Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Where can I get a Goldberg Tiger 60 ARF?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Where can I get a Goldberg Tiger 60 ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:38 PM
bschvaneveldt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get a Goldberg Tiger 60 ARF?

I can't find one anywhere. It is out of stock. Any help would be appreciated. I would consider buying one already built if Ican find one. Thanks

Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 PM
WCB

Default RE: Where can I get a Goldberg Tiger 60 ARF?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=687370

Local pickup only though.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM
bschvaneveldt

Isent him a message, and he said he won't ship.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:06 PM
WCB

Build one from a kit.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:21 AM
ProScaleRc

I haven't seen this for myself, but I've been told the Tiger is the same as the Kyosho Calmato if that helps?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:38 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ProScaleRc

I haven't seen this for myself, but I've been told the Tiger is the same as the Kyosho Calmato if that helps?

I've seen it for myself. Had both and except for the covering, they're very much the same. About the only difference was the Calmato would snap dependably, while no stock Tiger wanted to. The Tigers have an elevator area that's smaller than normal. That appears to limit the maximum affect they can provide. I modified my Tiger 60 to increase elevator area and that made it possible to snap that one. But it often wouldn't. I had tried to improve that with CG, but it wasn't a good way to go, so enlarged the elevator. The Calmato already had a bit more, at least the 46size did.

Here are the two I had at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76945.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	1527920  
Old 11-04-2010, 11:19 AM
bschvaneveldt

Thanks for the help so far. I am new to the sport and building from a kit scares me. Ihave never heard about Kyyosho, but it does look the same. Is it as good? I will ask the guy teaching me to fly. He is the one who recommended the Goldberg Tiger 60. I can't seem to find any Kyosho Calmato 60'sout there either. There must be a conspiracy with this plane type or something. There are a few european sites out there with the Calmato, but I am nervous about buying from them. Please help.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Check out the Lone Star 50 at Texas RC Planes, pretty much a Tiger 60 clone.

http://www.texasrcplanes.com/lonestar50lw.html
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM
bschvaneveldt

Does the Calmato have a symetrical wing like the Tiger? Which one is better quality? The Tiger 2 (40) scale is available. Which one would be better for me as a learner, the 60 scale or the 40 scale?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: bschvaneveldt

Does the Calmato have a symetrical wing like the Tiger? Which one is better quality? The Tiger 2 (40) scale is available. Which one would be better for me as a learner, the 60 scale or the 40 scale?

Only differences between the Calmato and Tiger are a couple of outlines and the covering design. The rudder shape differs in that the Calmato rudder is shorter at the bottom. The Calmato elevator is a larger percentage of the horizontal tail area.

Quality was about the same. Both need to be ironed out of the box. If you don't, they'll both peel and the wrinkles won't go away.

A 60 is a bit easier to fly than a 40. It handles gusts better, but the difference isn't worth losing sleep over. I always wanted to get the burgundy 60 Calmato just for the looks. But I'd gotten the Tiger60 ARF at a special price, so built it.

The wings are almost exactly identical.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 AM
ProScaleRc

The Calmato was the plane of preference for first timers at my last flying field. It's easy to fly and flies aerobatic when u r ready to step up. If you are worried there is a high-wing version that is rediculously easy to fly.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 AM
bschvaneveldt

My trainer wants me to go to a symetrical wing. One review said it was sem-symatrical. What is the wing type of the Calmato? I have mastered y high wing trainer and am ready for my second plane.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
WCB

I am new to the sport and building from a kit scares me.
I always recommend a new pilot to build a kit.
Try an easy kit sometime. Most of the often recommended 2nd planes are easy to build. You learn so much valuable information about how our models are constructed and the different woods and adhesives used and it gives you an understanding of how to do repairs. You'll discover an aspect of the hobby that a lot of people nowadays overlook.

wcb
Old 11-05-2010, 02:27 PM
ameyam

As far as I know, both the Calmato and the Tiger have semi-symmetrical wings. They are copies of each-other with some minor differences to ensure that there is no litigation. There is also a Tiger copy in Phoenix but the Phoenix Tiger 40 has a smaller wing span at 59" and I found it to be much more unstable than the other low-wingers in the same type. Obviously, Phoenix is cheaper if thats is what you want. Phoenix has both 40 and 60 sizers

Ameyam
Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have a stick built Tiger 60 and it was an easy kit to build and do recommend any one flying should build one kit. It helps for repairs in the future. I would send you mine but it is a little large to ship, but again it is an easy build.

Andy
Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: bschvaneveldt

My trainer wants me to go to a symetrical wing. One review said it was sem-symatrical. What is the wing type of the Calmato? I have mastered y high wing trainer and am ready for my second plane.
Don't sweat the airfoil. It is nowhere close to being flat bottom and the planes perform outside and inside maneuvers as if the airfoil was symmetrical.

The airfoil is so close to symmetrical that I've had flying buddies look at the wing and say something like, "I thought that Tiger was supposed to have a semi-symmetrical wing." You're new at this so probably haven't learned that there isn't much difference in the way semi-symmetrical and symmetrical wings perform. Now flat bottom wings are quite a different thing than either, but not much to choose from between semi and full.

No, don't sweat the airfoil. There is nothing about it that is a realistic limitation.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM
outlander

My instructor also likes Tigers . I have a Tiger II with an OS FSa 72 on it . It is set up as a tail
dragger which I finds works better on our grass field . I think Goldberg Tigers are fully symetrical
airfoil and fly different because of this . I also have a Hangar 9 Pulse XT 60 with an OS FS91 .
It flies well but is semi-symetrical and doesn't seem to fly as well ,especially inverted .
I have a 60 size Tiger ARF and a Tiger kit
to build but I am busy building a Giant Stik at the moment . I have talked to Great Planes about
the lack of a Tiger in their line after the take over and have been told they might be reissued next year
. I hope so , it is a great flying ARF.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM
NoelJ

The .40 size Tiger II had a semi-symetrical airfoil, and flew much like a trainer. The bigger Tiger 60 had a full-symertrical airfoil, and was more aerobatic, not quite as gentle as the Tiger II.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitroplanes has some "trainers" and this one looks like a tiger to me., but you guys who actually flew them might pick out one that is a little closer to the Tiger 60. I've seen this plane fly- it does very well in the air.

NitroModel Low-Wing Super Aerobatic Trainer 60 - 71" Nitro Gas Radio Remote Controlled Airplane
$79.95, 2/$139.00
Item#: 90A185

Ed
Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 PM
alltumbs

Brent

Your check came today. Thanks for the fast payment.  Hope you and your son enjoy it. A real pleasure doing business with you.

Jim
Old 11-20-2010, 11:13 PM
ameyam

If you are still looking for a Tiger, you could pickup one from Phoenix. They have both 40 & 60, the only difference I could pickout is that the 60 is much larger. There are minor differences between Phoenix, Kyosho Calmato and CG but not much in terms of flying characteristics. The Phoenix ones are a lot sturdier as they are built for developing countries. I have hit a eagle with my left wing (bird was ok, I losing about 4" of top sheeting) and later cartwheeled on takeoff (breaking the tail just infront of ths stab and fuse behing the wing) and it is still flying well after repair and rebalancing. Also the covering is PVC meaning you can patch it easy and tighten with a hair-drier, so no dedicated tools are required

Ameyam
Old 11-21-2010, 09:21 AM
outlander

The Phoenix site says the Tiger 60 is a semi-symmetrical design , not symmetrical wing . Not the same .
Old 11-21-2010, 09:29 AM
ameyam

In my earlier post I mentioned that the Phoenix Tiger 40 had semi-symmetrical wings and thats what I repeated in my reply "the only difference I could pickout is that the 60 is much larger"

Ameyam
Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 AM
bschvaneveldt

I now have a Goldberg Tiger 60 ARF thanks to this forum. Allthumbs had one and sold it to me. Thank you all for your help. Now Ihave to figure out what radio to get. I just have a 4 channel Futaba. My instructor says Ishould get a 6 or 7 channel, so that I can do mixing. Do Igo with the new 2.4 technology? If so, do Igo with Futaba or Spectrum? I am learning that Spectrum is having some issues. What do you guys think?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM
noterman

The Tiger 60 is a great plane! As far as radio's go, if you will want/need to use a buddy-box occasionally, get what ever your instructor can hook up to. Definately go 2.4 ghz. If you're not concerned about a buddy-box, I would highly recomend the Airtronics 6G that just came out. It has 6 channels and more advanced programming than any other 6 channel I know of (and is easy to program). Most people end up needing bigger transmitters for the programing more than for additional channels. I'm not saying you will never need more channels, just that programming limitations are much more frustrating than channel count. Hope this helps......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.