RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Who has a lifetime AMA membership? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/6604883-who-has-lifetime-ama-membership.html)

Tommygun 11-10-2007 11:09 AM

Who has a lifetime AMA membership?

I was thinking about opting for the lifetime membership the next time I need to re-up mine. Are a lot you you lifetime members? I think it actually might be more cost effective...

Red Scholefield 11-10-2007 12:08 PM

RE: Who has a lifetime AMA membership?

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

I was thinking about opting for the lifetime membership the next time I need to re-up mine. Are a lot you you lifetime members? I think it actually might be more cost effective...
Strictly from the economic standpoint if you can invest the $1500 at a better rate than 3.87% that would get you the $58 dollars/year, so it would not be that good a deal. Then also it depends somewhat on your age and what value you put on being a life member - consider future dues increases. It might also be considered a deductible donation, not sure on this one.

STLPilot 11-10-2007 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Strictly from the economic standpoint if you can invest the $1500 at a better rate than 3.87% that would get you the $58 dollars/year, so it would not be that good a deal. Then also it depends somewhat on your age and what value you put on being a life member - consider future dues increases. It might also be considered a deductible donation, not sure on this one.
Actually you'll need more like 7%+ if you also want to beat the last 20 year inflation rate of about 3% per annum. Oh and don't forget about the 15% capital gains on the annual interest of the investment. Looks like we'll have to wait at least another 10 years till the feds boost interest rates to a 7%-8% gov't security if you actually want to have that investment secured. But you're right, you have to consider the dues increase, but also consider they will increase the lifetime membership proportionally in time as well.

With the current market situation it's prolly not the best time to make the investment unless you have the extra cash. I'm wondering if the AMA banks the lifetime membership money into it's own seperate interest bearing account. I'm sure Hoss could let us know about that one?? Don't mean to get technical Red, just having fun.

Scar 11-10-2007 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Actually you'll need more like 7%+ if you also want to beat the last 20 year inflation rate of about 3% per annum. Oh and don't forget about the 15% capital gains on the annual interest of the investment if you want to lock in that net present value right now. Looks like we'll have to wait at least another 10 years till the feds boost interest rates to a 7%-8% gov't security if you actually want to have that investment secured. But you're right, you have to consider the dues increase, but also consider they will increase the lifetime membership proportionally in time as well.

With the current market situation it's prolly not the best time to make the investment unless you have the extra cash. I'm wondering if the AMA banks the lifetime membership money into it's own seperate interest bearing account. I'm sure Hoss could let us know about that one?? Don't mean to get technical Red, just having fun.
Tommygun,

Interesting thought, I don't remember reading a meaningful discussion about the lifetime membership.

Red,

Yours is a thoughtful response which contributes to the thread. I think after reading your response and Tommygun's original post, I'm going to have to consider the same things. Thank you for making a worthwhile response to the original question.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson

glowplugboy 11-10-2007 10:32 PM

I needed a tax write off last year, so I did it, after paying yearly for 29 years....

GPB

Hossfly 11-11-2007 01:29 PM

I did it some 3-4 years ago, however "...cost effective..." was NOT a consideration. Being active in the AMA political situation, I just thought that anyone in the politial arena should demonstrate their dedication by being an AMA life member. With such thoughts in my mind, then it would be rather two-faced if I did not do so myself. I did so.

After all, I am a Life member of National Rifle Association, Texas State Rifle Association, and my main club, Jetero Radio Control Club, Inc. Might as well also do the other main-one so, rather than AMA 539, I am now AMA L 93. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

50%plane 11-16-2007 06:14 PM

I had been thinking about going life, but I decided that since the AMA's vision for RC was far from my own, and since I really don't care if they go off the face of the earth anymore, I did not go life.

JFYI

Stubborn Mule 11-17-2007 01:34 AM

Even at 55, chances of me outliving the dues for Life Memebership are slim to...............! And at present, I don't see anything of significance in the plus column of membership!

The Mule

STLPilot 11-17-2007 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
I did it some 3-4 years ago, however "...cost effective..." was NOT a consideration. Being active in the AMA political situation, I just thought that anyone in the politial arena should demonstrate their dedication by being an AMA life member. With such thoughts in my mind, then it would be rather two-faced if I did not do so myself. I did so.

ORIGINAL : Hossfly
Politician: "....a person primarily interested in political office for selfish or other narrow usually short-sighted reasons."
Sorry, I am NOT qualified for the position of "Politician."
Hey I just noticed something. Huh ... what?