RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Frequency Flag? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/2289527-frequency-flag.html)

P-40LUVR 10-26-2004 12:01 PM

Frequency Flag?

Is it against AMA rules to fly without a frequency flag on you're TX?

J_R 10-26-2004 12:08 PM

RE: Frequency Flag?

No... at least not yet. If the D V intriem VP has her way, it might be in the future.

Live Wire 10-26-2004 03:47 PM

Double post.

Live Wire 10-26-2004 03:53 PM

It is not a AMA rule but most sites require you to display it or they will show you where to put it! That and the frequency pen from the board or what ever other way flight is controlled.

Scar 10-26-2004 05:24 PM

Hey, P-40LUVR, Just in case we missed your real question... do you fly a frequency flag from your transmitter?

The reason I ask is because I think it's a good idea, regardless of rules. I put mine on the antenna, so people can quickly see what frequency I'm on. I hope they do look, and if they're on my frequency, I hope they're not turning on their transmitter, to work on their plane.

Now, where I fly, it's a rule that you pick the frequency clothespin off the board, store your AMA card there, and clip the pin to your antenna. That takes care of the good folks who follow the frequency board rule. They won't turn on the transmitter until I relinquish that clothespin, and they have it. But I figure the other people can't see that little clothespin, so maybe they'll see the frequency flag.

Just my take on it,
Dave Olson

ORIGINAL: P-40LUVR

Is it against AMA rules to fly without a frequency flag on you're TX?

rsallen13 10-27-2004 09:23 AM

If it is the red streamer "flag" that is on the you transmitter then yes that is "required" to be on your antenna.

smokingcrater 10-27-2004 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: rsallen13

If it is the red streamer "flag" that is on the you transmitter then yes that is "required" to be on your antenna.
umm, i must have missed that one, or at least it doesn't exist in the [link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/105.pdf]2005 version of the rules[/link]. anyone know if I just missed it, give me a line number... not to mention, i have never seen a rubby ducky tx antenna with a streamer... The main use of the streamer is for safety to eyes and your own minature windsock.

rsallen13 10-27-2004 02:39 PM

A club I use to belong to went through this whole discussion and it was "shown" to us that it is required. I personally don't care one way or the other but we had a couple of memebers whop thought it was a big deal and did locate the "requirement". Whether it was AMA or FCC I do not remember. I am not going to spend time looking for it, or arguing over it so if it is it is if it isn't it isn't.

If it isn't them why is it included with every transmitter sold in the US?

nick.wright 10-27-2004 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: rsallen13
If it isn't them why is it included with every transmitter sold in the US?
I thought the flag was sold with every radio too. What radio company doesn't include it?

jim_franks 10-27-2004 06:54 PM

Does any one know where one could find out where all of this is in print. It is bound to come up at our club. The reason that it is a rule because AMA says of FCC says it not the answer. Allthought I trust what is said to some degree I'm from Missouri and I like to see it.

Red Scholefield 10-27-2004 07:12 PM

Display of the frequency number is "RECOMENDED". It is not mandated at this time.

I can't find any referance to the red streamer that one would normally attach at the end of the antenna signifying 72 MHZ AIRCRAFT USE ONLY.

Jim Branaum 10-27-2004 11:13 PM

For some unknown reason (like . . I forgot about it since I tend to just follow rules that make more sense than not.) I have been under the impression it was a requirement set by the FCC. Now the question is providing proof that the preceding statement is not our local urban legend...

rsallen13 10-28-2004 08:59 AM

I will post the question to Futaba Support Forum and see what they say.

staggerwing 10-29-2004 02:45 PM

I don't remember the section but the frequency flag is an FCC requirement. I believe it's in the Part 95 rules. The colors are red for aircraft on 72 mhz, yellow for surface on 75 mhz, black for all on 50 mhz and black and another color for each channel on 53 mhz for all. I am not sure currently about 27 mhz. In the past the 27 mhz channels had a two color flag like, orange/blue, red/black, etc.

Rich
AD9V

abel_pranger 10-29-2004 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: staggerwing

I don't remember the section but the frequency flag is an FCC requirement. I believe it's in the Part 95 rules. The colors are red for aircraft on 72 mhz, yellow for surface on 75 mhz, black for all on 50 mhz and black and another color for each channel on 53 mhz for all. I am not sure currently about 27 mhz. In the past the 27 mhz channels had a two color flag like, orange/blue, red/black, etc.

Rich-
Good to hear it's an FCC rule and not one of AMA's. I can just imagine somebody punching out a car windshield with his R/C model, and then getting into a car wreck while speeding off to the LHS to get a frequency flag so his insurance wouldn't be voided.[&o]

Abel

Hossfly 10-29-2004 07:11 PM

Rich
AD9V
Answering the question, like Red said, I, too, can no longer find that item about our aircraft only flags. Whar' it GO?[:-]

On the other hand 27 mhz freqs have and still use SINGLE color streamers for identification, such as brown 26.995, red, 27.045, etc.
2 color streamers using one BLACK are for the ham freqs such as red/black is 53.20. Our old original 72/75mhz freqs were 2 streamer with one being white. Red/white was 72.240, yellow/white was 75.960, then there was blue/white, orange/white, green/white and a couple more.

While I seldom see a channel # on transmitters, I would never even think of being without one. Take a piece of card stock, mark the channel # both sides, cover it with clear tape, and tie it the the antennae. Tells all others and reminds you when you reach and get the wrong pin. UH well, I have heard that has been done uh yeah that's it, I heard it!!!:eek:

iflyj3 10-29-2004 07:17 PM

Rich
AD9V
You are correct except for two items. The 27 MHz R/C frequencies used a single color flag. 26.995 (Brown) 27.045 (Red) 27.095 (orange) 27.145 (yellow) 27.195 (green) 27.255 (blue). Just happened to follow the resistor color code.

Item 2, I don't believe it's a part 95 rule. Could you please supply the reference?

Third, fellows, keep in mind that any club rule (AMA Chartered club that is) becomes an extension of the AMA safety code for that club. So, if the local club rule says flags, it becomes a safety code rule for that club.

BasinBum 11-01-2004 12:02 PM

Having just scanned through part 95 I didn't see any requirement for the red 72 flag. Now time to dig up that crystal swapping thread.

iflyj3 11-01-2004 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Now time to dig up that crystal swapping thread.
OH NO, don't go there!!!!![:o][:o][:o][:o]

Hossfly 11-01-2004 06:44 PM

FYI

This transpired just recently:

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>
You made me look! It appears (and I don't remember when the change was made) that the only requirement (recommendation actually) is the channel number plaque now for 72 MHz. The frequency committee made some change over the last two years. I did not realize myself that this was no longer in the manual.

While I've not purchased a new (complete) system in a while myself, from what I've seen the majority still come with the red streamer and channel plaque.

Steve Kaluf
Technical Director

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 7:26 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Frequency question

Hello Steve:

What happened to the rule, or was there one, that the red flag with "Aircraft Only" should be displayed on the end of our RC airplane transmitter antennas?

Can't find it in the Mbr. Manual anymore. Was I just dreaming?

I have not purchased a radio in some time. Do the flags still come with all radios?

Any info. welcome.

Thanks

Horrace Cain
AMA L-93