along, discuss it with the Pres and let hm deal with it.

Live Wire 10-26-2004 04:45 PM

The only thing lower than a SO is an Outlaw. Been there done that!!!

Sorry left off the B

abel_pranger 10-26-2004 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

The only thing lower than a SO is an Outlaw. Been there done that!!!

Well. there's teats on a pot-bellied boar........

Abel

littlecrankshaf 10-26-2004 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

IMO there definitely are MORE requirements than simply email.

Hoss

Could you please expand on your perspective about the requirements of the SO? Please keep it factual or at least clearly separate facts from your opinions please?/??

I guess I just have a problem with the AMA holding one club member’s feet that close to the fire. Seems like something else to instill alienation through out the club and ultimately counter productive.

Not trying to start some BS but would really like to be informed so please don’t become defensive.

FWIW The email requirement is soooo very lame but that is just my opinion.

Jim Branaum 10-27-2004 12:28 AM

Sometime ago, after getting in lots of trouble over this issue with my club newsletter editor, I spent some time discussing this with an EC member. The concern that drove the original action was that the AMA be able to contact some ACTIVE person in the club. We started there and reviewed some concerns I saw with the action.

I thought that the long and short of my conversation was the realization that many of the 'requirements' do load the club officers with extra work and that this particular one was probably too much of a rifle shot where a shotgun would have been a better tool. The suggestion that I thought was being forwarded was that SOME club officer have e-mail, to avoid having the AMA set officer qualifications for clubs.