Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Great Planes Escapade 61.

Yup........Went & checked my clevises also after starting my kit last evening & found the same thing. The holes are too large for the clevises. Both with the Sullivan gold & the included ones.

I went to my parts stock & found some new control horns that looked almost the same with the smaller holes & also had plastic backer plates & through the ail bolts like most have.

I wasn't too happy abput the short wood screws holding the control horns on anyway, so replaced the control horns from my stock.

Again, new control horns with smaller holes.............long bolts through the Ail, with backer plates on the other side. I am now happy!

Now have to find more for the rudder & elevator...............

Tcat
    My Motto: Never get mad, just get even!
    Trust me, I will get even!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didnt have that problem with the clevises,i used du-bro clevises and they fit snug.I just maidened mine today and it flew perfect.I moved the CG to be a little heavy on the nose.Worked like a charm when landing.I got the stall speed clocked at 9MPH with a 3 MPH head wind.I'm still breaking in my engine so top speed wont be noted till i can tune it right.Top speed with needle at 1 3/4 turns out is 53MPH with a 3 -5MPH headwind.I'm assuming with it fully tuned it will hit 75+.Ishould mention im flying with a 75ax,which is plenty power for this plane.I was in the airin about 10-15yards off a grass runway.I must admit this is my first 60 size plane and the way it flies is very forgiving.Landing gear is strong and solid(dont know whats up with the glitter painted landing gear though).I replaced the stock wheels with du-bro low-bounce treaded tires becuase i tend to come in hot since my runway is only 50 yards.14x6 wood prop seems to have plenty pull.All i can say is i cant wait to get out tomorrow and fly! Comments welcome..............

PS Type in (Darylk79) at youtube.com to see some flight videos of my past planes,I will post video of the escapade in a few weeks or so.Thanks
    \"God Speed And Good Luck\"...........And Try Not To Die!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone noticed that the new 61 ESCAPADE is NOT listed in the latest Tower Hobbies catalog?? I find that interesting..
    Fast Eddie
    Club AAM / Colorado - www.arvadamodelers.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It will be out in may's catalog.There printing is 6 months behind.But anyway,i put 5 more flights on mine today and did some virtical take offs and hovers.Taking off at full throttle it will pull almost 90 degrees straight up for about 100 feet.This planes is capable of doing hovers with a 75ax. I held one for about 20-25 seconds with little right rudder.A couple of my flying friends stopped by and wanted to know what it was and where i got it.All i said was "3 Easy Payments...tower hobbies".I do have onerecommendation...Use some 2 sided 1/4" tape for around the canopy, to keep the oil from seeping in and turning the pilot black(no offense).Out of a 1-10 i give this plane a solid 8.

"Landing is Flying"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used Robart Super Ball Clevises/Horns, 3/4" size. It took me about 15 minutes per tail surface to swap them in. On the ailerons I used the existing horns with DuBro ball links. All sufaces are now nice and tight with no binding.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I received my new escapade from GP in 3 days! I'm a happy modeler. Well, almost...

I took everything out of the box and it looks perfect. Haven't taken anything out of the plastic, but the problems I had before are not here on this one, so it looks like a winner!

I've got a good amount of wrinkes. Anyone know what covering is one here? Is it monokote?

Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes it is monokote.Mine had a few too,I just ironed it out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ready for maiden tomorrow, Did run the engine today. I got 12.600 with an Vox 13 x 6.5, my Jett .76 engine should move the Escapade swiftly. Cowl will come later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ec89101.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	1581186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kf14256.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	1581187  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maiden my Escapade today, Great flyer!
    Rolls straight like an arrow, big beautiful rolls.
    The Jett .76 is a powerhouse, rips the Escapade right off the ground and keeps accelerating until allmost out of sight.
    This one is a keeper and most likely going to be the one I fly most this summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk25165.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	1581627  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I maidened mine today also. Supertiger G90 with a 13x8 prop. Had a 15knot headwind on landing and got it a little slow and it wallowed all around. Once I learn the airfoil likes a little bit faster landing. I two wheeled it in for a dozen or so more touch and goes. Trims easy and flys hands off. Almost a trainer but really skoots around on command. Flys very much like my Venus II pattern plane. At 4" back for the CG the elevator is very sensitive. Land it a little faster than a trainer and you will be fine. This is going to be a fun flyer to the max.

G90 half throttle takes off in about 60ft !

padlock

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone installed a small gas engine in this airframe?
    I have a 15cc that looks like it will fit well.
    Thanks
    KW

ORIGINAL: k dub 58

Has anyone installed a small gas engine in this airframe?
    I have a 15cc that looks like it will fit well.
    Thanks
    I saw a video on Youtube of a Escapade 61 running a DLE 20. Seemed like a good match. Probably a bit overpowered but it will fit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

I saw a video on Youtube of a Escapade 61 running a DLE 20. Seemed like a good match. Probably a bit overpowered but it will fit.

Cool because I have a dle20 ordered to go in mine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does a DLE20 fit in the cowl?? Anyone have experience with RCGF-20cc engines?
    Fast Eddie
    Club AAM / Colorado - www.arvadamodelers.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would like to see a close up off the DLE 20 installed. The RCGF is a bulky engine compaired to the DLE.
    ULTRA SPORT BROTHERHOOD #120
    GOLDBERG TIGER CLUB #10
    CLUB SAITO #590

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could use some advice on installing the cowl that came with the kit. How to...?
    This will my very first time installing a cowl, thats not been already cut for the engine. I will be installing a Thunder Tiger 61 2-stroke but I have never mounted a fresh new uncut cowl on a plane before, so would like some advice on how to setup the cowl to be cut, how to make sure it will fit the engine, and be able to be removed if needed, and what should I use to cut the cowl?etc...
    Thanks!

ORIGINAL: crash1ace

This will my very first time installing a cowl, thats not been already cut for the engine. I will be installing a Thunder Tiger 61 2-stroke but I have never mounted a fresh new uncut cowl on a plane before, so would like some advice on how to setup the cowl to be cut, how to make sure it will fit the engine, and be able to be removed if needed, and what should I use to cut the cowl?etc...
    Thanks!
    I looked at the manual on the GP website and I can see why you are confused. The instructions are terrible! That is suprising from Great Planes.

My favorite method for mounting a cowl such as this one is to get the engine completely installed and ready to go. Use a piece of printer paper and cut out a shape that fits around the engine perfectly. It takes some trial and error to do this but it is worth the time. Tape the piece of paper down to the fuselage while it is still positioned on the motor. Now flip it back out of the way but still leave it stuck to the fuselage. Remove the motor and slide the cowling into a rough position on the fuselage. Now flip the piece of paper back over and use a dry erase marker to trace a outline of the motor on the cowling. Remove the cowling and use a dremel cut off wheel to do a rough cutout of the lines you drew. Make sure to cut INSIDE of your drawn lines! Now reinstall the engine and trial fit the cowl. Use a sanding wheel on the dremel to slowly trim away area where the motor hits the cowling. Again this is a trial and error process that takes some time but it is something I like to spend alot of time to get right. I can't stand a cowl to not fit right. Take your time and be patient and you will be happy wth the outcome.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

ORIGINAL: crash1ace

Thanks!
    I looked at the manual on the GP website and I can see why you are confused. The instructions are terrible! That is suprising from Great Planes.

My favorite method for mounting a cowl such as this one is to get the engine completely installed and ready to go. Use a piece of printer paper and cut out a shape that fits around the engine perfectly. It takes some trial and error to do this but it is worth the time. Tape the piece of paper down to the fuselage while it is still positioned on the motor. Now flip it back out of the way but still leave it stuck to the fuselage. Remove the motor and slide the cowling into a rough position on the fuselage. Now flip the piece of paper back over and use a dry erase marker to trace a outline of the motor on the cowling. Remove the cowling and use a dremel cut off wheel to do a rough cutout of the lines you drew. Make sure to cut INSIDE of your drawn lines! Now reinstall the engine and trial fit the cowl. Use a sanding wheel on the dremel to slowly trim away area where the motor hits the cowling. Again this is a trial and error process that takes some time but it is something I like to spend alot of time to get right. I can't stand a cowl to not fit right. Take your time and be patient and you will be happy wth the outcome.

TruBlu, good write up. A couple of refinments. First, I use manila folder stock for the template. Second, I cut the template so that the front of the template is just touching the back of the spinner. This allows me to position the cowling at the proper position when I trace the engine cut out on the cowling without the engine installed. And like you say, take your time and be patient. It takes me two to three hours to properly fit a cowl.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What the largest prop you can run and still have good ground clearance 1 1/2" or so.
    Want to get all my parts together for my build.

Thanks Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey whats up guys. im ready to maiden mine. set up with a saito 72 .. ill be swingin a 13x6 xoar. im balanced out 4.5 inches back with the battery and RX behind the fuel system.

did you guys follow the recommended rates? any weird takeoff tenancies? how does it trim out? how does it fly inverted with the dihedral?

any one using flaperons..? how's the landing speed and run out ? i know someone mentioned some radar clocked speeds.. but i just want to confirm.

might fly early tomorrow morning after i get the throws and expo programmed.

ORIGINAL: landeck

TruBlu, good write up. A couple of refinments. First, I use manila folder stock for the template. Second, I cut the template so that the front of the template is just touching the back of the spinner. This allows me to position the cowling at the proper position when I trace the engine cut out on the cowling without the engine installed. And like you say, take your time and be patient. It takes me two to three hours to properly fit a cowl.

Bruce
    Bruce,

I like the idea of using the folder paper. I have a huge stack of card stock paper that is alot stiffer than printer paper. Not sure why I never thugh to use it! [&:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey ckrochmal, The flight tendicies are very pridictable.It flies very slow with out problems,just keep the nose down and add one or two notches of power when coming in for a landing.It looked like a glider coming in.I coudn't believe how slow it flies.Iike i said in my last post i balanced mine alittle nose heavy,which worked like a champ.On my maiden i added alittle up trim before take off to counter the heavy nose but it turned out i didnt need it.On take off it had a 30 degrees upangled so i had to add about 5-6 notches of down to keep her straight.I did change one thing recently,i added steel wing bolts instead of nylon becuase i pull alot of g's doing tricks and nylon will probleby pull out on a high g vertical pull.Also i did notuse there throws i just used my own.I have it set on high todo turn arounds n about 3 feet.Its great!I
    this is my new favorite plane now,i'm sure my other babies are getting jealous.Let us know how it flies and dont for get to check my youtube videos out.....search Darylk79 at youtube to see my flight vids.thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info on cutting a cowl out. I will see what I come up with. What scares me is that Id rather not cut off those side pieces from the fuse first before setting up to position the cowl and engine. Is there a way to mod the cowl first,then if Im satisified the engine to at least fit thru the holes before I cut off those panels?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

maiden went pretty good. 6 takeoffs .. 6 landings.

i think the escapade flies pretty nice. i worked it as hard as i could for being a little rusty, and i'm pleased.

i think i found my relaxed flyer.

seems unstable during inverted flight. could this be the dihedral?

hates outside loops... attempted 2 of them with aborts. i blame this on the dihedral too.

plane loves flaperons. i get no nose down tendencies .. and it just floats for ever on landings. i programed 35% flaperons for my full and i used less than half. too much lift!

as far as the saito 72.. it pulls it safely, but i want more.

i forgot how much of a mess glow makes. i think im going to convert to gas.

anyway... cool plane for the dollar.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, many thanks to gmeyer for the idea of using stiff tubing to guide the rods of the tail fin into the holes....GP should give you credit and include the idea in the manual...Thanks, WC

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast