Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Older Air start Mercury

Im about to become the owner of an older air start Mercury. The seller a survivng relative of the gentleman who owner it. I know very little about AMT air start engines. the owner says he has no start box or data terminal for this engine . I'm wondering what should it have in the way of a start box or a data terminal or a combined start box/data terminal. I know it also needs a regulator and scuba tank or similar air supply. He has neither of these items either.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Older Air start Mercury

congrats and welcome to the iron lung club!!!!

You should have a motor, engine manual, fuel pump, ecu and a battery. that's all you get. the start box was something you could purchase from AMT years as an accessory, but isn't necessary. you can easily fabricate one out of spare festo valves or even an old Ram start box if you have one laying around.

the data terminal is a nice piece of gear to have while learning your motor, but it basically tells you rpm, egt, pump voltage and any error codes during start up or shutdown..... in addition to informing you via when the radio has connected to the ecu.

happy to help ya with this motor anytime amigo, it will run all day long......just keep giving it fuel. Additionally, you can contact Danno he may have an extra EDT in the shop. you don't need a scuba tank to start it but it's your best bet. I've used a leaf blower and a sears air compressor to help spin the motor.

air on, air off, add glow, propane, more air, the ecu waits for egt / rpm to get up to speed then turns on the fuel pump......it's aaaaallllivvvveeee it's aliiiiiiiivvvvveeee!!!! mmmuuuaaaahhhhhh mmmuuaaaaahhhh

love dem air start motors!!!

btw, chics dig scuba steve!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44772.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	1854181  
    Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben baaaby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The truth is I dont even know for sure what engine it is. He thinks its a mercury and it probably is but its not certain. Pretty sure its some sort of AMT as I can see the ecu in the airplane it says AMT on it. Im not really planning to keep it. My intent and expectation is to sell it. It is on a brand new never been flown Hotspot that I stumbled into.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are interested in an air start setup with the scuba tank, valves and EDT, we have a complete setup I would be happy to sell you.  We are done with air start turbines for the time being...we are in Houston if you ever come this way.  Also, I would highly recommend the EDT off you are not familiar with airstarts.  It lets you watch the whole start sequence and gives you the ability to monitor temps and rpm...

Brian.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if it's on a hotspot it's a mercury. although it would fit.....barely.....you could stick a peggy back there and it would have
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us52982.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	1854287  
    Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben baaaby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys I just got one of these older air starts AMT 180 also.

I was thinking I could use a 70mm edf to make a air wand to get get her running but that just sounds like a pain.

So Can I use the larger Air tanks for the paint ball guns?

Thanks Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes and no.

The large consent air bottles are small. You may not have enough volume to get a start. AND... don't try to use CO2. That will just put out the flame. (lol)

I use a blower to move air, and start my engines. I'm not sure if a 70mm EDF will work or not. But... you can try.
    Tony