RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   This forum really can get me going. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/5551592-forum-really-can-get-me-going.html)

cyclops2 03-12-2007 07:01 PM

This forum really can get me going.

What is it about the AMA that triggers so much strong controversy.
Or is it that Americans are a mixed bag of people with attitudes that can not follow playtime rules ?

PLANE JIM 03-12-2007 08:16 PM

RE: This forum really can get me going.

Good question? I will wait for a two page reply with highlights and quotes in bold letters from one of the "smart people" this forum attracts so well.

vicman 03-12-2007 10:13 PM

My experience is most of the controversy comes in this forum. I have yet to experience the negative nit picking demonstrated here at any of the clubs I have been a member of. You will notice that there is a very vocal few that spoil the intent of most of the threads here also. The rest of us pick and choose when we make our statements and let the cromudgeons have their way after a while.

Hossfly 03-12-2007 10:44 PM

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

Or is it that Americans are a mixed bag of people with attitudes that can not follow playtime rules ?
Today I saw a movie called "300". While it may not have been too historically correct it displayed the eternal struggle against tyranny by those wishing to be a free people. So many never take up the cause until a Leader comes and the followers follow. Historically after the tyrants are overthrown, battles are fought among the overthrowers to determine the new rulers. That last part was not in this movie.
I was pleased to see the movie arrive at such a time as our country is in a struggle among the leadership and the wanna-be leadership that would throw this country to the wolves.
National problems relate right down to our little old AMA. Same kind of differences exist. AMA has become rather top heavy with some that think they are entitled to what has been provided for them. Most of the membership have no clue about the history or the traditions of the aeromodeling sport and could NOT care any less than they do. The leadership thrives on that lack of knowledge and care, just as our national leaders do concerning our country and the unlearned and uncaring citizens as well as the non-citizens.
Now as a people. most of us like to share our modeling therefore we band together in groups. OTOH we are artists or definitely were when we built our models and we don't really like to be told what to do. [8D] We still want to be free.

Here in this forum, those that would protect AMA as an image, cannot admit or discuss existing faults. They protect at any and all costs. Those that have almost no understanding of the AMA or what it should be doing attempt to elevate themselves by smarting off and displaying their lack of that understanding. They just dig a hole and get buried in it.

For those that have long experience, can recognize faults, predict possible other shortcomings, and wish to make corrections, they are really difficult to be understood by those without such background knowledge. In addition it is really rather surprising to read so many posts -- as bad as this sounds -- where the poster simply cannot read and/or write simple plain English. Lack of understanding the subject, and a poster being less than proficient in expressing himself can set the stage for controversy.

This forum is either debated over rules where the answer can be located in AMA documents or in theory where most posters are interested in self far more than the overall good for the aeromodeling sport. Therein lies a big factor. The artform and its future will definitely suffer when one is more interested in one's own self than the product. Greed and selfishness are two factors that always result in controversy, and when mixed with ignorance of the subject, well there is basically no end to the confusion.

BTW Plane Jim, if you only read 2 page books, most of your discussions will be lucky to be 2 lines. ;)

littlecrankshaf 03-12-2007 11:39 PM

Actually, it is not the AMA. It is merely basic philosophical precepts. One camp desires and requires an organization to officiate and administer to them the responsible parameters for their hobby and by equal extensions others. The other camp just says Nah...

STLPilot 03-13-2007 04:27 AM

Your rant Hoss is the main reason that the op was made. Only the ol timers know what they are talking about and the noobs get no respect and their comments are not welcome. Blame it for the leadership for this forum? Try again...

exeter_acres 03-13-2007 06:48 AM

I was going to read Hoss' reply...but since there were no lines in bold.. I skipped it as it must not really be him

The Toolman 03-13-2007 07:56 AM

This particular forum reminds me of the---

Harley vs Honda forums
Ham Radio vs CB forums
1/24th vs HO slot car forums

I've been on the little end of all three. Same attitudes, just different people.

Most newbies don't have a chance in H*ll, even if they have new an better ideas.

Seems like most of the older bunch are stuck in the rut an won't change.

Our club Pres is older an about went thru the roof the other day because the younger ones wanted to raise the club dues from $10 to $25 per year. Thought we shouldn't have that much money laying in the bank... There's only 11 or 12 of us in the club.

In my 56 years on this planet, I've found that the more $ a person has, the TIGHTER they are about spending a buck. Heck, I'm broke constantly cause I spend all I got. But I've damn sure had a good time so far. I've got to do many things most people could only dream of. If it ended tomorrow I wouldn't have any regrets.

Listen up you ol farts, you can't take that $58 with ya when ya go.

Ronnie :D

Hossfly 03-13-2007 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

Most newbies don't have a chance in H*ll, even if they have new an better ideas.
Here is where we have that controversy. Life experiences are different. In my 71 years, my experience is that youngsters do very well when they have NEW ideas. It is when they present ideas that -- new to them -- are actually old and the old timers have already tried those ideas and found them unsuitable, yet the youngster refuses to accept such because his mom and dad never told him that he could ever possibly be wrong about something therefore the old f_rts must be wrong.

Seems like most of the older bunch are stuck in the rut an won't change.
Unfortunately, I have to agree that there are enough of these folks to substantiate your theory, and many are much younger than me. [:o]

Our club Pres is older an about went thru the roof the other day because the younger ones wanted to raise the club dues from $10 to $25 per year. Thought we shouldn't have that much money laying in the bank... There's only 11 or 12 of us in the club.

In my 56 years on this planet, I've found that the more $ a person has, the TIGHTER they are about spending a buck. Heck, I'm broke constantly cause I spend all I got. But I've damn sure had a good time so far. I've got to do many things most people could only dream of. If it ended tomorrow I wouldn't have any regrets.

Those philosophical lifestyles are absolutely YOUR business and none of mine. I went through a great change in lifestyle back some 26 years ago. I came out dead broke. I did not like it. I am not rich now however I like knowing I can pay the taxes on the house and workshop, buy glowfuel and gas for models, diesel for the truck to get to/from the field, and beans, jalapenos, and tortillas for the belly, with beer to wash 'em down, for a long time to come.:D

Roby 03-13-2007 11:20 AM

What triggers the controversy about AMA ?

Quite simple . (I think)

I would guess that everyone has their own opinion
on how things should be done in order to make things
better for all. ...........Of course , all may not agree and
then it starts.

Avoid the controversy. Go with the flow and just enjoy
model aviation for what it is ..........a hobby, not a way of life.

Regards,
Roby

Stickbuilder 03-13-2007 01:02 PM

You might not be able to take it with you, but you Damn sure can't stay here without it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 03-13-2007 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Your rant Hoss is the main reason that the op was made. Only the ol timers know what they are talking about and the noobs get no respect and their comments are not welcome. Blame it for the leadership for this forum? Try again...
Dion,

I promised myself, and others that I would not pick on you anymore. Most of the time you make it very, very difficult to keep that promise.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

rcmiket 03-13-2007 05:11 PM

Funny this is the only forum were this kinds of stuff goes on. The other forums attract the kind off guy who's just looking for some good info or share some. Isn't that what this is supposed to be about? I find myself here less and less due to the lack of content and the overwhelming amount of BS.

Live Wire 03-13-2007 09:05 PM

Common sense take you out of the relum of madnes:eek::D Did I do that.

PLANE JIM 03-13-2007 10:39 PM

Horrace-DOES THE TRUTH HURT??????????????HEHEHEHEHEHE :)

Mode One 03-15-2007 06:37 AM

56 is nothing! I'm danged near 57! I hated it when my Dad talked about how things were better back when! However now I agree; How it was, was better than it is and what it was, was younger! To bad, it's wisdom or youth and never the 'twain shall meet! So young'un, be happy in your youth, as all us older guys have, is wisdom and with some of us, this ain't guaranteed!

The Toolman 03-15-2007 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Mode One

56 is nothing! I'm danged near 57! I hated it when my Dad talked about how things were better back when! However now I agree; How it was, was better than it is and what it was, was younger! To bad, it's wisdom or youth and never the 'twain shall meet! So young'un, be happy in your youth, as all us older guys have, is wisdom and with some of us, this ain't guaranteed!

I still might hav ya beat, I've only got 3 months to go till 57. So I guess that makes me danged near 57 too.:D:D

Ronnie :)

Mode One 03-15-2007 05:51 PM

Less then a month!

Stickbuilder 03-15-2007 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Mode One

I still might hav ya beat, I've only got 3 months to go till 57. So I guess that makes me danged near 57 too.:D:D

Ronnie :)

I was 57 a Long, Long, Long time ago. [:@]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

The Toolman 03-15-2007 09:31 PM

"I was 57 a Long, Long, Long time ago. "

In a Galaxy far, far, far away [8D]

Ronnie:)

P-51B 03-16-2007 12:03 PM

Could be because people write french based statements like the one below, and others feel the need to take exception.;)

Desertlakesflying 04-23-2007 06:08 PM

King George had playtime rules too. We wanted our own rules and freedoms. As you can see.....King George was wrong.

anonymouse 04-25-2007 04:33 PM

One reson I don't get into this fourum to much is cause of the fil...philosfe, philos... deep stuff that some of you guys writ. Why not just relax and enjoy life? Remember though...no beers before or while flying.......Cyclops...where'd ya go...Start the fire then sit back and watch????

cyclops2 04-25-2007 08:12 PM

Anybody need more firewood ?

:)