Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > AMT Netherlands
Reload this Page >

AMT 180 turbine blades rubbing...question

Notices
AMT Netherlands Get support for AMT Netherlands products here.

AMT 180 turbine blades rubbing...question

Old 05-09-2012, 08:55 AM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMT 180 turbine blades rubbing...question

Hi All,

I have an AMT 180...don't know the history of the turbine. The power turbine blades are rubbing just a tiny bit at one spot on the outer case when looking through the exhaust end. They only rub at 1 location, at the same spot and it's only enough to slow down the spinning a tiny bit...the turbine will still spin on it's own when spun. Any idea how this could happen? The bearings seem fine...just wondering how the clearance could be reduced between the turbine and the case??? The rubbing is so minor that it appears it would probably disappear if I ran it once.

Any ideas?

Also does anyone know how AMT charges for overhauls? About how much to overhaul an AMT 180? Do we have to pay VAT tax?

Thx,
Brian
Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMT 180 turbine blades rubbing...question

It's my understanding that the hot side will stretch over time. If you try to run it that way... it may cause issues.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: txshan130

Hi All,

Also does anyone know how AMT charges for overhauls? About how much to overhaul an AMT 180? Do we have to pay VAT tax?

Thx,
Brian
Brian,

If it is an original AMT180, then it is not an AMT Netherlands turbine, but one manufactured and sold by AMT USA. The importance of this being that AMT Netherlands may or may not be able to assist you with the engine as the two companies were not owned and operated by the same guys and only shared the AMT name for a short time.

From similar experience with two of my own AMT Mercury's (made in the US before the advent of AMT USA), Bennie at AMT Netherlands has been very helpful, but not always comfortable with some of the work I required. The AMT 180 and the AMT Mercury HP are not the same and components are not completely compatible.

If Bennie can help you, he will. You will normally not have to pay the VAT in the Netherlands, but you may have some charges on your side when it comes back into your country.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

If it's an AMT180 then send it the USA boys. Although Bennie is a great dude and will help where he can. Bring it to austin in a couple weeks, there are a few of us who still enjoy the old iron lungs

Where are you?

Hi All,

I have an AMT 180...don't know the history of the turbine. The power turbine blades are rubbing just a tiny bit at one spot on the outer case when looking through the exhaust end. They only rub at 1 location, at the same spot and it's only enough to slow down the spinning a tiny bit...the turbine will still spin on it's own when spun. Any idea how this could happen? The bearings seem fine...just wondering how the clearance could be reduced between the turbine and the case??? The rubbing is so minor that it appears it would probably disappear if I ran it once.

Any ideas?

Thx,
Brian
Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM
txshan130

Thx for the replies everyone...had not heard great things lately about the US guys...anyone have any recent experiences with them? I think its a US version because the serial number from what I remember starts with a 99 and not the NL I have seen on the ones from Netherlands. We may be headed to AUS. If we go, I will certainly bring it with us. We're in Houston btw. My son is trying really hard to get his waiver by then but we'll have to wait and see how the wx is this
weekend...

-Brian
Old 05-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thx for the replies everyone...had not heard great things lately about the US guys...anyone have any recent experiences with them? I think its a US version because the serial number from what I remember starts with a 99 and not the NL I have seen on the ones from Netherlands.

-Brian
Brian,

Yes the USA ones have serial numbers starting with 99 .......... and yes, the word on the USA boys are not good ..... perhaps someone can let the rest of us know what they are up to.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the replies everyone...had not heard great things lately about the US guys...anyone have any recent experiences with them? I think its a US version because the serial number from what I remember starts with a 99 and not the NL I have seen on the ones from Netherlands. We may be headed to AUS. If we go, I will certainly bring it with us. We're in Houston btw. My son is trying really hard to get his waiver by then but we'll have to wait and see how the wx is this
weekend...

-Brian

Brian,

Find me when you get to Austin, I'm the C.D. of the event and loooong time AMT dude... I can tell you everything you need to know about whats going on with your engine and hook you up with the U.S.Microjet ( AMTUSA) guys to get you fixed up.. I had one of my 180's do the exact same thing..

See ya there,

Dan Massey
Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 AM
yeahbaby

and I believe I may currently own the engine that Danno is talking about.....if it makes you feel any better, I easily put 20 gallons through her last weekend in Mississippi and she exhibits similar symptoms...there's a pix on the mississippi thread that shows time on the transmitter from first startup to shut down........

keep stuffing gas/oil in her and let er rip....

I may be able to attend Austin this year on thursday and friday before returning to work. be happy to look her over also.....or to quote David Reid's T-shirt in MAB...."I'm not a gynecologist......but I'll take a peek"

cheers

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

Brian,

Find me when you get to Austin, I'm the C.D. of the event and loooong time AMT dude... I can tell you everything you need to know about whats going on with your engine and hook you up with the U.S.Microjet ( AMTUSA) guys to get you fixed up.. I had one of my 180's do the exact same thing..

See ya there,

Dan Massey
Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 PM
txshan130

Hey that's great news...glad to hear it may not be that serious. Probably couldn't get to AUS before Sat, but if we do will look u up!

Will check out the MS pics in a bit...
Old 05-10-2012, 04:28 PM
yeahbaby

sorry Lil fella, I won't be there Saturday but Danno will point you in the right direction.

incidentally, I talked to Russ Adams (general manager) at AMTUSA today. give the US boys a try, they'll gladly look over your motor if you're concerned about the rubbing. my 180 and 280 gets stuck after a flight if I cool it down too quickly with a leaf blower and the scuba air.

Anyhow, Dan Massey and a few others can lend their experience.

good luck
cheers