Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

a 123 bateries

I have a 180 mercury serial # 081091 with ecu HWVER. 97 08 01 SWVER 5. 33 that came as a complete unit.
    I have another 180 mercury serial # 801027 with ecu HWVER 97 08 01 SWVER 5.31 and 2 engine data terminals with 8.4 volt 110 mah batteries.
    My question is can I replace the 8.4 volt battery in the edt with 9 volt battery and can I use 3 cell A 123 battery for my ecu. What if any changes must I do to persue this endeavor?
    I am a newbe to turbine engines and would greatly appreciate any and all information on my road to a first flight. glenr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: a 123 bateries

Yes you may do it. But watch for the magic blue smoke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: a 123 bateries

A123's come off the charger at 3.6volts per cell so you will have 10.8 volts off the charger, a two cell LiPo comes off the charger at 8.4 volts, so you are taking a chance, the A123's will settle down to a voltage of 9.9 vlots after about half an hour, but that is still over a two cell LiPo, why not contact the manufacturer and ask what the maximum voltage the ECU can take, On the JetCat ECU they operate on a two cell LiPo, but if you wish to use a three cell A123 it needs mods, some have used them without the mods with success, but others have had them smoked.

Sorry I can't be more positive, but would hate to see your ECU burn up eventually.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.