Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Escapade.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

HELP!!! Escapade.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 PM
m1morrow
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Escapade.

Just Finished up my Great Planes Escapade ARF. It came out way tail heavy.

The plane is stock with a OS LA46 engine and 5 Spektrum digital servos and a Spektrum 7 channel reciever.
I moved the battery to the small cubby hole unter the fuel tak and behid the firewall. I then added 1.5g of weight to the firewall......the cg is still at 3.25 inches..............great planes wants it at 2.5 inches.

The plane is a gift so I dont want to have to hack and cut anything..............I am considering a spinner weight...............but I'm not sue if it will be enough to move the cg more forward.

Any Suggestions?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:25 AM
shaggy48

Default RE: HELP!!! Escapade.

A spinner weight may work just fine.   Although that 46LA doesn't need anything slowing it down, you may be ok going that route.  But I've never used a spinner weight.  This is what worked for me: You might consider going with a little heavier receiver battery.  You could use a 6Volt 2700 nmh.  (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JRPB5008).  This battery will fit on top of the fuel tank and will be a snug fit when strapped to the tank and have just enough room for the canopy to install and remove easily.  You'll also get the added advantage of 6 volts for your servos (higher torque  with a little faster movements).  And of course you'll get the added nose weight you need.  Don't know if this will be enough in your case because the LA is so light.  This is what worked for me. But I"m using a saito 56 up front and with the 6V battery the balance came out perfect.  In fact I'm now considering shifting the CG a little to the rear to make practicing knife edges easier. 

More food for thought.  Those cheeks on the sides of the engine  used to vibrate an awful lot on mine and I've since installed a brace just under the front which solved the problem.  Just a nice strong piece of plywood glued across the front of the cheeks.  Hardly see it unless you turn the plane over.  Just make sure it would never interfere with removing the engine.  That could also serve double duty for some weight if necessary.  Another two birds with one stone...not that you'll have the cheeks vibrate on yours.   I'm sure it depends on the choice of engine and prop and such.  Whichever way you go, unnecessary weight is always my last resort.  But increased voltage for the receiver and servos I don't consider unnecessary.  Besides 6 volts is the way to go with spektrum anyway. 

If you're not already using a 6 volt this will certainly help shift the CG forward and lessen any dead weight you may have to add.

Good luck.
Shaggy
Old 09-14-2010, 05:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll just add that even though dead weight should be your last resort, once you get to that point, don't be afraid to add as much as you need!

If the plane needs 12oz of lead in the nose, it won't fly better if you only use 11oz.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 AM
outdoorhunting

I did the same thing as Shaggy48. I glued a piece of ply between the cheeks & also used them to put a couple of oz of weight on it. That put the weight just behind the prop. I personally don't like the idea of puuting extra weight & stress on the engine with a weighted spinner. I played with it for a while, it would've taken 6 ozs. if I placed the weight on the firewall. The weights are easy to get to later if needed to change the CG.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM
jnbschaefer

Hi All, Boy do I need help. We build the big Escapade and went electric. The plans from Tower Hobbies calls for the COG to be 4" back and with that position the thing is so tail heavy I won't fly it. We added a ton of weight and still out of balance. The battery is as far forward as possible. I was trying to get an idea of how much weight I would have to add, so I put a pair of vice grips just behing the prop and sucess. But whoe wants to flu with vice grips on your nose. Just kidding. Dont know what else to do but add a similar amount of weight to the inside of the motor mount. Anybody have this issue and if so am I on the right track?

Thanks for your help
Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 AM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Have you considered putting some spacers between the firewall and the motor mounting plate, effectively moving the motor further out from the CG? You don't want it so far foward it'll spoil the looks of the Escapade, but moving it out 1/2" to 3/4" will reduce the amount of lead you'll need to balance it. You might also consider a larger capacity battery: if you're going to have to add weight, it might as well be somewhat useful in the form of a heavier battery.