RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Why do you belong to the AMA ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/2407317-why-do-you-belong-ama.html)

rcmiket 12-06-2004 04:50 PM

Why do you belong to the AMA ?

Ok I've been reading the post for a while now so here's your chance. Plain and simple,Why?

Red Scholefield 12-06-2004 05:14 PM

RE: Why do you belong to the AMA ?

Nice poll, if you are not interested in the real reason many of us joint the AMA.

Try adding:

I believe in supporting model aviation at at local, regional and national levels. and the AMA is the best means presently available to do this.

mongo 12-06-2004 05:33 PM

and don't ferget those of us who enjoy being a thorn in the side of the powers that be.
as in, ifn i could keep my leader member status and right to vote on bylaws with out being a member, i would allow it to lapse.

js3 12-06-2004 05:34 PM

Here's another one for your poll:

Because in order to fly in AMA sanctioned events/competitions, I must be an AMA member.

That and to support modeling are my reasons.

rcmiket 12-06-2004 05:34 PM

But I am interested thats why I asked. Once again a simple question turned into a attack on the AMA.-Mike

Scar 12-06-2004 05:40 PM

Uh... Mike, look at your results so far. Viewed 29 times, as I read it, 5 responses, two in the empty button. These say your "poll" is not all-encompassing. My impression is as you state, that you're interested in making a simple attack on the AMA. Did you want to edit your poll so it doesn't give me that impression?

3 responses to non-blank selections out of about 30 viewers, you might want to rephrase.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

But I am interested thats why I asked. Once again a simple question turned into a attack on the AMA.-Mike

Live Wire 12-06-2004 06:56 PM

Gives me the right to complain when I want to if you don't belong you really and no say![>:]:D
What more fun can I have for $48.00

[8D]

Jim Thomerson 12-06-2004 07:01 PM

Because the AMA holds organized competitions for me, and because it is the umbrella organization supporting all model aviation in the USA. It is interesting that you have no clue to how I see things.

Jim

JohnBuckner 12-06-2004 07:04 PM

OK Here are the three most important reasons, none of which fits your poll therefore I did not vote:

!. First and foremost The AMA supports national and international competition. Neither of which would exists in this country if it were not for the efforts of The AMA. If it were not for such competitions we would not be enjoying the vast and everyday advantage of technical improvements that are occuriing at a spell binding pace as we speak.

2. The AMA museum! Absolutely vital. There have been vast store of national modeling treasures lost forever and there would be even more if it were not for the museum and archives. If we forget our heretage in the name of saving a few bucks each then we become an embarassment in the eyes of the modeling world else where.

3. The ability to travel almost anywhere in the country and enjoy events both fun and competitive something that would not happen without the unifying fabric of a strong national organization and there was just a hodge podge of local clubs and or organiztions. The ability to travel and enjoy would be chaotic.

In retrospect although I do not like the current leadership of the AMA, the organization is absolutely vital. By the way I love the idea of the national flying site and support it wholeheartedly even though I may never get there I can still dream! On a last note two items: Yes I like the magazine just fine and I can count on coverage of venues other than RC. Lastly I fly locally at a municiple site and AMA is not! required but I remain a member.

John

crownvic 12-06-2004 07:53 PM

It seems to be the only way one can join a club or fly at any organised flying field and to do so I have become a member of the AMA. Its my choice! I can always quit!

Lonnie

Jim Messer 12-06-2004 08:48 PM

I like the AMA.

I would have preferred to see Dave Mathewson elected as Pres., but since that didn't happen, will live with the results. I joined the AMA in 1941, and have been a consecutive member now for 63 years. The AMA has provided for me a hobby that has made my life complete. When I was young, I flew competition free flight, and attended every Nats when it was held in Chicago and Phila. I met guys like Carl Goldberg, Sal Tabi, Leon Schulman, Ed Keck, and a host of others that I have forgotten. Free flight was followed by U-control, and I lived close to Hal deBolt, so I competed against him for many years, although in reality I was no competition. He was always one jump ahead of the rest of us. In the fifties, Hal deBolt got us all interested in R/C, and that led to a competitive relationship with him, Vern Kriebel, Leonard Wagner, Nick Ziroli, and Ed Keck was there also. Bob Dunham made me one of the very first Orbit 7-14 digital radios, after meeting him at the King Orange meet in Florida one year. In 1975 I owned the very first Quadra 35 in the USA, and put the Quadra engine on the market soon afterward. That was the start of Giant Scale as we know it today, and through that business I became friends with at least a thousand customers.

Back in the free flight days I attended the NY Mirror model airplane meet where 150,000 spectators turned out to watch. (Can you believe that?) Leon Schulman was the contest director. In 1947 I attended the 2nd. International free flight meet sponsord by the Plymouth Motor Corp. in Detroit, where the top 500 modelers selected worldwide competed against one another.

I have been in gas powered modeling now for 63 years, and I have designed and built many different airplanes. Now retired from an engineering job for 18 years, designing, building, and flying models is what keeps my mind active and my body alive.

So why do I like the AMA? The answer is simply that "NONE OF THE ABOVE" would have happened without the AMA. Say what you like, but the AMA has provided for me a lifetime of events that has only cost me a "pittance in dues" compared to the return I have received. Therefore, I shall always support the AMA no matter what, and I will never put the organization down.

captinjohn 12-06-2004 10:45 PM

Yes it was nice for you....but for the average RC person it is mostly a insurance thing clubs and AMA Say we need to fly RC. If the dues was cut in half more of us would join. The membership woud grow and the AMA would still get enough money to run. The AMA itself has to cut back on neat stuff only the rich can get too see. Us average joes just cannot afford to go to Muncie and travel to places where the AMA does have something going on neat.

Hossfly 12-06-2004 11:58 PM

Where's the attack on AMA? I see some comments on a very poorly orchestrated poll. I voted on the one with no reason. Red and John Buckner gave excellent answers, none of which were in your poll.

Polls are worthless when you don't adequately understand the problem/issue so as to encompass the subject.

The Democrats and the News media certainly learned that with their 2004 presidential *Exit* polling. Neither have any understanding of "Moral Reasons."

There are some of us still remaining that believe in the true worth of something regardless of those that really want to tear it down, get it free, or feel it *cool* to downgrade it. It's not really a function of age. For example consider those old news anchors that wish to destroy government of the people and then think about all those young volunteers that are going forth to help preserve it.

Think your poll through, understand the issues then see how interested you remain. Under the current AMA Leadership the poll will reflect because of the insurance.

crownvic 12-07-2004 08:57 AM

Of course it is going to turn into a bash of the ama what else does a question like why are you a member of the ama going to promote?

JMO LONNIE

J_R 12-07-2004 09:54 AM

I am at a loss as to how you determined the results of your poll equate to an attack on the AMA. I think anyone that has read a few of the posts in this forum, or has talked to AMA members at the field, knows that the huge majority joined the AMA because some club told them they had to have the insurance to join/fly at the club, or a CD told them to join if they want to fly in a sanctioned event. Whose fault is that? It's easy enough to blame the club officers or CD that take the new members dues when he joins the club, or flys at an event. Those club officers, or CDs, do not take the time to make a presentation as to what the AMA is... or is not. That's bologana.

The real fault lies with the AMA. The leaders of the AMA know what the perception of the new member is. Something needs to be done to inform the new member of just what the AMA is. The written materials sent to the new member are woefully inadequate to do the job. Is this an attack on the AMA? No, it is just my opinion and suggest that action is necessary. I support the AMA.

The 75 or so regular members of this forum try to shed light on the activities of the AMA. We throw out information, beat on each other and try to educate those with views based on misconceptions and misinformation. We present ideas, and highlight weaknesses... as well as strengths of the AMA. Very little is sacred here. At the same time, most of us support the AMA. If you believe otherwise, you need to read more of the threads in this forum.

CFRACR 12-07-2004 07:12 PM

I like the AMA for the membership stickers. They look great all over my field box:D[sm=lol.gif]

Cursor 12-07-2004 08:03 PM

Guys, I see a lot of bashing going on, and a fair amount of defending... What I'm really wondering out of all of this is simple: why don't some of you guys that feel so strongly one way or the other get involved? I was reading this forum to get a better picture, or a better idea of what is important to AMA members. Jim Messer did an excellent job of "explaining" AMA, but kept his comments personal by relating his experiences. John Buckner finished breaking it down in a more objective mannner.

I like the AMA, too. If it didn't exist, we would most certainly have to invent it. For reasons, see Buckner and Messer, et al.

That said, there are definitely things I don't like about AMA, and that I'm working to change. I do that on my own time, free of charge (most of the "perks" attributed to AMA officers are are -- and mostly always were -- fiction). In fact, I agree with a lot of the criticism I'm reading, but my impulse is to work for change, not blow the whole thing up.

Organizations are made of people; either people who are paid, or volunteers. By and large, AMA is a volunteer organization. Volunteer organizations are much harder to run, because it's much harder to hire and fire volunteers (they are a little cheaper to pay, however).

The main problem AMA has is apathy on the part of the membership. Go read the vote totals for the recent election. Most people can't be bothered. The Academy MUST do a better job of explaining itself to the members. And for those debating the relevance of Model Aviation, let me point out that the mag is the only viable way the organization has to do that. Plus MA covers ALL aspects of modeling; not just RC, which is becoming rare these days. Can we improve the content and distribute it better? Certainly.

I would urge those that have enough spare time to post concerns here to get involved -- in their club, in their area, in their District. For starters, vote in the elections. Write or call your VP or AVP. If we have an "Old Boy" network, (debatable) then it's constantly hiring...

Rick Allison
AMA Dist XI AVP

Red Scholefield 12-07-2004 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Cursor

I would urge those that have enough spare time to post concerns here to get involved -- in their club, in their area, in their District. For starters, vote in the elections. Write or call your VP or AVP. If we have an "Old Boy" network, (debatable) then it's constantly hiring...

Rick Allison
AMA Dist XI AVP
And for those that think there is no use, things can be changed. Look what they did in D-I and D-V in the last election. You will just have to get off your duffs and do something more than grouse about the problems you perceive. As Rick says - GET INVOLVED!

Jim Branaum 12-07-2004 11:42 PM

Hey mongo,
I been told that keeping your membership current dont 'zactly mean you will be a leader member. There be unknown folks who make unknown complaints to YOUR VP that wind up being used to start proceedings to remove leader membership status that from you. All over internet talk, or so I have been told.

mongo 12-08-2004 01:23 AM

yeah, probably so, but ,at least as far as i remember the proceedures, they do have to inform ya of the pending action, and allow ya to respond.

Jim Branaum 12-08-2004 01:36 PM

I thought that was true, but I have been told that some DVP's don't have to tell you who filed the complaint or what it was about when they notify you that action is pending and to expect the certified mail. I was even told that when questioned, the action was dropped and the DVP didn't even have a record of it. I suppose one could assume that was a threat, but no reasonable sane DVP would do that, would they?

Red Scholefield 12-08-2004 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: mongo

yeah, probably so, but ,at least as far as i remember the proceedures, they do have to inform ya of the pending action, and allow ya to respond.
Yes there are proceedures, but I can verify that these are not necessarily followed. The AMA can receive a complaint. You can get a letter from the AMA President that there has been a complaint, he will not give you any details, who/what, but he will offer you the option of voluntarily resigning your Leader Member status or face possible expulsion from the AMA should they have to go further with the case.

mongo 12-08-2004 03:24 PM

and one should always force em to go forward.

make em use that " due process" thing that they were so intent on shoving down all the club's throats. cause, fer certain, they can not claim that they do not know about "due process".

Red Scholefield 12-08-2004 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: mongo

and one should always force em to go forward.

make em use that " due process" thing that they were so intent on shoving down all the club's throats. cause, fer certain, they can not claim that they do not know about "due process".
In the case under discussion the individual being charged stonewalled the President and refused to resign. The case was then dropped "for lack of sufficient reason to expel".

In the same vein, ignoring of By-Laws by VPs in how they conducted business in their Districts did not merit any action on the art of the EC. The members in those Districts finally took the matter into their hands and corrected the problem with their votes.

Based on these observations it could be safe to say the AMA By-Laws and Standing Rules are to be applied when convenient and ignored when not.

abel_pranger 12-08-2004 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

In the case under discussion the individual being charged stonewalled the President and refused to resign. The case was then dropped "for lack of sufficient reason to expel".

The individual being charged apparently has brains and balls; makes it a real PITA for control freaks. ;)

Makes one wonder what "sufficient reason to expel" would be. Were I to be expelled from AMA I could no longer pursue my hobby at clubs I've belonged to for many years. That is, until some stuffed suits got called into a courtroom to explain why. Expect there would be some wild flapping and sqawking over what reason is sufficient then.

Abel