RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA card and County card? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/2434976-ama-card-county-card.html)

xDennis 12-15-2004 12:16 AM

AMA card and County card?

Hey Guys,
Some of you may know that I am new to Airplanes. An instructor told me before I fly I have to register with AMA , then after that I have to send a check with photocopy of AMA card to some county office so I can get a county card..Is this all true? I don't want to send off more money then I should have to. I do plan on registereing AMA and the county, but Can I fly my plane at the county park before I am registered or is it like a license of some sorts?

Thanks,
Dennis R

Jim Branaum 12-15-2004 12:25 AM

RE: AMA card and County card?

Well..yes, and no.

What he is trying to say is that the field he (and you) are flying at is owned by the county and THEY want you to prove your AMA membership. As for the cost of the county ticket, that is between you and the county.

I suspect that if you try to fly at a county park without the benefits of an AMA membership and the local county card, there may be some liability you will discover when the sherif (or representative) hands you a citation. A call to the county supervisor/commissioner's office should yield you an education.

scottrc 12-15-2004 01:18 PM

Since we fly on municipal land, I have talked to others who do the same, and some have told me that the city, county, or state will require park use permits, which require a fee. they do this with golf coarses and sports parks as well. Like was said, you may be using county land for a private activity, so they will require you to have a permit.

xDennis 12-15-2004 01:50 PM

Makes Sense,
I don't have a problem registering AMA or even locally, I just wasnt sure about the local part. Thanks for that clarification guys. :)

Dennis R

goliath-RCU 12-16-2004 09:39 PM

i fly at Waymer field in Huntersville and i have to pay $20 per year for ama verification.

pettit 12-21-2004 12:05 PM

What, exactly, is "AMA Verification"? I have an AMA card in my wallet. Isn't that verification enough?

Maybe you mean "club dues".

I certainly hope so, because you're getting taken for a ride for that 20 bucks if you need to verify that you belong to AMA.

Jim Thomerson 12-21-2004 01:59 PM

At Buder Park in St. Louis, a local person needs a county permit. These are given out for the county by the Greater St. Louis Model Association for free (but it is customary to make a $10 donation to the GSLMA park maintenance account.) As I understand it, as an out-of-town guest, all I need is my AMA license.

Geistware 12-21-2004 02:20 PM

SO do these county parks have clubs?
Do the clubs have dues?
What is the role of the club and the parks department when it comes to the property and it's use.

stuk_at_work 12-21-2004 03:02 PM

To fly at our field you need:

An AMA card (for insurance)
-AND-
either Be a dues paying member of our club or a (paid for) park permit.

Sounds like the same deal for you.

stuk_at_work 12-21-2004 03:04 PM

-Dup Post. Please delete.

P-51B 12-21-2004 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Geistware

SO do these county parks have clubs?
Do the clubs have dues?
What is the role of the club and the parks department when it comes to the property and it's use.

Back when I lived in St. Louis, Buder park was maintained by the county. There were no "dues" other than getting the county permit. Clubs had no role whatsoever in any policing or maintenance or access control, etc. Anyone could fly whether they were in a club or not.

wyldman 12-21-2004 11:19 PM

We have the same thing here in Jackson county MO. you must be an AMA member for the insurance and you have to purchase a parks permit to fly at the field, which is owned and maintained by the county.
you do not have to be a club member to fly in a Jackson park, there are 3 fields available to fly at ( 2 for fixed wings with heli's and one for Heli only)and they are about 10 miles apart all are nicely maintained by the parks so well worth the price of the permit.
flying without the permit, if caught will cost you five times the price of the permit when you pay the ticket and then you will still have to get a permit.
there are 4 clubs and they also help maintain the runway and pits at the three sites.
the only problem is deceiding which field to fly at today.
WYLDMAN

RC-Captain 12-26-2004 10:48 PM

Not to steer anybody wrong but, I have been flying in county parks for 4 years and never have been asked for my AMA card by anyone. This is not to say you shouldn't get the card but, it should help you relax a little on the tecnicallities .

I would call AMA or look it up on the web, and get as much information as you can. Some county parks ban RC planes and some don't . I have been lucky enough to find a bunch that don't. When I do find one that does, normally there is a huge sign stating NO RC AIRCRAFT ALLOWED.

Can you fly without AMA , I would say most deffinitely yes. But you will not be insured in the event you hit someones car or hit someone period. :)

All jokes aside get AMA before you fly , it makes everyone flying RC craft feel alot more secure.