RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Would you still be a member of AMA if it was not a requirement of your club? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/6509062-would-you-still-member-ama-if-not-requirement-your-club.html)

Lomcevak Duck 10-18-2007 07:05 PM

Would you still be a member of AMA if it was not a requirement of your club?

Just curious, nothing special. ;)

exeter_acres 10-18-2007 07:07 PM

RE: Would you still be a member of AMA if it was not a requirement of your club?

Yep...in a second

redfox435cat 10-18-2007 07:35 PM

RE: Would you still be a member of AMA if it was not a requirement of your club?

nope it's just a black hole from our location

Hossfly 10-18-2007 08:10 PM

I always was, am now, and will continue to be, regardless of Club rules, unless if the EC throws me out. :eek:

mongo 10-18-2007 08:48 PM

be as i have not been a member of any club for the last 8-12 years, and have retained ama for that time, i guess yes would be my poll answer.

jmv 10-18-2007 10:11 PM

I was a member before I joined a club when I only flew park flyers, so the answer for me is yes. Well worth the $58 in my opinion, club rules or not.

KidEpoxy 10-18-2007 11:57 PM

Required.
But I had a ton of fun StreetFlying in SanJose with a swell group of guys prior to going the club route. A good deal of those streetflyers were AMA & clubbers too, but frequented the streetfly scene.

P-51B 10-19-2007 08:05 AM

Of course I would.

Red Scholefield 10-19-2007 10:37 AM

No question about it, member since 1957.[sm=thumbup.gif]

Jim Messer 10-19-2007 04:01 PM

Of course I would. The AMA is my friend - not my enemy!

Kanain 10-20-2007 08:44 AM

Yes - I support and respect the original goals of the organization. Hell, half the time I am a walking AMA billboard with all of the jackets, polos, hats, mugs, my money clip, etc.

However, I also reserve the right (even as a lifetime member) to extricate myself should I find the organization no longer in line with my hobby or my strong belief in education.

AERORICH73 10-20-2007 02:57 PM

I am a member of the AMA because it keeps me connected to the hobby scene in a general way good and bad. Have absolutely not one human cell of interest in any electric propeller powered anything. As a retired aircraft mechanic, not one commerical plane ever came into the terminal to off load passengers. This electric revolution is only a marketing ploy to keep the hobby going since there is a noise factor with the fuel burning engines which has an influence on keeping flying fields. While the electrics are quiet, they are still as lethal as the fuel powered planes, but are flown in uncontrolled sites by some who are not following flight safety rules. It is only a matter of time before a serious injure occurs that puts the whole sport into jeopardy of being shut down.

Rich S.

bigedmustafa 10-22-2007 05:52 PM

I was an AMA member before my club was chartered and AMA membership wasn't a requirement. I've wasted a lot of money since I started in on this hobby of ours, but I've never regreted for a second any of my AMA membership dues.

Now if I can just get myself to quit buying other people's junk at our club auction every year...

kid chuckles 10-22-2007 06:28 PM

If not a club requirement what other advantages does it have? The insurance is sublemental and if you have home owners what advantage does the AMA offer. There mag i would miss i suppose. Someone enlighten me if you would I might be missing the boat. But don't rag on me.

sfsjkid 10-22-2007 06:33 PM

Yes

Stickbuilder 10-22-2007 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

If not a club requirement what other advantages does it have? The insurance is sublemental and if you have home owners what advantage does the AMA offer. There mag i would miss i suppose. Someone enlighten me if you would I might be missing the boat. But don't rag on me.
If you would take the little time that is required to read what is in both threads, you might gain a little insight as to what the AMA does for you. Now the more important question is; what do you do for the rest of the people in the hobby? We are the AMA. Do you teach a newbie how to fly? We are the AMA. Do you teach a child how to build a model airplane? We are the AMA. Do you promote (in a positive manner) this hobby whenever you are out flying? We are the AMA. Get the big picture? All the AMA owe's you is a membership card, a cheap decal, Liability insurance, and a pretty good magazine every month. Oh, just so I don't forget, they do manage to accomplish a little lobbying in Washington. Have you noticed that you are not required to hold a model airplane pilots license, issued by the F.A.A.? Have you noticed that you have radio frequencies to use to be able to fly your model airplane? Have you noticed that the various Municipalaties are open to the idea of you being able to have a place from which to fly? That, my Brother, is the AMA, and We are the AMA.

Bill, AMA 4720

archerry 10-31-2007 01:51 PM

Sheez, I haven't posted here in a long time.....

I would have to say, YES.... I know a lot of people whine about the MA magazine. I learned about and joined AMA because someone gave me a MA magazine when I was getting back into the hobby/sport. I found out where the clubs where in my area and read about several events that I wanted to see in the contest calendar. And having the extra insurance (eventhough it's only secondary to most of us) is good too. I know that I've rubbed some people at AMA and here on RCU (JR it's no fun without you) in the past, but these are only people.... The idea of an AMA (or AMA like) organization is a very good one, in my thoughts. I am a member of several clubs in the area and enjoy the hobby/sport. I would also have not problem joining other organizations too, provided it served a valid function to me.

NorfolkSouthern 10-31-2007 11:19 PM

I never thought about the AMA before I got into this hobby. However, I do have a nice, small collection of OS engines. And, I have every intention of hearing them run, and then watching them go through their paces on what ever "barge" I have 'em pull. The AMA allows me to continue the use of affordable radio equipment for the time being, just by their lobbying efforts in regards to the FCC, until I can afford some of the latest gadgets and gizmos. I am sure they'll eventually have to fight to retain the availability of 2.4ghs one day. I am not restricted to small electrics, which have never gained my interest and probably never will.

Had it not been for the AMA, I am sure we would have to take what ever the FAA dishes out and be happy with it. I'll be honest, I'm not a vegetarian and I like some meat in my diet. A 400 park foamie can get a little boring after a while, the sound and sight of my new 55 AX at work is going to be considerably more palatable, yummie! This is not any different to me, than the NRA members fighting for their right to own a nice Winchester 30-30 lever action for deer hunting. A BB gun just ain't gonna do the trick if you're planning to fill up the freezer this Winter!

NorfolkSouthern

Hossfly 11-01-2007 12:10 AM

This is not any different to me, than the NRA members fighting for their right to own a nice Winchester 30-30 lever action for deer hunting. A BB gun just ain't gonna do the trick if you're planning to fill up the freezer this Winter
Sorry for going off topic here, however I request that you not insult NRA members by suggesting they would use a weasly .30-.30 to wound a deer. [:o]
Real Hunters prefer to drop their game with instant Kill. Browning semi-auto 7MM Remington Magnum has kept my score to 100% of one shot -- one kill. I abhor anything that means the animal might suffer. Such does not apply to 2 legged criminals. [>:]

KidEpoxy 11-01-2007 02:19 AM

Hoss,
that is well and good...
but you dont need the BigLumber for every shot when a 3iron will do the trick.
Any decent hunter gauges the game, and chooses an apropriate tool for the task at hand.
And sometimes the task is Louisiana DogDeer by Ft Polk that a win94 in 30-30 or marlin in 35rem (my choice) will be more than enough club for the hole. And sometimes you need the 7mil for the mulies in other states.
Know the task before selecting the tool.

Although I gotta admit, 'too much' will always be enough

NorfolkSouthern 11-01-2007 02:22 AM

I bet the Browning's more fun at the range too! If only I had deeper pockets...

NorfolkSouthern

Mode One 11-01-2007 06:03 AM

I'm in favor of shooting and gutting at the same time, also! Wasn't this thread about being a member of the AMA and model airplanes, though!

NorfolkSouthern 11-01-2007 05:45 PM

I can be fairly certain that the NRA and AMA will likely be under the same umbrella, should Chuck Schumer get his way, Mode_One. Although we're not quite there yet, there may come a day when we'll all have to dig in and fight to keep our hobby.

NorfolkSouthern

TakingFlight96 11-13-2007 07:41 PM

I honestly most likely would not be a member of AMA unless it was a requirement of club.

-- TakingFlight96

Stubborn Mule 11-17-2007 01:17 AM

Not a member now (though I have been for roughly 20 years or so), don't plan to be and don't see the need for it. In short, what has the AMA done for ME? Zip, zero, nadda!

And don't give me that frequency crap. I've been flying, boating and what have you for years on whatever band, freq I want! I have yet to see the radio Nazis come out and do anything. Fact is, the FCC has barely one investigator for each State! Fat chance they'll look at a transmission that is totally within spec but simply being used for something other than FCC intended purpose. i.e. air freq in a boat, etc. Power is OK, FCC mask is good! Why would this oterwise busy government feather merchant want to bother with someone who can't tell the difference between a boat and an airplane? Amd for those thinking of it, the safety issue is the AMA's problem! Not the FCC!

The Mule