RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA magazine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/2856623-ama-magazine.html)

SaltyDog 04-08-2005 11:15 AM

AMA magazine

How many of you would pay the listed price of $4.50 for the AMA magazine that we are forced to take as part of our membership fee. I feel that the magazine should be made optional, with a reduction in membership fee for those who opt out. I think that we already know the answer: AMA would end up printing about 10% of the current number!

MustangFan 04-08-2005 11:33 AM

RE: AMA magazine

Would that mean if we didn't take the magazine our membership would cost $4.00 per year.

$58.00 current dues
$54.00 price per year for magazine (12*$4.50)

Difference= $4.00 :D:D:):eek:

The magazine isn't that good ... but I enjoy reading what other members and districts are up to.

I'm sure they would't drop the membership fee much ... so might as well get the mag..[:o]

gow589 04-08-2005 12:07 PM

Lot of people slam the mag, but the mag is not intended to be a replacement for RC Modeler or anything else. Sure some of the info is boring and isn't always the topics we are interested or involved in but a quick glance will show you what is going on within the membership you belong to. Even the parts your not interested in effect you. You may not be interested in control line modeling but if they started a push to create control line flying locations next to every runway, it would suddenly be of interest. Without the unity a lot of this would not be possible. From the magazine you can see that it's not just about us (whoever us is).

ballgunner 04-08-2005 03:48 PM

Appparently their is some requirment by the IRS that a not for profit organization must publish something akin to a newsletter for all the membership. AMA took advantage of this real or imagined need to start publishing MA. There used to be a National Newletter that went out to all club newsletter editors. Someone, somewhere in the system decided that MA would be better. WRONG!! The National Newsletter was very well done and a web page is no substitute. The excuse seems to be that not everyone is on line. Mine came via USPS which was entirely satisfactory. I'm sure the same thing could be reinstituted, done every other month or quarterly and not cost near the amount used for MA. As for district VP section, bah. We have never seen or had any communication from our VP. and he only lives an hour away. If we want to find out what's happening in the rest of his district we can read his column. Just knock off the mandatory subscription to MA even if the savings in dues is only 15 bucks.

rw Guinn 04-08-2005 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: ballgunner

Appparently their is some requirment by the IRS that a not for profit organization must publish something akin to a newsletter for all the membership. AMA took advantage of this real or imagined need to start publishing MA. There used to be a National Newletter that went out to all club newsletter editors. Someone, somewhere in the system decided that MA would be better. WRONG!! The National Newsletter was very well done and a web page is no substitute. The excuse seems to be that not everyone is on line. Mine came via USPS which was entirely satisfactory. I'm sure the same thing could be reinstituted, done every other month or quarterly and not cost near the amount used for MA. As for district VP section, bah. We have never seen or had any communication from our VP. and he only lives an hour away. If we want to find out what's happening in the rest of his district we can read his column. Just knock off the mandatory subscription to MA even if the savings in dues is only 15 bucks.
The national newsletter is still available--check the website.
and quit yer bellyakin. It ain't all about you. C/L , soaring, and indoor are the competitors. They keep up with rules. They are the ones who comprise 80% of the voters in elections.
Therefore, the AMA caters to them. any questions?

TexasAirBoss 04-08-2005 10:03 PM

I had opted out of the magazine back when they let you choose .

But compared to my Home Owners Association newsletter, it ain't that bad. I just wish the AMA staff would pay the going rate for a good scale construction article. They pay about 300 bucks less. And there aren't that many good people doing scale scratch build articles anymore. The result is month after month covering the same ground over and over with extremely simple plane designs. It doesn't serve to inspire us as modelers. Many folks here claim that the AMA is charged with promoting the hobby. The uninspiring and repetitious articles fall so short of that goal that I can only presume it is deliberate. That bothers me. Is the turn over in the hobby that high ? Must we perpetually read about modeling 101 ?

ballgunner 04-09-2005 12:35 PM

Note to Loose Cannon. Please reread what I said about the National Newsletter. Sure it's on the web. I know several modelers who do not have access to the web and I'm sure you do too. As far as the non-RC facets of the hobby I've been there and the Newsletter had articles and reports of those activities as well.
As for bellyachin' try some of that yourself when you complain about other opinions.

ballgunner 04-09-2005 12:46 PM

P.S. I've been around AMA since they first came to the Gas Model Airplane Association of Southern California trying to drum up membership to get it started. Dues $.50 for rubber flyers and $1.00 for gas power. My first dues were for $1.00. That was in 1936. I don't agree with all the programs or things that happen in AMA but I do recognize the necessity of the organization. Is a call for improvement bellachin'? Hossfly has raised some hackles by doing the same thing. Is he always wrong? Look into some of the things that are said and how they are said. Others may have differing opinions but they are not all chronic complainers? Clean out you own stables first.

vicman 04-09-2005 02:20 PM

I like the mag.[8D] I even built a model from one of the plans in an older issue.

J_R 04-09-2005 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From the 2003 financial statement, we know that the direct cost per member (calculated) of Model Aviation Magazine is about $6 per member. The indirect costs remain the same and would not affect dues. As we can see from the applications posted here, the savings to the member was $4 in the past. As was noted by another poster, the AMA News section was sent instead. IIRC, 1991 was the last year of an optional magazine. The magazine was optional for many years. The credit remained the same. The numbers in the financial statement would only justify the same credit.

I do not believe it is possible to offer an optional magazine because of IRS changes, but if it were:

How many of you would actually choose to not receive MA if you were to receive a $4 credit on your dues?

rw Guinn 04-09-2005 03:28 PM

JR:
Correct my memory if wrong, but wasn't the "optional Magazine" only offered when the AMA was publishing its newsletter in "purchased" space in commercial magazines? Seems I recall it that way...

J_R 04-09-2005 03:59 PM

rw

In spite of what BasinBum would lead you to believe, it will be few years before I can draw social security or get a senior citizens discount. My memory only goes back so far. Having said that, I think that during the last period where the magazine was optional ('82-'91 IIRC) the AMA sent the newsletter (AMA News) to those that opted out of the journal (MA). The IRS had a requirment to publish a journal and another one to send a newsletter to each open member. Those that took the journal recieved the newsletter automatically. I could be wrong or it could be that you are thinking about an earlier period.

tailskid 04-09-2005 09:15 PM

One would think "we" have beaten this 'magazine' issue to death, wouldn't we????

Jerry

J_R 04-09-2005 09:19 PM

Nah, there are only about 50 magazine threads in this forum.

If there isn't a Model Aviation thread, or an insurance thread going, I'm not sure what "we" would do.

You would think that once in a while someone would do a search before starting a thread. :(

Gremlin Castle 04-09-2005 11:39 PM

Maybe we should flog the IMAA HIGHFLIGHT magazine for a while. It certainly is an easy target.

On the other hand maybe we could cover something of substance but that would be entirely too easy.;)

ORIGINAL: tailskid

One would think "we" have beaten this 'magazine' issue to death, wouldn't we????

Jerry

rlevy 04-12-2005 09:57 AM

For a $10 reduction in annual dues, I'd gladly give up the "pleasure" of receiving Model Aviation. Unfortunately, I don't currently have that choice. Why not?

J_R 04-12-2005 10:13 AM

Since it only costs $6, and has been shown from history, a newletter would probably be sent, how would you chose if the discount were $4? This is the likely amount of a discount, if it were possible, which I do not believe it is.