RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   DVD Followup (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/2729471-dvd-followup.html)

J_R 03-05-2005 10:16 AM

DVD Followup

Posted on the DVIII List:
Hello, 8list,

Soon there will be a followup letter sent out to some that got the
Number#1 AMA DVD...

It will be sent out to all who got the DVD and have Neither returned it (post prepaid ) nor paid for it...

There is still no need to reply or do anything at all... whatsoever....!!!!!!!

I would ask that If you choose NOT to keep this DVD

that you pass it on for others especially NON modelers to see it...

AGAIN the DVD cost the AMA ZERO $$$ (AT ALL !!)

and has the potential to share modeling with others...

PLEASE DO NOT BE PUT OFF by this reminder...letter...

their production company has spent BIG $$$ in doing this and hopes for some return...

ONLY those who choose to pay for the first DVD will be getting the second one on

the same approval and pay for it if you like it basis...

Best regards.

sfrank69
[email protected]
2005-03-05

GAP-RCU 03-05-2005 12:23 PM

RE: DVD Followup

I received a follow-up letter a few weeks ago, as I was apparently among the first wave to receive the DVD. I guess that is the same one Mr. Frank is speaking about. The follow-up had the same look, feel, walk, talk, and quack as the original mailing. Hence, my reaction was the same too. And YES, I did read it! :)

Gary

Hossfly 03-05-2005 01:08 PM

I would ask that If you choose NOT to keep this DVD

that you pass it on for others especially NON modelers to see it...

AGAIN the DVD cost the AMA ZERO $$$ (AT ALL !!)

and has the potential to share modeling with others...

PLEASE DO NOT BE PUT OFF by this reminder...letter...

their production company has spent BIG $$$ in doing this and hopes for some return...

ONLY those who choose to pay for the first DVD will be getting the second one on

the same approval and pay for it if you like it basis...

Best regards.

sfrank69
[email protected]
Perhaps then they might do well to invest a few pennies more and check those returned ones for being good ones before they send them out again. The one I received was badly damaged, beyond the jet portion, and smudged with finger prints. However they did get the opportunity to pay for the return postage.

To send out a product in such an ill state of repair, for member consideration, displays to me a definite lack of professional quality control within their business.

Having an endorsement by Sandy Frank with:

"PLEASE DO NOT BE PUT OFF by this reminder...letter...
the same approval and pay for it if you like it basis... "

infers to me that due to the production company making an investment, there is some basic responsibility of the receiver to pay or return the unsolicited mailing. Well Sandy, that is the gamble the investor took and is NOT any problem of the receiving AMA member.

If I lay the chips out there, it is MY responsibility to be holding the cards or to bear the loss, not that of the player across the table. [>:]

bps 03-07-2005 06:27 AM

I received the DVD as well a couple of weeks ago. At first I was suprised that the organization was taking the time and spending the money to do this. After viewing the DVD I deturmined it was well done and made many good points, and I enjoyed the audio comments. Just was not my cup of tea, so I packaged it back up and sent it pre-paid back to AMA. Just because this was not for me does not mean that some one else might not enjoy it and decide that the DVD series meets their needs. If overall this does not cost the average member for the AMA to do this, then I have no complaints. I would not however wish to see a dues increase to handle this sort of offering. Just my .0000000000000002 worth!
JEB:D

scottrc 03-07-2005 01:48 PM

Hmmmmm! I remember sending it back, however, upon looking for the DVD that was sent with my subscription renewal to Hustler Magazine, I seem to still have the AMA DVD but cannot find "Larry's Lustfull Ladies Vol IXXX".

Oops![X(]

abel_pranger 03-07-2005 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: scottrc

Hmmmmm! I remember sending it back, however, upon looking for the DVD that was sent with my subscription renewal to Hustler Magazine, I seem to still have the AMA DVD but cannot find "Larry's Lustfull Ladies Vol IXXX".

Oops![X(]
:D:D:D:D

Puhleeeeeze let tha be the one they send to me.:)

Abel

carwood444 03-07-2005 06:09 PM

Abel if i happen to get that one i will burn you a copy.:)

Montague 03-07-2005 06:12 PM

I recently received and viewd the DVD. I thought it was horrible, and a waste of money. I'd never hand that to a beginner and expect them to get anything useful from it. I'm glad the AMA didn't pay anything for it, but I'm a bit concerned about how the mailing list information was handled. I really don't need the AMA giving my personal info to whomever it feels it wants to.

fwiw, the box mine came in was horribly mangled by the post office, so no return is reasonably possible. I was actually surprised the DVD survived given the number of bits the box was in.

As for the follow up letter, I won't be offended by it, but it'll go in to the garbage pretty quickly. No big deal.

goliath-RCU 03-07-2005 06:42 PM

I didn't get a DVD? I'm jealous

Jax RC 03-14-2005 08:39 AM

I dont like being sent anything with a request to keep it and pay or to go to the post office and mail it back. I dont like AMA using my personal info to give out to anyone. To bad American Fliers wasnt still around to switch insurance companies.

J_R 03-14-2005 10:33 AM

Who is/was American Fliers?

You also have the option to keep the DVD as a gift. Read the letter that accompanied it.

You may also opt out of all solicitations

Jax RC 03-15-2005 12:30 PM

Back in the 90's, American Fliers was an RC insurance company. As far as reading the letter or opting out, the point is that all AMA is, is an insurance company. I shouldnt have to opt out of anything. They are there in case I need them... nothing more. It's the same concept as Auto or Home owners insurance. I would be pissed off if Allstate sent me the latest CD from Columbia House. They could even drop the magazine to reduce rates, and that would be fine with me.

J_R 03-15-2005 12:34 PM

I see. Thanks for the info. You seem really knowledgable.

Montague 03-15-2005 01:11 PM

Jax,

I'm not exactly the AMA's biggest booster around, but you need to realize that the AMA over the years has, in fact, done a lot more than provide insurance.

The 72Mhz channels we have now would not exist if it wasn't for the efforts of the AMA. Those channels were highly desired by many commerical users, and we almost had to share the channels with those users. As it is, we have a compromise, we share the band, but the commerical users are in between our channels. It's not perfect, but with out the AMA, we wouldn't even have that. The AMA also serves as our voice when dealing the the various government agencies on any number of topics.

I don't think the AMA is perfect. Far from it. And I really don't like many of the things Dave Brown says and does. And I don't like that the DVD's went out like they did. I really don't like the arragement, but at least the AMA (in theory) didn't spend any money to make it happen, and while the AMA only gets 8% or whatever of the proceeds, and I think the video was badly done (the talking parts. The video of the pilots and their planes was fine, I'm talking about the "beginner" info, that stuff was useless, or worse).

But you should realize the AMA IS more than insurance. If that's all you think it is, you should read up a bit more.

fliers1 03-15-2005 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Jax RC

I dont like being sent anything with a request to keep it and pay or to go to the post office and mail it back. I dont like AMA using my personal info to give out to anyone. To bad American Fliers wasnt still around to switch insurance companies.

Are you thinking of Sports Flyers of America? If so, apparently either there was not enough people in the hobby to suport another modeling organization, or there was too much politics involved. Another organization called United Modelers of America recently folded, mostly because no one even knew they existed, and again was a victim of politics. It took AMA 60 years to get where it is now (150,000 and shrinking) but it has been proven that if any other modeling organization attempted to join in, chances are, they too would not last too long. Many modelers jumped all over SFA and UMA because they didn't/couldn't offer the same benefits that it took AMA 60 years to achieve.

No matter what, all of those who have tried to form modeling organizations and those that still exist suffer from the same lack of growth problem: all need to grow but growth happens to be one man's medicine (RC industry and AMA) and another man's poison (members who fear overcrowded flight lines). Ironically, the profit making end has left all of the in-the-field marketing to the non-profit oriented club member. All AMA has left is to send out DVDs. See: http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/0305/president.htm

Take care,
CCR

rw Guinn 03-15-2005 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: J_R

I see. Thanks for the info. You seem really knowledgable.
Jr--ya gotta remember:
Ignorance is curable. Stupid is forever.
There is none so stupid as he who will not read...
sigh.