Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Discontinued Great Planes .60 Fokker DR1 Rebuild and Modification

After consulting with a few people about it, they all wanted me to post my steps on my rebuild and modification of my discontinued .60 Fokker DRI. So here it goes.

I paid $300.00 for the plane, included was a discontinued 1984 O.S. 120 fs engine, and JR NES-537 servos. I drove a total of 400 miles to pick up the plane from a seller that had an ad at RCU Market Place.

The engine was like new and had plenty of compression, the servos were in excellent condition, but the plane looked like it wanted to pass gas and fall apart! The cowl was very cracked, the tail skid was broken and modified, the covering was all wrinkled with many patches. It had a few "box tape patches" and the landing gear was broken.

In a few spots it looked as if the previous owner tried to get the wrinkles out and had the iron too hot, damaging the Mono in a few places. Finally, there were cracks and dents in the soft balsa sheeting on the fuse, and damage around the switch area on the fuse because the previous owner failed to reinforce the area around it.

I always wanted the .60 Great Planes Fokker DRI, so I could make it more scale looking. Great Planes discontinued the plane 2 years before I entered this hobby and I've been very disappointed ever since.

Here are the pictures of me picking up the plane, the engine that was in it, and me assembling the plane for the last time before the start of the restoration and modification process.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pn38029.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	1508979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig13045.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	1508980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To45026.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	1508981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf97949.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	1508982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa86680.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	1508983  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va73443.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	1508984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh13967.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	1508985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hs96135.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	1508986  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: My Discontinued Great Planes .60 Fokker DR1 Rebuild and Modification

[:'(]
    \"Propellers are notorious for inflicting serious bodily harm while vigorously defending their space\" George Aldrich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[sm=50_50.gif]

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The first thing I did was strip all the Mono and I saved all the Iron Crosses so I can use them as a reference when I order them in vinyl. Because the cowl was torn up a bit, I ordered another cowl from Fiberglass Specialties for about $40. I highly recommend them, they make discontinued cowls dating back over 30 years.

Right now I'm in the middle of fixing the cracks, dents, filling all the holes and using HobbyLite Balsa Filler to make sure I feel no imperfections after sanding. I have a few more CA hinges to remove left, every one of them was pined! [:@] But after a little digging and using debonder with a surgical clamp, they come right out.

I noticed that the O.S. 120fs (before surpass) was way too big for this plane even though I'm sure the sound was very nice. So I decided to use my O.S. .91 FX Ringed instead. I'll have more room and I'll be able to swing a scale prop.

After taking the covering off I can see he wiped out and tore off the bottom wing. He did a good job on the repair. However, I'm going to improve it a little better when I finally get to it.

The stock landing gear is going in the trash! [X(] It has no give for those hard landings. JMHO no wonder Great Planes had issues with it. I plan on using the Hanger 9 Fokker landing gear, it looks more to scale and it has the rubber O-rings for the shock absorber.

If you people want to know the trick to debond CA and epoxy so you can pull parts off without any or little damage? Use the good ol heat gun. Make the glue area nice and hot and it will liquify enough you can just pull what ever you want off. It doesn't work well with plastic though.

Pete

Name:	Bz76872.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	1509141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh20385.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	1509142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv54161.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	1509143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ha79043.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	1509144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Am73618.jpg 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	1509145  

Name:	Zq95929.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	1509146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ln10481.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	1509147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On45643.jpg 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	1509148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ml88649.jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	1509149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bn66284.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	1509150  

Name:	Ci43573.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	1509151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kv85851.jpg 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1509152  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe this plane is between 1/5 and 1/6 scale. It's metric so I'm not sure with the math.

Great Planes Fokker Specs:

Wingspan: 60 in (1525 mm)
    Wing Area: 1312 inΒ² (84.6 dmΒ²)
    Length: 48 in (1220 mm)

Real Fokker DR1 Specs:

Length: 5.77 m (18 ft 11 in)
    Wingspan: 7.20 m (23 ft 7 in)
    Wing area: 18.70 mΒ² (201 ftΒ²)

Anyone who is good with math please check my calculations and tell me what you think.

Everytime I see a Fokker DR1 it seems to be always red, either it's Manfred or Lothar's paint jobs. I like Manfred and Lothar's planes and what was written about them, don't get me wrong. There were about 350 that were built by the Fokker-Flugzeugwerke, how many pilots had their plane painted red besides Manfred?

Most of the time when I see a Fokker DR1 at a show it's either the 425/17 or 477/17 or Lothar's 454/17. I don't mind seeing them at the shows and I respect the work of the builder. But to me it's like, " Just another Red Fokker DR1."

I'm starting to see more and more Black Fokker DR1's based on the " Flyboy's Movie." It's very inaccurate! Not many people don't know how inaccurate it is, but to us WWI buffs we know.

It's true that it is hard to see color in black and white film or photo's and it's hard to find accurate profiles, if I guy came up to me with a cane and said I had it all wrong, I promise you I'll get his autograph and I'll post it here!

I'm hoping the Osprey Book is good enough for me to get a close enough accurate color profile. That way I don't build " Just another Red Fokker DR1.

Pete

Name:	Vt57998.jpg 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	1509161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn41348.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	1509162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw57095.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	1509163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fz73880.jpg 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1509164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hs95031.jpg 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	1509165  

Name:	Zp94722.jpg 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	1509166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rt31708.jpg 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	1509167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz89226.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	1509168  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The DR.1's left the factory with the Olive died streaked fabric in a diagonal direction. Several dies were mixed and then applied over the linen fabric. Once the pilots received their plane, the personalizing began and thus the varying colors/markings were seen. Jacobs mount was the one that was black with the demon on the side...hand painted. Most folks think that DR.1's are supposed to be red which obviously is not true.
    I built the BUSA 1/4 scale version (mount 403/17)a few years ago and modded it heavily with GTM accessories. It turned out beautifully and is my all time favorite plane. It uses all pull/pull control with scale bungeed landing gear, skids, etc.

Are you going to be using fabric to recover? If I were you, I would make the LG taller as GP shortened them to make ground handling easier and it looks awkward. Good luck with your project....you have an opportunity to turn a run of the mill ARF into a one of a kind beauty!
    I didn\'\'\'\'t choose Mojo, Mojo chose me PRO BRO #1963

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for your kind words, flygilmore. The Hanger 9 Fokker DVII landing gear is perfect for the Great Planes DR1, I have to do a little modification but not much to make to make it fit.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I first saw the original Great Planes stock landing gear for the Fokker DR1. "It's way out of scale and too short!" []

Then I looked at my Hanger 9 Fokker DVII in my living room and wondered, "Can I make it work?" I took some measurements and found that the width and length of the landing gear is perfect. The diameter of the wire is the same, all I have to do is drill a few holes and the landing gear will be a perfect fit.

This is one of the reasons why I believe my Fokker DR1 is between 1/6 and 1/5 scale; because my Hanger 9 Fokker DVII is about 1/6 scale. Looking at the planes side by side, the scale looks to me to be about right.

Now on the ground handling issue - I don't mind walking my plane out onto the runway and pointing it right into the light breeze for take offs. I normally don't fly in winds that gust over 5mph if I can help it. I plan on building workable scale axe handle skids for the bottom wings. I don't know about your DR1, flygilmore, but I've seen people with DR1 aircraft cartwheel when they slowed after a landing, as the result from dipping a wing and having it catch on the grass, making it nose over. I figure the scale handles will help me combat that bad tendency a little just like the real ones did for the full scale.

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The build is going well so far, I filled the cracks with balsa filler and sanded all the imperfections I could feel with my finger tips. I removed quite a bit of the old driped epoxy. The original builder seemed to be a bit sloppy with the glue.

I put in new push rod guides, I decided not to modify the plane for "pull-pull" cables do to not being able to reach inside the cowl with my Dremel. Plus I suspect it would weaken the fuse a little by knocking out the supports.

Due to I'm planning on using the O.S. 91FX Ringed Engine for this plane, I took dowls of different sizes and epoxied them in the old holes that were in the firewall. I made them flush on both sides and used thinned out epoxy to fuel proof the ends of the dowls.

Little by little I'm still picking of old bits of the original Mono. I'm using acetone to remove some of the colored glue that was left from the old Mono. What I can't remove I lightly sand off. I'm not sure yet on what model profile I want to portray, but if I use a light covering in the back half of the fuse, I don't want any of the red pieces of old Mono to blead through the new covering.

My Osprey book on the "Fokker DR1 Aces" should arrive today in the mail I hope.

Pete

Name:	Ki20315.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	1510781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh19387.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	1510782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ms43001.jpg 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	1510783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mg98105.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	1510784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cn79882.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	1510785  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had one and you need to beef up the bottom wing or you will break it to.Fly it at dusk or dawn even 5mph wind makes it adventure to take-off and land.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As mentioned, I have the GTM oak skids on my BUSA 1/4 scale DR.1. They are scale reproductions and work absolutely wonderfully-without them, there would no doubt be problems! My DR.1 comes in so realistic and solid it is scary how real it seems. I come in with just a touch of power and touch down very softly on the mains and "continue to fly" the plane on the ground keeping it straight and smooth. Once the speed bleeds off (which isn't much BTW) the tail will softly drop onto the oak bungeed skid and proceed to do an ever so graceful semi ground loop to the right (more of a gradual curve) and the left wing skid does its job every time. It is such a real experience landing the DR.1 and that is why it is one of my favorite planes of all time! Even with the tall gear, I have never had a nose over and I think that is due to the scale bungeed landing gear system that I incorporated, plus, it allows the 15 pound model to touch down ever so gentle with no tendency to bounce.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

As mentioned, I have the GTM oak skids on my BUSA 1/4 scale DR.1. They are scale reproductions and work absolutely wonderfully-without them, there would no doubt be problems! My DR.1 comes in so realistic and solid it is scary how real it seems. I come in with just a touch of power and touch down very softly on the mains and ''continue to fly'' the plane on the ground keeping it straight and smooth. Once the speed bleeds off (which isn't much BTW) the tail will softly drop onto the oak bungeed skid and proceed to do an ever so graceful semi ground loop to the right (more of a gradual curve) and the left wing skid does its job every time. It is such a real experience landing the DR.1 and that is why it is one of my favorite planes of all time! Even with the tall gear, I have never had a nose over and I think that is due to the scale bungeed landing gear system that I incorporated, plus, it allows the 15 pound model to touch down ever so gentle with no tendency to bounce.

My favorite plane of WWI is the Fokker DVIIF, but my favorite plane for the looks and style from WWI is the Fokker DR1. Do you have the link to GTM? I don't know if they make 1/5 scale skids, if they do I'll buy them- If not then I'll make them from scratch.

The bungeed landing gear does make a difference, I usually grease my landings with my Fokker DVII and I have to fly it as well until it stops like your DR1.

5 mph wind or greater causes havic with my Fokker DVII also, and crosswind landings or take offs are just plain deadly! So I plan on not flying my DR1 unless there is very little or no wind. I have a hand held wind gauge that is very accurate, and has saved me a plane or two in the past- so I plan on continuing to use it.

The bottom wing got busted before from the previous owner. That is why I'm putting on the skids. Without the skids the leading edge of the bottom wing will dig in the grass resulting in breaking the bottom wing.

The original owner/builder of this plane epoxied the bottom wing where it broke. It looks like he beefed it up by making the repair. People figure that a repair makes a weak spot, that's really not the case if done right.

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sent you a PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got it! Thanks flygilmore.

I E-mailed Glenn and he said he only had 1/4 and 1/3 scale products. However, he mentioned that I should try Proctor Enterprises. So I thanked him and I shot a E-mail to Proctor explaning I need some 1/5 scale parts. I heard a lot of bad stories about Arizona Models. [&:]

They do have a 1/5 scale Spandau kit, but I'm afraid if I order it, he'll take my money and not send it to me until next year. I'm hoping to have this plane threaten the skys over NYS by April or May of next year.

Now on the Axe Handle Skids topic, it looks as if I'm going to make them from scratch. [&:][X(] Oh well.

Glenn, the GTM founder is one of the nicest people to do buisness with. It's too bad I don't have the space in my house for his models. I'd be knocking over a lot of lamps and knocking things off tables with his birds.

I will be ordering my landing gear and a few bags of bungee's later today from Horizon Hobby. Any of you think the stock Great Planes Wheels are a little on the large side? Or is it a visual effect because of the short stock landing gear making the wheels look larger?

Your thoughts please.

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After looking around for any 1/5 scale things for my plane, Arizona Models was the only company that had the Spandau guns and half LeRhone Engine crank case kit. I'm in contact with them now through Email and will be ordering it this Tuesday.

A few days ago I ordered the Hanger 9 Fokker DVII Landing gear kit and after a little manipulation, I got it to fit on the fuse. I measured the length of the stock landing gear and compared it to the Hanger 9 Fokker landing gear struts and I found that the Hanger 9 landing gear strut measures about 3-4mm more in length, and the width (strut to strut) is more narrow by about 5mm when everything is tightened down on the plane. Not much more in length, but it looks way better.

In order to make the bungee system work, I had to take a 6" long 5/8 drill bit and drill right through the landing gear stock strut lower wing. I first attached the the gear struts to the body of the fuse and clamped everything down with screws, then I attached the landing gear with screws to the stock strut lower wing to the the gear struts. Aligning and marking with a pencil everything up was a pain in the *****!

Then taking my long drill bit and using a float bubble level and using the metal hole on the Hanger 9 Strut, I drilled through from both ends of the wing. I worked it untill the wheel rod went all the way through and had no up and down resistance.

I attatched a O-ring to both sides and slid the wheels on and put it on the floor and compared the pictures of the full size Fokker and it was a perfect match in landing gear height, and the angle of the lower wing was perfect. I wish I could have been able to slide the struts in the wing like the full size Fokker, but then I wouldn't have been able to reach the O-rings if I needed to.

The rudder and rear fuse is completely done. I took balsa and filled the hinge slots with epoxy and filler. Everything is ready to be re-slotted.

In the pictures, I just slapped everything together without tightening anything down- so you all can see how the landing gear will sit on the fuse.

What you don't see is that the wheels sit actually lower on the landing gear struts, down on the ground when the O-rings are in place, and the landing gear struts are more narrow looking from the front when everything is tightened up. Sorry, I forgot to take a pic of that, but you will all see what I mean when everything is covered and it's being all assembled for the final time.

My wife wants me to do Josef Jacobs' second black plane. That's the one without the Devil on the sides of the fuse. It had a white rudder, and had the straight white and black crosses on the rudder, fuse and top and bottom wing. I have the color profile, but I don't have permission to post it from the artist. So I'm giving you all a picture of a 1/72 model of it instead.

I thought about doing Udet's or Kirschsteins Fokker, but then I thought it would be easier to do Jacobs after talking with my wife. This skin will be a more accurate black Fokker, not like the the so called "Flyboy" version that's been showing up at some shows. Most of all, it won't be "Just another Red Fokker." JMHO

Pete

Name:	Ig11320.jpg 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	1513946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni25157.jpg 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	1513947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di98985.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	1513948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wq42973.jpg 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	1513949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oa32203.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	1513950  

Name:	Jz39271.jpg 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	1513951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vx45669.jpg 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	1513952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hg21054.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	1513953  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oberst, before you order anything from Arizona Models you might want to search RCU and read about others experience with them.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oberst, before you order anything from Arizona Models you might want to search RCU and read about others experience with them.

Bruce

I have read some of the nightmares about Arizona Models, and I have no other choice. No one else deals with 1/5 scale aircraft parts, if you know any other place I can go to get a 1/5 scale gun or engine kit please share it, meanwhile Arizona has the monopoly.

Anything 1/6 scale will be way too small for this plane, and 1/4 scale will be way too large.

Wish me luck, and I thank you for the warning anyway. I know your intentions were to look out for a fellow modeler.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oberst, I wish you the best of luck with Arizona Models. I am enjoying following your rebuild of the DR1.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete great job , dont know if 1/6 scale or 1/4 will be ok with you , but this is the williams brother parts
    Match All Words Match Whole Words Only Match Any Words

Williams Brothers 1/6 Scale Vickers Aircraft Machine Gun

1/6 Scale, Williams Brothers Vickers Aircraft Machine Gun.
    Injection molded in black plastic, 7" long.

SKU Number:W16000 Price: $10.50

Quantity:

Williams Brothers 1/6 Scale Spandau Aircraft Machine Gun

1/6 Scale, Williams Brothers Spandau Aircraft Machine Gun.
    Injection molded in black plastic, 7-3/8" long.

SKU Number:W16200 Price: $10.50

Quantity:

Williams Brothers 1/6 Scale Lewis Aircraft Machine Gun

1/6 Scale, Williams Brothers Lewis Aircraft Machine Gun.
    Injection molded in black plastic, 6-3/4" long.

SKU Number:W16100 Price: $8.95

Quantity:

Williams Brothers 1/6 Scale Parabellum German Aircraft Machine Gun

1/6 Scale, Williams Brothers Parabellum German Aircraft Machine Gun.
    Precision injection molded in black plastic, approximately 7-1/2" long.

SKU Number:W16300 Price: $10.95

Quantity:

Williams Brothers 1/4 Scale Spandau Aircraft Machine Gun

1/4 Scale, Williams Brothers Spandau Aircraft Machine Gun.
    Injection molded in black plastic, 10-3/4" long.

SKU Number:W75100 Price: $17.75

Quantity:
    LDM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: landeck

Oberst, I wish you the best of luck with Arizona Models. I am enjoying following your rebuild of the DR1.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, Arizona Models was no go. I called them leaving messages all day and I gave up. Your right everyone, Arizona Models needs some serious customer service skills! [:@]

I called Great Planes Tech Department and my LHS. They all told me if it were them, they would go with the 1/6 scale guns and engine. It was their opinion that it won't be too small, and not that noticable. 1/4 scale is way too big and would be odviously out of scale. So I'm going with the majority on this one.

Pete great job , dont know if 1/6 scale or 1/4 will be ok with you- LDM

I ordered the the WB 1/6 scale Spandau's and LaRhone from my LHS a few hours ago. I'll have to scratch build the ammo boxes and butt padding for the guns. I might modify the LeRhone to look like the Clerget, I'll have to see what I can do when the engine arrives.

I also ordered the Dubro Vintage 140mm wheels to replace the stock foam wheels. I think foam wheels is sacrilege to any scale! JMHO

The particular Josef Jacobs plane that I'm building, had the Clerget engine in it. By the time he was using his second plane, Oberursels were merely impossible to come by and parts were not all that available. Josef Jacobs was so angry about it that he told troops, " If anyone can find, and send me a very good or new condition enemy aircraft engine, there will be a crate of champagne in it for all of them."

Thanks to Josef Jacobs, Jasta 7 had a large supply of captured engines, mostly the Clerget- which improved the speed and preformance of the Fokker DR1. On his second plane he also had a English prop put on, and that also enhanced the flight characteristics even more.

Before his death in 1978, Josef Jacobs claimed he had 3 Fokker DR1's, only the first one had the "Devil's Head" 450/17. The second was the 470/17 and the 3rd plane is unknown. I'm doing the 2nd or unknown 3rd plane. There's debate if the second plane had the white around the black crosses, or it was like his 3rd plane- with just the white crosses.

I ordered the Hanger 9 Camel Tail Skid because it is more accurate (scale and looks) for the Dr1. Plus I decided to use it instead of cutting one out of 1/4 ply. It's lighter and will have a little give. This will act like a shock obsorber and will be less likely to break if I have a very bad landing. ( I rarely have them, but you never know.)

I thank you both for the kind words and interest. And as always, it's an honor to have a very skilled modeler like Lou watching anyones Thread.

Wow! What we go through to restore, improve and modify discontinued sport scale planes. I'm sure it will be all worth it in the end.

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good news everyone!

I just got off the phone with the owner of WB. They have been talking to the CAD designers in Italy, and they WILL be producing 1/5 and 1/3 scale guns and engines. They will be releasing the 1/5 and 1/3 scale Vickers first.

Thanks to the people from RCU and myself, the committee voted that it was profitable enough to make these scales. So keep your eyes open for the new products from William Brothers

In the meantime, they told me that 1/6 scale will work for my plane.

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got my Hanger 9 .91 Engine Mount this morning and my Hanger 9 Camel tail skid. The engine mount is perfect, but the tail skid is way too small. [:@] I figured it would be the same size as the Hanger 9 Fokker DVII- but I was wrong. I might as well make one from scratch, I'll look around to see what's on the market first before I make my final decision.

I did some filling and sanding on the fuse some more, I decided to put a charge receptacle on the fuse next to where the forward cabane will sit. I will put another one on the top wing so when I need to take the wings off, all I will need to do is just unplug it. [8D] I plan on customizing the wires to make it all work. ( A little tip changing) I also plan on using black heat shrink to keep the wire tight against the cabane. It will hide the wire better and keep things a little neater.

I shaped the cockpit more to scale and took out that horrible stock instrument panel. For kicks, I took a look at the stock glow tank (good thing I did) and found that the brass hardware rotted out! [X(] So I rebult all the innards and replaced the brass with new aluminum tubes. I had to soak the tank overnight with 50% vinegar, 25% dish soap and 25% alcohol of the 90% type. I still had to scrub some of the old dirt out of the tank with a baby bottle brush, but I got it like new again.

I used a thin 4mm push rod guide for my receiver antenna to go through. I used a thin piece of balsa, hand drilled a 4mm hole in it and glued it to the back of the fuse with CA. I ran the tube where my receiver will be at- all the way to the balsa plate at the back of the fuse. I designed it this way so I can hide the antenna better.

More to come, stay tuned...

Pete

Name:	Lj23975.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	1520082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je11088.jpg 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	1520083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lr39256.jpg 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	1520084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nh10759.jpg 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	1520085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Am73692.jpg 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	1520086  

Name:	Iy36155.jpg 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	1520087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ac62878.jpg 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1520088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om44399.jpg 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	1520089  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Pete, will be following your thread all the way, nice find especally with the engine and servos. I picked up a GP DR1 ARF, new in bow this summer for $200 and a 40 mile drive. A great deal and find! I will be putting it together over the Winter. I plan to remove the covering in the center of he bottom wing and beefing it up as I've read it's way too weak. I'll be upgrading the wheels also, but that's about it. Until it needs a major overhaul, I'll just be flying a "run of the mill ARF" I have a friend that has been flying one for about 5 years and loves it. He is the one who told me to beef up the wing. I think if I ever need to do a major overhaul I'll go with the dull dark red on the top wing and olive green on the bottom, all with some airbrushing to make them look old and using solartex fabric covering.

By the way, if the OS120 four stroke is too much engine, doesn't the OS91FX two stroke have about the same or possibly more power? I'm either going with a Saito 91s four stroke or I might look into a 20cc gasser if it will fit under the cowl. I've heard they also need some nose weight to CG correctly. Here is a pic of mine and a few pics from the Dawn Patrol fly-in in our area. DG

Name:	Nl30753.jpg 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	1520153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id95973.jpg 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	1520154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk24902.jpg 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	1520155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql33131.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1520156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jp32165.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	1520157  

Name:	Cw64308.jpg 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	1520158  
    Experience is something you aquire after you need it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow! That is a great find, and thank you for following my build. [8D] If you have any idea's feel free to chime in, I'm here to learn and teach. I'm not a expert builder, but I try to improve each time I build a plane.

I'll be using black and white Solartex for mine, I haven't ordered it yet. The O.S. FS-120 was way too big in the weight and size factor. In the pictures you can see that the head of the engine didn't quite fit in the cowl. Plus the stock landing gear was all busted up. I suspect it was because of the weight factor (and or) bad flying that broke the darn thing in the first place... It's hard to tell.

My O.S. .91 FX Ringed has about the same amount of power as the O.S. FS 120, however it's a little lighter and smaller. It fits very well in the cowl with room to spare.

O.S. FS-120 1983 (Before Surpass) 27.0oz.
    O.S. .91FX Ringed 19.42oz.

The reasons why I'm using the .91 is that I've already broken in the motor, plus I can swing a scale prop. If you ever had the chance to hear the O.S. 91 FX Ringed engine run, you might notice that It doesn't quite sound like your typical 2-stroke.

It has a deeper sound to it with the stock muffler on it. I plan on buying a Bisson Pitts Muffler for this bird, I hope this won't change the sound by much. The last reason why I'm using the .91 engine is because- this plane needs a lot of nose weight to balance properly. To me, the .61 engine is too light, and If I were to use this engine, I would need to add lead to the nose.

I have read that the stock landing gear does have problems, so DG keep an eye on it. The original owner broke the bottom wing right where the weak spot has been written about. He fixed it with epoxy actually making the wing stronger. So if I wanted to, I could leave it... and it would be OK. But everyone who knows me- knows I'm going to make it cleaner and beef it up just a little more.

The guy who sold me my DR1 had his expo set at 19% and he said the plane was twitchy on the ailerons. But other than that, he said once the plane is trimmed, it flys like it's on rails. I plan on setting everything on mine at 25% for its flight test.

I ordered these wheels for my plane:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKLV2&P=7

The wheels are the right scale, the stock foam ones are slightly too big.

Well, I decided to make the tail skid from scratch. I first drew it and cut it out of 1/4 " ply. I went by pictures as a guide.I cut it out by hand because I haven't bought a Scroll Saw yet. Man, it was a B*tch! But it came out just right. I'm planning on adding the brass skid plate and skid support later, just like what it had on the original DR1. I took a few pictures of the skid just after I stained it. Sorry I didn't put it on the fuse so you'ld all know how it looks, the stain as you might guess was still wet.

More to come!

Pete

Name:	Ro41684.jpg 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	1520360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21078.jpg 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1520361  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally cut out the hinge slots for the rudder, I plan on using 3 Dubro Nylon Hinges for it so it can take the stress. I bought myself a Slot Machine by GreatPlanes. Wow, I really like it- It beats doing it by hand. It does take a bit to get used to at first.

Once the rudder and fuse slots were done I did the elevators and horizontal stabilizer. I did a bit more sanding and filling and I got everything lined up. I noticed a sizable gap between the fuse and where the horizontal stabilizer meet up. (factory mess up)

So once again I shaped a piece of balsa and CA glued it in place and smoothed everything out. I then put everything together temporarily to make sure everything looked right, then I took everything a part and I'm storing the elevators and rudder until I'm ready to cover them.

I made a small tail skid support inside the aft part of the fuse. It also helps me get the angle right- matching what the full size DR1 had. I'm currently making the fake tail skid bungee shock right now. Later I'll be making the brass bands and skid plate that goes on the skid out of aluminum and will be painting it brass do to it's not a working system.

This is slowly moving along... I'm in no rush.

Pete

Name:	Xu62716.jpg 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	1522845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pl32476.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	1522846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo30341.jpg 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	1522847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tm30565.jpg 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	1522848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ju13246.jpg 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	1522849  

Name:	Iz38458.jpg 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	1522850  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm currently making the fake tail skid bungee shock right now. Later I'll be making the brass bands and skid plate that goes on the skid out of aluminum and will be painting it brass do to it's not a working system.

Here's a few pictures so you can get an idea where I'm coming from. The shock is made from 2 rubber o-rings and 2 washers on a aluminum tube. I'll cut out the rest of the hardware later on after the plane is covered and the skid is epoxied in place. I drilled a hole 1/4 of the way in the fuse and skid, so when I glue everything in place, the fake skid bungee shock will add some support to the main skid.

I use the Osprey "Fokker DR1 Aces" as a reference for the fully extended shock look.

Pete

Name:	Ca82425.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	1522927   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx75674.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	1522928  

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast