Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions > AMA Presidential Election 2016 (Write-in Candidate) - Frank Tiano
Reload this Page >

Questions for Presidential Write-In Candidate Frank Tiano

Notices
AMA Presidential Election 2016 (Write-in Candidate) - Frank Tiano This for is for you to discuss the AMA directly with Frank Tiano, an AMA Presidential Write-in Candidate. All other AMA related posts must be posted in the main forum. Foolishness, trolling and flaming will not be allowed. Keep it civil please

Questions for Presidential Write-In Candidate Frank Tiano

Old 08-23-2016, 07:17 AM
FTiano
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's how it works. The magazine is a "Benefit" of AMA membership. If you don't want it, that is fine, but the dues are the same, whether or not you take the magazine. Hopefully most members will find the magazine useful for getting the latest news, contest / event dates, event coverage and interesting articles. I fully realize that some don't want, or care about, some of the content, but when an organization has so many members, I'm guessing the "right" thing to do is to have a little content that appeals to all interests. Personally, I don't have a problem with that, but I understand some feelings; I rarely find more than a few pages that interest me, but then there are some issues that are very imformative!
Old 08-23-2016, 11:33 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understood.

Would you support a poll to see how many members would select one of the following options?

- Some membership dues savings, but no print or online MA option
- Less membership dues savings but online MA only
- Opt out if you wish, but saves you nothing in dues

With a delay of eight weeks or more in content, it might make sense to rethink it in terms of cost vs. perceived benefits.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 AM
FTiano

At this time, I am not interested in a Poll to find that out. The AMA is still a huge "Business". The President has nothing to do with the daily operations, only may suggest things. Regardless of what the poll showed, I could not be instrumental in changing anything. When you think of the $$ the average person spends on his hobby, the introduction of a few bucks over a magazine subscription seems trite.Certainly the time required to add up the votes etc. would be a consideration as well. However, if you wish to do a poll, and be the pollster, I don't think anyone would stand in your way. It might be interesting to see what sort of response you get. My guess is that the number might be far less than you expected, but, have at it!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:11 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the most recent EC meeting, the CFO indicated the strong possibility of another recession in the near future. He noted that as a discretionary expense, dues will be impacted.

If there is a recession, and dues are impacted as the CFO contends will happen, how would you like to see the EC hand the associated loss in revenue? Savings? Dues increase? Neither? Both? If savings, where would you look to trim spending?
Old 08-23-2016, 12:55 PM
FTiano

It would NOT be prudent for me to answer that. However, I will say this. There are more than two ways that the AMA can gain revenue without "hurting" any members financially. It's hard to believe that someone has not thought of them. Regardless, it is not for me to act like some sort of "Know it all". All I will say is this: trust me, there are ways.
I am outta here for the day. Sorry, but no more responses.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:48 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello Mr. Tiano ,

I don't have any questions for you and have no agenda with this post other than to thank you for taking your time to make yourself available here . I would like to have seen all the candidates make themselves available but only you did , that in my opinion shows the kind of bravery a true leader must possess . Sure , in a venue such as this tough questions may be asked , and folks may be judged on their responses to those tough questions , and so far you are the only one with enough Moxie to show up here and face whatever questions the forum chose to ask . I'm gonna be honest here , I'm really REALLY torn between your bravery VS Rich Hanson's experience with day to day FAA business and I consider myself fortunate to have a pool of such great candidates to choose from . This is quite the contrast to our Country's Presidential election , Here with the AMA I have two people I'd like to see get the job and will end up voting for who I think will do the better job , VS having to pick "the lest of two evils" as it stands between Clinton and Trump .

Anyway , It's said that 3/4 of doing a good job is simply the act of showing up , and Thank You Frank for being the one who did show up .
Old 08-31-2016, 04:01 PM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

Mr Tiano, I read your bio - very impressive. You did not mention that in 08 you became President of the Jet Pilot's Organization (JPO). After only a few months you resigned. Can you tell us what happened there?
Old 09-01-2016, 03:22 AM
FTiano

Yes, I believe I only ran as president until the membership found someone permanent. Or, maybe I resigned because I discovered that JPO was doing fine without me. Or perhaps it was something else. I do know that if I resigned, there must have been some terrific reason.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Heath Roc
Banned

Dear Mr. Tiano, Thank you for stepping up to the plate, grabbing the bull by the horns and building the great wall we so desperately need and making the AMA great again. As soon as I heard you were running for AMA president I've started campagning for you in my area.

One question I've been asked on the campaign trail was if you were elected AMA president would you require AMA members to do inspections for over 55 pounds model aircraft for pilots who are not AMA members?

Heath
Old 09-08-2016, 03:36 AM
FTiano

Hi Heath,
The AMA president does not make the "rules" or policies effecting any program. so, the large aircraft program is not able to be changed by the President. However, the Pres can make suggestions to the Safety Committee and the VPs to make changes. I am not certain that ALL AMA members have the expertise to effectively "inspect" other member's airplanes so the Inspector program in place currently is probably the best solution for now. I do believe the program should be streamlined, a LOT!!
One thing to remember, the AMA president does NOT run the AMA! He is there to head and offer suggestions to the Executive Council on things that are or might be effecting AMA members, good or bad.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Heath Roc
Banned

Originally Posted by FTiano
Hi Heath,
The AMA president does not make the "rules" or policies effecting any program. so, the large aircraft program is not able to be changed by the President. However, the Pres can make suggestions to the Safety Committee and the VPs to make changes. I am not certain that ALL AMA members have the expertise to effectively "inspect" other member's airplanes so the Inspector program in place currently is probably the best solution for now. I do believe the program should be streamlined, a LOT!!
One thing to remember, the AMA president does NOT run the AMA! He is there to head and offer suggestions to the Executive Council on things that are or might be effecting AMA members, good or bad.
Dear Mr. Tiano, Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to respond to my question and explain how the internal AMA processes works. I was not aware the president doesn't make the rules or policies effecting any program, but it makes sense now that you explained that this is handled by the safety committee and VPs with suggestions from the president.

If elected president of the AMA, would you suggest to the safety committee and the VPs that the AMA perform Large Model Aircraft (LMA) inspections for non-AMA members or would you suggest that we AMA members do not perform LMA inspections for non-AMA members?
Old 09-09-2016, 04:02 AM
FTiano

I do not condone non-AMA members flying at club sites. So I see no reason to "inspect" a person's, who will not have insurance, airplane which will not be allowed to fly at the club field or any sanctioned AMA event. I'd rather see the AMA member explain, to the person with the large aircraft who is not a member, the wisdom in joining the AMA. Other than that, I still think having an informed inspector is the best policy for large aircraft waivers.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Frank ,

Ok , I'm now ready to ask a question :

"If the FAA demands that the AMA goes back to the original #550 FPV rules , which had the pilot in command having direct LOS contact with the model and the goggle wearing pilot being the trainer side of a buddy box setup (instead of the goggle wearing pilot being pilot in command and having a LOS spotter as #550 now allows) How hard are you willing to fight the FAA on such a mandate ?"

I ask that question because it's my belief that the FAA does want the PIC of any #336 model aircraft to have direct "eyes on the prize" and the present #550 runs directly in opposition of that . I further believe that in the FAA's view our present #550 where the PIC is BLOS the minute the goggles go on is plenty BLOS enough to require operation under part 107 instead of under the #336 model aircraft exemption .
Old 09-11-2016, 12:54 PM
AlW

Mr Tiano, Your response to my question of why you resigned as Presidant of the Jet Pilot's Organization (JPO) was interesting. You seem to have a short memory but maybe I can help you. At the Florida Jets banquet in 08 during the auction which you were conducting you said to the wife of one of the pilots over the microphone ''You can have this item for $50 and a b**w job'' The JPO Board convened a meeting and asked for your resignation stating that this kind of thing was not appropriate for the President of a national organization. You declined but resigned shortly after. And now you expect us to allow you become President of AMA!
Old 09-12-2016, 03:12 AM
FTiano

You know, during what we call a "Roast", I may very well have said that. And I am quite certain that every single person in the room at the time knew exactly what context to take it in.They all knew it was in jest. I know my wife certainly knew, the person's husband knew and the rest of the room knew. I also accused my best friend of stealing hubcaps the night before. I can see that you are just hell bent on trying to embarrass me, but you are forgetting something! I know exactly WHO you are and if you continue, I will post something about you and why you were arrested in 2004. So, do you really want to keep up this bullcrap? Not everyone likes me, I get that. But there are some who don't like me who believe I will do a good job for the membership. And I'm pretty sure there are those who DO like me but think someone else will do a better job than me. And that's just fine. But You, keep up your crap, and you'll be one sorry dude! Yup, that's me, abrasive Frank. And now everyone can see what it takes for me to display that part of my personality. One last question for you; Exactly how long have you been such a Loser?
Old 09-12-2016, 03:16 AM
FTiano

I tried answering this twice already and the site just froze up before I could post my answer. The bottom line is that I just don't know enough about the regulations for flying Drones. I do believe they shouldn't be called "Drones", but that's another topic. I can tell you that when I learn enough, I won't fight with the FAA but will certainly try and reason with them. From what I understand, everyday we have more knowledgeable FAA folkd contributing to the conversations, many of them present or past modelers. In this case time will tell.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Heath Roc
Banned

Dear Mr. Tiano, Thanks for taking the time to answer my previous question, here is my next question:

If elected president of the AMA, would you recommend committees and VPs that the AMA Flying Site Grant Program provide grants for flying sites that have restricted access? By restricted access, I'm referring to flying sites that are on private corporate campuses, government campuses, in private gated communities, or on military bases such that only AMA members who are employees, residents of the private gated communities, or military personnel would only ever have access to these flying sites?

Heath
Old 09-12-2016, 10:59 AM
FTiano

I don't know "everything" about that topic, but my initial reaction, my gut reaction, is to say that I might be more inclined to not recommend processing funds to a group who allows only particular people to fly. However, a "Club" could very well have its site on a private or government piece of property, and I see no reason not not give them support if they qualify.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:27 PM
AlW

Frank, I am glad that I was able to help you regain your memory loss. You say that you know me but it's obvious that you do not so let me help you. My name is Al Watson - I am a long time JPO member and was a Dist xi rep when you were President. When you resigned and Keith Sievers became President I was his VP. I am currently an AMA AVP in Dist XI so you can see my contact info in any Model Aviation. Regarding your threat to post damaging info about me you would be well advised to be careful as that will not be taken lightly. Regarding your starement that I was arrested in 2004 you will find that I have never been arrested. My only brush with the law was a couple of speeding tickets! Your last question ''Exactly how long have you been a loser'' does not deserve an answer so I will treat it with the contept it deserves
Old 09-13-2016, 02:29 AM
FTiano

Good for you Al. And your story is still bull-crap. IF that is what you remember as the truth, you need to have your knob checked. And as far a answering my statement, your words more than prove my statement. What other kind of person would fabricate such a story. Or better yet, if it were true, what kind of person brings up crap from a "Roast" from so many years ago?
Someone who has no other goals in life perhaps? Unfortunately, the word "Loser" does comes to mind. But go ahead and keep beating your drum.