RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA Unsolicited CD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/2700064-ama-unsolicited-cd.html)

njrcflyer 02-25-2005 06:00 PM

AMA Unsolicited CD

I have known Dave Brown for over 30 years and generally agree with his thinking. However, sending unsolicited mail and requesting payment is out of bounds for both the AMA and I am surprised Dave you have added your name to this tactic.
We have pushed hard to get legislation to stop unwanted phone calls and E-mails. Plaese stop this unwanted mail. It is costly to send and return and does little to add to AMA revenue.

the-plumber 02-25-2005 06:06 PM

RE: AMA Unsolicited CD

You must be under the impression that Dave Brown reads this forum.

CDignition 02-25-2005 06:09 PM

lol..I just got the same CD today..just keep it...;)

Gordon Mc 02-25-2005 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: CDignition

lol..I just got the same CD today..just keep it...;)
or toss it in the trash, then use the pre-paid postage return to send back the empty envelope, or fill it with some other junk-mail.

Chopper Bob 02-25-2005 06:45 PM

I got mine yesterday. And the cheesy metal. Watched it last night. It's not to bad. But I'm not going to pay 9 bucks for it. I thought it kind of sucked getting a dvd by mail and asking to pay for it. I'm a new member, do they do this often? I'm building my trainer now and there is some usefull info on the dvd. But I've done my research and I knew everything that was presented on it. I just hope this is'nt a common thing by getting this stuff in the mail[&o].

Ted Boz 02-25-2005 06:53 PM

Got my "wonderful" CD today. Was this a revenue raising tactic by AMA and if so, who on the staff or the Executive Council approved it? Wonder how much this cost the membership? Bet it made John Beech dba Model Sport Video Magazine happy!

abel_pranger 02-25-2005 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Chopper Bob

I got mine yesterday. And the cheesy metal. Watched it last night. It's not to bad. But I'm not going to pay 9 bucks for it. I thought it kind of sucked getting a dvd by mail and asking to pay for it. I'm a new member, do they do this often? I'm building my trainer now and there is some usefull info on the dvd. But I've done my research and I knew everything that was presented on it. I just hope this is'nt a common thing by getting this stuff in the mail[&o].

Chopper Bob -
No. they don't do it often. It's the first they have screwed up in this particular manner that I can recall. Do just as you said, don't pay for it (you have no obligation to), and you'll encourage them to not do it henceforth.

Abel

bps 02-25-2005 09:08 PM

I must say that I am very dissapointed that the AMA would spend money on sending unsolicited items. The issue is not if I want to keep it and pay the $9.00 or send it back by no charge mail. The damage has been done by sending it and spending the money to send it in the first place. I sure hope that the AMA does not have my fax number, I get enough junk fax mail the way it is! If this is a beginers video, I would have no use for it. I have flown for many years, but giving it to someone that could use it makes sense. I wonder if the new AMA Executive Director is behind this? His mission is to gain new members. I with a lot of others in that I would rather have a chance to voice my opinion on this kind of thing BEFORE it happens.
JEB:D

Kevgofly 02-25-2005 10:10 PM

I received one yesterday also. VERY TACKY! I can't believe AMA has stooped to this level! The video was ... ok at best, I could pick it apart, but I believe it has potential, but unsolicited mail of this nature is a waste and borderline on ethical. This is a cheap tactic, and whatever the goal, it's a poor way to achieve it in my opinion.

I've been a member of AMA for 25 years, (in a hobby that I can say gave my younger years direction and kept me off the streets and out of trouble) and I think I have now seen the organization at its lowest point.

Kev

typicalaimster 02-25-2005 10:57 PM

I though it'd be something cool. Like don't use an electric starter, or lipo batteries. I'm part of the ADHD generation. If it doesn't have blood and violence I'm not going to watch it. Not to mention the bigger the explosion the better!

If you look you have to check that stupid box saying don't send me junk, and send the DVD back. What happens if you don't! Well the AMA already has your Name and Address so it's very easy for them to put you in collections for the $9 + collections fees! Not to mention because you owe them money they could charge you MORE on next years dues or revoke your membership all together. Of course all this is very radical but can be practical. Look how much BMG music pulls in by their little 20 CD's for $20 scam!

So just do like I did. Find a nice brick, shovel, neighbors kid, dead body, whatever! Remeber that the USPS charges by WEIGHT, so the heavier the better! Attach the DVD and box to the object of your choice with some sort of adhesive. I'd suggest Duct Tape or if you want to be creative and monokote it go right ahead. Then place the mailing label on your package and take it to the local post office. AMA pays for everything, plus it's one less brick you have to get rid of!

Had this been summer time I'd suggest getting some cheap canned tuna! I think the cat food isle has it for $0.25 a can, and on some days even cheaper! Open the can and dispence the contents into the box the DVD came in. Wrap in tape and place the label on the box. By the time the box gets to the AMA the foul smell will remind them of why they shouldn't send junk mail. For kicks use a $0.10 feeder gold fish you get at the local pet store.

--Scott

TexasAirBoss 02-25-2005 11:04 PM

UNICEF, CARE, PBS, and now the AMA. Do you have any idea how much mail I get requesting donations? Well, guess what. I give away to the ones I believe in and I don't give to the ones that overlap or represent causes that I don't believe in. AMA? Sure, what the heck, I'll give them a few bucks. You can whine about the generals all you want, but remember they are on our side. It is rare for them to ask for support of this manner and when they do a good soldier doesn't take a step backwards, he steps up. Thier cause is our cause. We may argue about tactics but I believe that all the parties involved are good people and believe in what they are doing. 9 bucks ? I'll give them 50 !

last12know 02-26-2005 01:37 AM

unsolicited mail is as good as a gift. I will not pay for nor will I go to the trouble to repackage something I did not ask for. I hope some one from the AMA does read this and other forums (this is not the only discussion about this) and realize the majority of the member who recieved this package did not want it. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Coin_of_little_value/m_2698134/tm.htm]coin of little value[/link]

cwrr5 02-26-2005 05:27 AM

Yeah, I was kind of thinking about using the coin as nose weight too... :D

AMA can keep their crap. Bad enough we all have to be members just to fly(different LONG discussion), but now we get stuff in the mail unsolicited, and they expect payment? HA! [:@][:@][:@][:'(]

knightmagic 02-26-2005 07:12 AM

As far as I know unsolisited mail is a gift payment should not be expected

randall1959 02-26-2005 09:51 AM

I'm sure glad YOU have fifty dollars to throw away. As for me, if I didn't ask for the damned thing DON'T ship it to me. PERIOD

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

UNICEF, CARE, PBS, and now the AMA. Do you have any idea how much mail I get requesting donations? Well, guess what. I give away to the ones I believe in and I don't give to the ones that overlap or represent causes that I don't believe in. AMA? Sure, what the heck, I'll give them a few bucks. You can whine about the generals all you want, but remember they are on our side. It is rare for them to ask for support of this manner and when they do a good soldier doesn't take a step backwards, he steps up. Thier cause is our cause. We may argue about tactics but I believe that all the parties involved are good people and believe in what they are doing. 9 bucks ? I'll give them 50 !

Gordon Mc 02-26-2005 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

LOL ... what on earth makes you think that the AMA gets the $9 ? The marketing, distribution etc is almost certainly being done by a third party company that makes a huge profit on each DVD, and pays a paltry little percentage of their profits to the AMA. It's not uncommon for such companies to keep 95% or more of the profits, so don't be surprised if the AMA sees only 50 cents of the $9 that you thought you were giving them.

If you really want to donate to the AMA, then donate directly to the AMA and NOT to some sleazy marketing organization.

Gordon

Rebellion 02-26-2005 12:53 PM

Great, more junk mail. If the AMA needs donations, let me know directly, I'll do what I can to help.

If the AMA wants to produce CDs I would like to suggest the following. Produce a CD showing various aspects of modeling and the benefits of joining. Then distribute them to hobby shops around the country to be given out for free. Yes, free. I'm sure it would be costly, but that is a cause I would donate to. If done properly, it could entice some of the parkflier crowd into moving up in performance and joining our ranks.

khodges 02-26-2005 02:20 PM

Holy Cow! This is my first visit to this thread in this forum; I have posted on this subject in the Clubhouse, but didn't realize there was more over here. It's nice to see confirmation of a feeling that I had wondered whether I was off base about; I see now that I am in good company, and I'm glad to see other's opinions that are similar to mine about this disc mailout.

J_R 02-26-2005 03:19 PM

Hi Gordon

I apologize.

You are were absolutely correct in your assesment of the membership, as proven by the posts here and the lack of ability of those posting to have even found the prior thread on this subject, even though it was started by RCadmin.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Anyb...2688010/tm.htm

At the time this thread was started, the other was two lines below it.

Incredible. I would never have believed it.

Sorry for my harsh words.

JR

Live Wire 02-26-2005 03:24 PM

Interesting way they have the letter worded, Trying to make you feel guilty:eek: 7 coins and a display case. and every thing is handled in Pa. with even a personal autograph:D:D
$$ to Mn.
[8D]

Gordon Mc 02-26-2005 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: J_R
Sorry for my harsh words.
Huh ? I don't recall seeing any harsh words - just honest discussion. As far as I'm concerned spirited discussion of AMA related topics is what this forum is all about - I mean, this IS a discussion forum after all, not an agreement forum - right ? ;)

tailskid 02-26-2005 07:42 PM

Something FREE that deals with aviation.....I'll gladly accept donations from any company - for FREE.....only in America :)

Jerry

carwood444 02-27-2005 07:51 AM

Ok what's up with this DVD or CD I haven't gotten mine yet. WA WA. [&o]I'm hurt. you guys are having all the fun.:) Gosh what's the big deal? I they sent it to you and you don't want to pay the 9 bucks stick it under the TV with the rest of your DVD's and forget about it. If I get one I will probably watch it. Put it with the rest of the worthless DVD's and CD's I have collected over the years and forget about it. Maybe this 9 bucks is the amount AMA is going to raise due next year.[&o]

Anybody that responds to unsolicited mail is just asking for more of it. Just like junk emails. Once you respond your name will be on everybodys list. Set your wheel borrow out by the mail box you are going to need it.

SST 02-27-2005 08:17 AM

My wife got one of these yesterday. I guess mine's still out there. But the thing that enrages me is the way there's this 'you WILL send us $9.00' thing going that will likely sucker some folks who may not be familiar with the laws about unsolicited mail (remember guys, that whole stink was many years ago, and the younger folks won't even remember it and are perhaps unaware of the laws about it) to actually send their extortion money in. Then they WILL be obligated to at least deal with the junk that will start arriving monthly. I just hope the AMA doesn't have any of OUR money riding on this scam...It's already gonna be easy enough for me to remember who was on the executive board when the next set of ballots arrives. Funny how this crap didn't start until AFTER the election, ain't it?

airega1 02-27-2005 08:28 AM

Look guys, why all the hate and contempt targeted at the AMA? I win this way, I watch the cd and simply return it, why get your blood boiling. AMA needs to do more useful things with the monies they receive.