RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA Junior Membership (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/2530051-ama-junior-membership.html)

wes00 01-11-2005 11:21 PM

AMA Junior Membership

I just mailed my first application to get a Junior AMA membership. I have been flying since I was 13 with the help of a very skilled and intelligent instructor. The AMA dosen't really influence the R/C fliers in the Smith Center Kansas Area (the center of the united states). We really don't have an organized AMA club but we still just get together and fly. Well now I am 16 and want to pursue AMA competitions like pattern and aerobatics. With a Junior membership what benefits do I receive and is it just like the regular memberships.

Thanks Wes

Hossfly 01-12-2005 01:49 PM

RE: AMA Junior Membership

At 16 you need a SENIOR membership. If you paid for the magazine you will get that same as an Open member.

You get everything else except the right to vote in elections which is reserved for Open members and Bylaws changes which require a Leader Member standing, also an Open member.

Enjoy the contest trail.

rw Guinn 01-12-2005 01:59 PM

Actually, It depends on your age at renewal. My son turned 19 last August, but his membership for 2004 was Senior, not Open. If your 16th Birthday falls after Jan 1, you are a Junior.
Not that it matters a whole lot--the membership cost is the same for Jr or Sr...$1.00 witout, $15.00 with magazine...

Hossfly 01-12-2005 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: rw Guinn

Actually, It depends on your age at renewal. My son turned 19 last August, but his membership for 2004 was Senior, not Open. If your 16th Birthday falls after Jan 1, you are a Junior.
Not that it matters a whole lot--the membership cost is the same for Jr or Sr...$1.00 witout, $15.00 with magazine...

True, a mute point in the total operation, however IMO, when a newbie asks a sincere question, information provided should be true or not given at all.

The AMA Jr./Sr'Open age determination date is JULY 01 of the membership year. Wes says he is 16 NOW. He just applied for AMA Mbershp. and his post is dated 01/11/05 therefore his application is for 2005. He is an AMA SENIOR. He will not make it to 19 by 07/01/05 (If he does, AMA class is a much smaller concern [X(]) so he is now a Senior.

Your son was an AMA Junior in 2004 due to being 19 in Aug. which comes after the month of July in any given calendar year. [X(]

He should be an Open member in 2005. Guess that depends on how you report the birth date.:eek:

All the info. is on the membership application, web and in MA. In addition the subject is well discussed in the AMA Membership Manual.

wes00 01-12-2005 10:36 PM

Thanks for the information, I guess i wont stay under 19 forever so i will try to enjoy the cheaper membership while i can:eek:

SoonerAce 01-13-2005 03:40 AM

Wes, have you or or any of your flying buddies considered starting a charter club in your area?

wes00 01-13-2005 06:35 PM

I think in the past they had an organized AMA charter club but the people that started it moved away and I guess people stop flying. But now since more people are taking up the hobby i hope we can become an organized club.