Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3s Lipo on Mercury ECU/fuel pump ??

I have an old air start Mercury 180. I would prefer to use a lipo for the ECU/fuel pump. 2 cell certainly isn't enough volts and 3 cell Lipo seems like it might be too much. I don't want to burn up the ECU so I have not tried it yet. Is 3s lipo going to be ok ??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Don't do it. The old ECU is meant for a 6 cell NiCd/NiMh. Even a 2 cell LiPo will be too much voltage when fully charged.
    Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I think I disagree. I just now made two starts on the driveway at home. First one was with the 6 cell NiCad that came with the engine. Then I decided to try a 2 cell lipo. It started and seemed to run just fine. When fully charged the 6 cell NiCad is reading about exactly the same as a freshly charged two cell lipo, both are around 8.3.or 8.4 volts. If anything the NiCad is a little higher than the lipo when fully charged and hot off the charger.

Now I have a new question. My engine is reaching 100% RPM at about 50% or slightly above stick travel. I don't much care for that. Needless to say I want full power at full stick and somewhere around half of full RPM (or better still half of full thrust). Right now my throttle channel is set for 100% in both directions and there is no throttle curve or expo programmed. Imagine I need to cut down the travel in the high throttle direction by approx. one half ??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by turnnburn View Post
    I think I disagree.............
    Then why did you ask? That ECU has no provisions for LiPo. If it over disscahrges, it could cause issues to the battery. (or cause a fire)

So... will a 2s LiPo work??? Sure it will. But, it's not right, and really not safe.

As far as your new question......

The early AMT ECU's have to learn the stick, and max RPM pump voltage every time you turn it on. So... after you start it... you have to go to full stick for 6 to 10 seconds before you fly.

If your pre-start "beeps" are telling you that mid stick is full... then adjust the travel volume in the radio. But... I know that 100% ATV will work on JR, Spektrum, and Futaba.

If you have a data terminal... it will tell you the stick %.
    Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I asked because I figured a 2 cell lipo with nominal voltage of 7.4v volts was too low and I was fearfull that a 3 cell lipo was too much voltage. I decided it couldn't do any hard to try a 2ell lipo and see if it worked. I did and it seemed to work just fine. That's why I asked. I also the same question posted in the regular jet forum and they seem to think I can 2cell or 3 cell with no issues. I was of the impression that the teaching of the ecu was done before starting the engine, not after. I better go back and read more carefully the instructions, one of us doesn't know what we are talking about and your answer seems to differ from what the other fellows are saying.
    Last edited by turnnburn; 09-25-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I am using JR 10x. Tx