Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hangar 9 Twin Otter Wing Strut Problem

I'm almost done putting together the Hangar 9 Twin Otter ARF, but I'm having trouble with the wing struts and I'd like any advice others can offer.

It looks like I need to modify the openings in the nacelles and in the landing gear fairings quite substantially to get the struts to fit. I find that with the strut fastened to the fuselage, I can't slide the wing on, get the strut into the nacelle, and push it all they way to the fuselage, unless the wing tube is pulled almost all the way back into the fuselage. Obviously, this will only work for one wing panel! Also, the strut is held away from the wing surface inside the nacelle because it is pressing on the nacelle.

Did any other people have to modify the fiberglass nacelles and fairings to get the wing struts to fit?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hangar 9 Twin Otter Wing Strut Problem

I had the same problem. This is what I did.

I had to cut a small slot on the outboard side of each nacelle for strut clearance. I also had to slot the hole in the strut about 1/8". This is with the strut all the way into the fuse. The next problem I'm having is to get a good fix with the landing gear fairings. I might have to trim the fairing around the wing strut.

Also if you look at page 39 step 7 of the manual, you can see the strut does stick out of the nacelle. It would be nice if they said something about cutting a clearance slot for the strut before the nacelle is glued in place!