RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   proximity to local flying club's field (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/5630872-proximity-local-flying-clubs-field.html)

coder1024 03-28-2007 04:32 PM

proximity to local flying club's field

For the past several years, I've been trying to join a local flying club. They've been worried about taking new members due to concerns with the township and so have a membership cap. They indicated that they'd have no issue taking me as a member except for this. So I'm at the top of the list if they do get to a point where they can take new members. i.e. I've done everything I can to try and properly join and fly with the club, but I don't expect I'll be able to join any time soon.

My parents live near the club's field and have a field behind their house which they have permission to use for flying R/C airplanes. This has worked well so far.

I noticed the AMA policy which says that if you're flying within 3 miles of an established club's site you need to work out a frequency sharing plan with the club.

So, to be on the safe side I used my hand-held GPS and found that the "as the crow flies" distance was only 1.25 miles.

I was planning on contacting the club and discussing this with them, but was wondering if anyone here had any advice as well.

So far, we've been flying 27MHz "cheapo" planes and I don't even think anyone in the club uses that frequency. My dad was considering getting a plane, but was looking at spread spectrum which I don't think poses any interference problems. Given that we're only using 27MHz and/or spread spectrum I'm thinking there won't be a huge issue.

If I do want to get a 72MHz radio, what can I expect the actual range of interference to be? i.e. is 1.25 miles "safe" wrt interference?

Thanks!

Mode One 03-28-2007 05:53 PM

RE: proximity to local flying club's field

No, the AMAsuggests 3 miles as this is a good buffer, between. It sounds like spread spectrum is the way to go for this situation. Ceratainly 1.25 miles is way to close. However, you might be right about the 27 Mhz stuff being o.k.

bkdavy 03-28-2007 06:54 PM

I'd say you're good with the Spread Spectrum. The 27mhz stuff is low power, so it probably won't cause a problem at that distance. If you go with 72mhz, you really need to contact the club and work out a sharing plan. You're best bet would be to commit all your planes to a single channel, and get the club to agree to give up that channel. One channel out of 50 shouldn't be hard to swallow. But realize you're probably asking one or more club members to take on the expense of changing their transmitter frequency. Expect some resistance. Be diplomatic, and maybe offer to help share some of the expense. Also invest in one of the Hobbico channel scanners. Replace the antenna with a 42 inch piece of wire on a stereo plug, and you'll be able to tell if anyone at the nearby field is on your channel. The stock antenna isn't enough to pick up at that distance.

Good Luck.
Brad

abel_pranger 03-28-2007 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: coder1024

<SNIP>
So far, we've been flying 27MHz "cheapo" planes and I don't even think anyone in the club uses that frequency. My dad was considering getting a plane, but was looking at spread spectrum which I don't think poses any interference problems. Given that we're only using 27MHz and/or spread spectrum I'm thinking there won't be a huge issue.
You are right in your thinking, and considerate and responsible for giving it the thought. Go with spread spectrum and don't worry about it.

If I do want to get a 72MHz radio, what can I expect the actual range of interference to be? i.e. is 1.25 miles "safe" wrt interference?

Doesn't matter, 'cause if you are within 3 miles of of the club site you'll get blamed for every suspected glitch that occurs there. If you must get a 72 Mhz radio, coordinate a frequency sharing agreement with the club as previously advised.

Abel

Hossfly 03-28-2007 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: coder1024

For the past several years, I've been trying to join a local flying club. They've been worried about taking new members due to concerns with the township and so have a membership cap. They indicated that they'd have no issue taking me as a member except for this. So I'm at the top of the list if they do get to a point where they can take new members. i.e. I've done everything I can to try and properly join and fly with the club, but I don't expect I'll be able to join any time soon.
My parents live near the club's field and have a field behind their house which they have permission to use for flying R/C airplanes. This has worked well so far.
I noticed the AMA policy which says that if you're flying within 3 miles of an established club's site you need to work out a frequency sharing plan with the club.

So, to be on the safe side I used my hand-held GPS and found that the "as the crow flies" distance was only 1.25 miles.
I was planning on contacting the club and discussing this with them, but was wondering if anyone here had any advice as well.

Thanks!

If you're only a mile and a quarter away, you can see each other and you can hurt each other. Now comes the question: ARE you an AMA member? If so you should adhere to AMA's Safety Code policy. If you are not an AMA member then simply advise the club which frequencies you will be using and they have the problem to contend with. ( I will not knowingly operate my model aircraft within three (3) miles of any preexisting flying site without a frequency-management agreement. A frequency-management agreement may be an allocation of frequencies for each site, a day-use agreement between sites, or testing which determines that no interference exists. A frequency-management agreement may exist between two or more AMA chartered clubs, AMA clubs and individual AMA members, or individual AMA members. Frequency management agreements, including an interference test report if the agreement indicates no interference exists, will be signed by all parties and copies provided to AMA Headquarters.)
Of course that means war so you may have airplanes falling out of the sky rather rapidly. Who can sustain the most loses? [X(]

For 72 MHz the synthesized units may well be a way to go. JR's receivers are only $50 for the 7 channel Rcvrs. Not bad. Those will fly most sport and competition models. Then with cell phones you can even be more versatile than what a freq. sharing plan allows for. Never hurts to some afternoon to take a small grill and a couple dozen hot-dogs and trimmings over for the guys and talk things over. Sometimes things just work out like that. ;)

JUGFLIER 03-28-2007 11:01 PM

"Never hurts to some afternoon to take a small grill and a couple dozen hot-dogs and trimmings over for the guys and talk things over. Sometimes things just work out like that."

Classy advice Horace, I was goint to suggest he blackmail his way into the club. LOL.

Curtis

jetmech05 03-29-2007 05:49 AM

I've heard of membership caps....Ive heard of waiting lists....but the reason you give for the cap sounds kinda funny to me.... perhaps you and your Dad need to talk to the clubs officers..
Is there another club you can join?

ptulmer 03-29-2007 08:08 AM

Coder, you're trying to be responsible and I admire that. But, let's talk about radios for a minute.

DSS: No glitches, no interference, no worry about proximity to a club or other fliers.
72mhz: Glitches, interference and worry about proximity to a club or other fliers.

:D

ps, Abel is right. If you go 72mhz, you will be blamed for quite a few "dumb thumbs" and may find it tougher to get in the club. If you really want to join a club, you might consider finding some like-minded people and inviting them to fly with you. DSS makes this simple.

gzkpez 03-29-2007 05:20 PM

You would cause a problem on 72mhz for you and them. Spread Spectrum is the new way of transmitting (for us) and would be much better for you, just make sure it is "full range". There are new Spread Spectrum stuff being released it seems every week or so now. The units are the same qulatiy as 72mhz in their price range and in some ways better, so in my opinion there is not a reason to not buy the new spread spectrum stuff. Their are alot of things that use the SS method and frequency of transmitting but they are made not to interfare.

Flying by yourself and with your dad is very nice, but flying in a club is better. I hope you get in the club real soon, so always be nice. You will find that you keep running in to the same people even if you live in a big city.

g