RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Unsolicited dvd's (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/3032750-unsolicited-dvds.html)

batflyer 06-01-2005 02:12 PM

Unsolicited dvd's

What's with the unsolicited AMA dvd and "collector's medallion" that I got in the mail today? That has to be pretty expensive and I was annoyed that my options were to buy the dvd or send it back, although they did say since it was unsolicited it could be considered a gift. It's not the $9, but I wouldn't have bought it if it had been offered in a normal way and it's a pain to send it back. Guess I owe the AMA a thankyou for the gift, but I probably won't look at it anyway. This sort of promotion ranks right up with the AMA's flying site that few get the opportunity to use. I will give them credit, though, for their magazine. It seems to be getting better. Anyone want to buy my collector's edition AMA medallion? It'll be pretty rare someday...

vicman 06-01-2005 02:20 PM

RE: Unsolicited dvd's

Dude you got some slow mail there in Higleyille.[sm=bananahead.gif] This topic got typed to death in multiple languages a few months ago.[:o]

batflyer 06-01-2005 02:30 PM

Then why didn't they quit this crap then? I don't know whether to feel bad or not that I was the last on their mailing list. And you all got to sell your collector's medallions before the market collapsed. Darn.

Geistware 06-01-2005 02:38 PM

The result of all the previous talk was to keep it as a freebie or send it back

Gordon Mc 06-01-2005 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: batflyer

Then why didn't they quit this crap then?
They're kinda slow learners.

And you all got to sell your collector's medallions before the market collapsed. Darn.
LOL - good to see that you have a decent sense of humor.

Gordon

P-51B 06-01-2005 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

afterburner 06-03-2005 11:32 PM

I think he's just sleeping.......I'll go get the gun.:D

danhoh 06-04-2005 09:58 PM

Yah....... Just got the DVD and the great medallion today.
:eek:

PLANE JIM 06-04-2005 11:06 PM

ebay it

garskoci 06-07-2005 11:39 PM

Got mine today too! I plan on returning it and will tell them to stop with the unsolicited nonsense.

SoonerAce 06-08-2005 12:13 AM

You could always do as a friend did. He taped the business reply card to a box of rocks and sent it back to the book of the month club. the sender(book of the month club) has to pay the postage(freight) on the package........They havent sent him anything else.

thestik 06-08-2005 08:01 AM

I received that amatuerist DVD months ago, and took them at their word, that because I didn't order it, I was under no obligation to do anything. I got my 3rd dunning letter for payment yesterday. If I could figure out which part of the landfill it's buried in I would send it back to them[>:]. If you want a quality DVD go to SKS or Propwash.

scottrc 06-08-2005 12:43 PM

So, if I don't want it, I waste time and send it back so that they can send it out to another unsuspecting member??? I just gave mine to the neighbor's kid. He likes it. and just ignored the requests for payments. If any of us ever get any recoarse against us by being turned into a collection agency, then we'll see how long the AMA will last.

If AMA wasn't such a bunch of $$$$ counters, they'd send this video, free of charge PERIOD, to clubs so that we can just give them out. Or send it to us but without all the stinking marketing fluff that makes me feel like I'm watching some late night infomercial.

No I don't want an AMA credit card or AMA term life insurance.

Nor an AMA pair of socks either.

Nor an AMA tie.

Are we members of an organization to promote the hobby of model aviation, or are we just a bunch of "potential consumers" in a market segment that direct marketers are allowed to feast upon by our leadership.

I wonder.

Scott

Hossfly 06-08-2005 07:36 PM

Deleted. Moved. Too much for here.

afterburner 06-08-2005 07:58 PM

I'm just taking a guess here but I'm thinking that since all of the coverage of the RC events was SKS video(I know because I have most of them)other than the AMA guy narrating in between and giving some basic RC tips and that the return address on the box is York ,PA that SKS is probably making most if not all of the profit from this DVD. I'm not coming down on SKS. They have great videos at fair prices IMHO. It just looks to me that some kind of deal was made between SKS and AMA and with good intentions. Maybe it just wasn't implemented the best way.

Marty

antslake 06-08-2005 09:22 PM

I don't have time to wipe my ass, and they want me to wrap up something I haven't ordered, and send it back?
I have mail phobia,
I hate sending out mail, and getting it. I pay all my bills on-line, and order most of what I need on-line, but I do support my local hobby shops.
I own a plumbing business, and charge $80 hour for labor. I will pack it up and send it back with a bill for my time.
What a freakin joke. I did not join the AMA to be solicited like this. If I want a video, I will order one.
I have over 16 hours of video just from browsing the internet, and it was all free. Some of it is just as good or better quality than that video.
They should also name it "Frankenstien teaches to build" video.

I apologize if I offended anyone, but it just gets me worked up.

LSF2298 06-08-2005 09:35 PM

Is that $80 per hour from the flat rate manual or is that actual work time?

afterburner 06-08-2005 10:49 PM

Whew,
What are they putting in the water in Orange County? This isn't the same plumber who flies giant bipes in the onion fields, is it?

numberone 06-17-2005 01:08 PM

i also got one. i watched it then read the letter and i was like Bull$H# so 1 month later i got a call from the AMA i went to a adult website man on man webstite stuck the dvd in my burner cleared it then i burnt a gay video on there. i cant wait to see who gets it.

numberone 06-17-2005 01:09 PM

i also got one. i watched it then read the letter and i was like Bull$H# so 1 month later i got a call from the AMA i went to a adult website man on man webstite stuck the dvd in my burner cleared it then i burnt a g a y video on there. i cant wait to see who gets it.

Hircflyer 06-17-2005 03:40 PM

Gee my mail must be really slow........................got mine today. Sent back by return mail.