RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   What if ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/2422446-what-if.html)

ira d 12-11-2004 01:57 AM

What if ?

In this scenario an ama member goes to a ama flying site crashes his plane in the pit
area. several other ama members are hurt and there planes damaged by the crash.

Then he is accused of breaking saffety code rule # three careless and reckless flying.
the ama says that they wont pay on his behalf and he has no other ins.

Is the ama of the hook here ? seems to me they would be libel on behalf of the other
members the club and the site owner.

Just thinking like to here some ideas i have not seen the scenario actually happen
just had a thought.

Jim Branaum 12-11-2004 02:04 AM

RE: What if ?

Rather than getting confused and beat up with bad data and those who recognize the bad stuff, on Monday call Carl Maroney and ask him directly.

I am pretty sure I know what he is going to say, but I will let you report it blind so everyone can get educated.

TexasAirBoss 12-11-2004 02:37 AM

In 25 years, and not all of that was at AMA feilds, I have put a few dents in the runway, but I have never seen anyone crash on the wrong side of the flight line.

The scenario would be almost unimaginable to me until I saw airplanes hovering. Or trying to hover.

Your scenario now seems likely.

I am curious.

Mougly 12-11-2004 05:28 AM

Yo,

So you have never seen a new pilot bounce a landing in a crosswind and end up in the pits?
So you have never seen a radio hit and end up in the pits?
So you have never seen a battery die and end up in the pits?
So you have never seen a mechanical failure and end up in the pits?
So you have never seen a *stuff* happens and end up in the pits?
So you have never been involved in trolling a thread before?

Mougly

Roquewj 12-11-2004 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

In 25 years, and not all of that was at AMA feilds, I have put a few dents in the runway, but I have never seen anyone crash on the wrong side of the flight line.

Few years ago at a Florida Jets I saw a turbine powered jet crash behind the flight line, just on top of the other pilots.
Fortunately it missed everyone and crashed in the ground inches away from a very expensive SUV.

J_R 12-11-2004 10:20 AM

Hi Ira

First, if you keep your copies of MA, go back and look for an article written by Carl Maroney, Director of AMA Special Services, regarding “what if’s”. The article was within the last year. Essentially, he will not attempt to answer such questions. Why? Well, it is nearly impossible for you to come up with all the mitigating circumstances surrounding a “what if”, thus, making it impossible to give a legitimate answer. If you want to follow up on your question, the AMA Show will be held in Ontario, just a few miles from you, next month. You can buttonhole Carl and he will explain some of the elements you are asking about. He probably will not attempt to answer your “what if”, To give you an idea, and it’s only one element, you did not say if it was the first pass over the pits where the plane lost control, or if control was lost during repeated passes over the pits. Another element is that there is only one “AMA site”… the one in Muncie. Your choice of the words “AMA site” is incorrect, other than Muncie. Not trying to nit pick here, just pointing out why “what if’s” are almost impossible to answer. You are asking for a legal answer and you would have to supply correct legal jargon at the least.

Having said that, you need to be aware of some things that are known. The AMA’s coverage, generally, does not cover damage to planes or equipment under the policy provided. The policy is with a commercial carrier, and not with the AMA, other than the amount covered by self insurance. The policy provided to the landlord is not subject to the restrictions of the Safety Code. IF the club has no other insurance, the AMA provided policy is primary, but is subject to the Safety Code. IF the AMA member has no other insurance, the policy provided by the AMA is primary, but is subject to the Safety Code. When there is a major incident, an investigator is sent to the scene to determine the facts surrounding the incident.

Not very helpful? I agree, but, it is the nature of insurance. If you have access to an attorney, and can live with what he might charge you for an opinion, you can get a copy of the policy from AMA HQ for $5 (to cover the cost of making the copy).

Hossfly 12-11-2004 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

The scenario would be almost unimaginable to me until I saw airplanes hovering. Or trying to hover.

Your scenario now seems likely.

I am curious.

Hey Barney, I saw that at your primary field when Jetero and Fighter Fld. had those interclub races. Several of those Swizzle Sticks went astray.

Hey Barney, I have seen that right here at Jetero. About six years ago a Visitor's P-51 missed me by less than 2 ft as it went over my head in an inverted 60° dive into the ground burying a .46 almost a foot.

Hey, Barney, I saw another "experienced" visitor land behind himself and fast taxi right through the pit between the shelter and the flight stations. By request, he never "visited'' Jetero again.

3D is bad enough but everyday flying has provided the utmost thrills. :D

TexasAirBoss 12-11-2004 08:53 PM

Gee Hossfly,

I was about to post another thread suggesting that the reason I hadn't seen such an accident was because our fields are layed out so well, and with a good deal of input ( I imagine ) from you. Shhhhh !

I guess if the flight line is stretched to infinity, I did see one (a fan) go in at Bomber.

I am very surprised how often you have witnessed this at our feild. I would have guessed this was a once in a lifetime occurence. Maybe it has something to do with just how busy a feild is. You know I tend to shy away from the crowds. And since we don't have an instructor program at Fighter, I tend to refer newbies to Jtro. ( so maybe I had a hand in your accounts ) Consequently we are an experienced and seasoned bunch and rarely have even one rookie on the feild.

What a day, huh ? 70 and no wind. Tommorrow should be near 80 !

There is scuttle that our land is for sale. You may see me with a hard hat regularly.

Hossfly, you should come over sometime. The pace is very relaxed, the crowds are small, and it is just a very pieceful place.

crownvic 12-12-2004 11:15 AM

Soon the AMA will add an other fee for unisured flyers !

Lonnie