Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > AMT Netherlands
Reload this Page >

Lithium Ion Batteries

Notices
AMT Netherlands Get support for AMT Netherlands products here.

Lithium Ion Batteries

Old 06-16-2006, 04:36 AM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lithium Ion Batteries

Bennie, can Lithium Ion batteries such as DuraLite be used with your latest version of ECU hardware? Thanks, Richard
Old 06-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Mark Taylor
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Lithium Ion Batteries

The batteries currently being used are Lithium-Polymer, 4sp1, 14.4v. The new ECU's auto-detect the voltage.
I don't see why you could not use the Duralite ECU packs. The lower voltage may or may not be a concern.
I'll do some research and get back to you asap.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Mark Taylor

Richard....
While the Duralite packs are excellent products, the voltage is 7.4v, which is too low for the new ECU's.
If I can be of any further assistance, please call on me at anytime.

Best Regards
Old 06-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Richard:

I have one of Bennie's Peggy HPES...now with about 105 flawless starts and runs on my Kingcat.....I have tried it with (2) Duralite packs in series so that I end up with 4S2P and it started fine......as Mark notes, (1) pack 2S2P will not work......only problem is 2 Duralites in series get pretty bulky compared to the significantly smaller and lighter lipo.....

I personally don't mess with Lipos in jets and the (2) Duralite packs are too bulky for my installatioin, so I have used the standard 10 cell-600maH Nicad that Benny ships with the Pegs....I recharge after every flight and for a 10 minute KC flight I use between 275-300 maH......

Tom

Old 06-18-2006, 06:36 AM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks for the input on the battery situation. I believe DuraLite advertises a 4,000 MAH, 6 cell, 11.2 volt pack for AMT ECU's. So far my NiCad pack is working fine. Just thought about Duralite's to give more flights with out re-charge. I will talk to Emory or Mark about them and post an update if I decide to try them. I am not a big fan of Li-Po's in anything but a foamie park flyer. Thanks, Richard
Old 06-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Mark Taylor

Guys....
Please don't be too quick to judge Li-Po's. They have gotten a bad rap primarily because of mis-handling. They are an excellent tool for powering ECU's. Handled properly, there is not a better source of electrical power available on the market at this time.
Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Best Regards
Old 06-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Mark Taylor

Guys....
Please don't be too quick to judge Li-Po's. They have gotten a bad rap primarily because of mis-handling. They are an excellent tool for powering ECU's. Handled properly, there is not a better source of electrical power available on the market at this time.
Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Best Regards
Mark is right, everyone was scared of Li-po's (myself included) until a buddy of mine who is heavily into electrics explained how to handle them. I just built a Composite Bobcat for Duky and he asked me to mount a Li-po ECU pack on the tray with velcro that was easily accessable so he can take it out of the plane after each flight. After the turbine would cool down, he would disconnect the battery and remove it from the plane. Im sure this is not totally nessassary, except for piece of mind, so if you are still a bit weary this may be a good sollution. Like Mark said, the amount of power and capacity is amazing and with proper knowledge is a great power source for our ECU's.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 01-03-2007, 06:28 PM
slick121985
My Feedback: (3)

Duralite also makes an 11.1 volt pack specifically for AMT ECU's.....Used one for years, love it, hope that helps, Greg
Old 09-20-2007, 08:06 PM
NicholasT

HI,
SO, does it mean that AMT ECU can use 3 cells LIPO?
thx a lot & brg,
NICK
Old 05-31-2009, 01:18 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In the older engines / ECU's, what is the correct battery voltage for ECU ? my Mercury came with  a 7.2 ( 6 cell) ni-cad 600mah I flew alot, The Pegusus came with 9.6v 600mah nicad I flew a whole lot. Need to get new batteries, and I want ni-cads.Both are air-start.

Thanks guys,!!!!

Dan Massey

Austin,Tx. USA

Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Gonzalo Sandoval

HI.

i have a older version of mercury and i would like to change LIPO batteries what do you recomend me?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 PM
pshea2

anybody
ORIGINAL: Gonzalo Sandoval

HI.

i have a older version of mercury and i would like to change LIPO batteries what do you recomend me?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:21 PM
GIOMBO

Hi guys, I've a little question for all, I've an old air-start mercury engine, with old ECU version, she flyes for 10 years with 600mHA nicd 7,2V.................now I can use lipo batteries??? wich kind??? 2s(7,4v) or 3s(11,1V)???

thank for all
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an AMT/USA AT-280 and used a Li-ION Fromeco Sekio driver pack. It was 2600mah, 11.1v and worked great on that engine. If your engine is using 7.2v currently I wouldn't use anything more than a 2cell Li-Ion.
Keep this in mind. Air start engines don't need the high amp draw that electric start engine require. Air start and Li-ion is a great setup and you don't have to worry about burning you investment to the ground with a Li-po.
The Li-Ion is much more reliable and you don't need a special tool to tell you how much power has been used as in the case of A123 packs.

Thanks,

Jason