ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Waco?

Old 03-03-2014, 04:15 PM
chopper man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just about 4 weeks have gone by after finishing my Waco. Yesterday was the day. 1st takeoff not to bad only to have to dead stick it in after about 30 seconds n the air. Surprisingly needed a lot of up trim. Did some fine tuning of the O.S. 1.20 engine which by he way is way over powered. 2nd takeoff and about 30 seconds later dead stick. More nose up trim. Not really feeling good about this whole thing. Changed out the plug to a hotter plug. Could tell the difference immediately. 3rd times a charm, so they say. It was indeed. Engine ran great. More up trim and a little right aileron and it was good to go. Probably take some time getting use to it but it seemed to be difficult to slow down on approach. It sure does look good in the air.

Gene
Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is all the up trim normal for this airframe, or is she possibly nose heavy?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:37 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by sj3cub View Post
Is all the up trim normal for this airframe, or is she possibly nose heavy?

Nose heavy. Mine flys like a dream.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:12 AM
chopper man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's what surprised me. When I checked the CG it was very slightly nose heavy, so I expected a little of trim but not as much as I had to put in. Oh well, it flys great and most importantly it came home with no scratches
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 AM
althepal88
My Feedback: (30)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine, too, has just a tad bit of being nose heavy...............but, right now, I prefer her that way. I have a little up elevator for compensation and I always use the rudder for my turns, anyway (I'm a Cub guy). Landings....................stay a little above idle till the mains touch, then kill the throttle. I have tried to float it in and always get the proverbial "stearman bounce". I'll move some weight to the rear, someday. I could add lead; change my expos; but, I just don't want to change a thing right now, she flies so great!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:27 AM
codedlanguage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BTW ... talking about nose heavy issues ... is there anyone using NGH 38cc 4 stroke engine on GP Waco ?
On my Stearman I find its quite useful to have it on the nose heavy side ... i helps me a lot during the flight and on landings.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 AM
althepal88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The NGH 38cc would be a bit much, to me. I have a stock Zen G23 and it balances just a little to the nose. You will be moving weight to the rear, or adding, to balance. I'd still like to know how the NGH motor works out, as I have another project in mind for one.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:49 AM
LOCKTUMBLER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got myself one of these, about to go through the kit contents and check its all there and if I've got the short UC to fusalage fairings (hope not). I've got a selection of engines on the bench; DLE30/35RA petrol and ASP/SC 120 or 180 four stroke. I'd prefer the sound of the 4st but its always windy here in the NW of the UK so I propose fitting the ASP/SC 180 (same hight/mounting dimentions etc) for a bit more 'punch'. Anybody know of the 180 being used. Or, has anybody uprated their 120 installation to a 180.
TIA
Old 03-26-2014, 07:17 AM
althepal88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe that you will like the 180 the most.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:48 AM
Hcdunson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trying to set up my my throttle rod to the G26. Do you have a pic of your setup?

Last edited by Hcdunson; 07-19-2014 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-25-2014, 06:56 PM
rcjunky67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well hey y'all, just thought I might as well chime in with my 1.58 cents,,, I picked up this arf in perry georgia at the big swap meet they have in march every year. love it so much ,its still sitting in the box waiting on me. I got her about 2 years ago and about the same time picked up a new saito fa-150 . I am curious if anyone oon this forum has tried this engine on this plane , and if so what size prop they had used and whether or not it seemed to be to much for this bird??? thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:48 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that motor is fine, likely swinging a 16-17 inch prop, stay with a 6 or 7 inch pitch for thrust and torque.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:56 PM
rcjunky67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey thanks wing...'m wanting to mount the engine inverted and was just wandering if there's anything to pay particularly close attention to, besides the normal stuff. I have an older O.S. fs91 4stk that I had inverted in an extra 330 and had no issues. but as this is my first saito 4stk, I was just curious. thanks again...
Old 09-18-2014, 05:17 PM
rcjunky67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what??? is there something on my teeth?bat in the cave?what? where'd everybody go. gee's , i ask one stupid question and
Old 09-18-2014, 06:11 PM
cannonball200
My Feedback: (36)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by rcjunky67 View Post
what??? is there something on my teeth?bat in the cave?what? where'd everybody go. gee's , i ask one stupid question and
Robert, There was a lot more commenting when the Waco arf first came out for sale. Then it sort of died off. I still have mine and it is still in new condition with only about 15 flights. I haven't flown it in about a year and a half. Guess I need to get it down from the ceiling and get it up... I have the DLE 20 in mine, but the Saito 150 would be great in it too. My Saito's 150's, 180's ect have always ran good inverted.
Back earlier in this thread I had posted lots of pictures. The Waco flies awesome and is a floater on final. A joy to fly is all I can say plus looks good also.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 PM
cannonball200

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Smile

Cannonball200 Waco arf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2033358  
Old 09-19-2014, 06:45 AM
oppie
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's been a while since I have posted here. I was one of the very first to get the GP Waco when it first came out and one of the first decisions I had to make was what power to use. No one was sure and a friend had the GP Hawk P E 6 and he used a Satio 150. Because the Waco was based on the same size as the Hawk and I wanted to but it on floats I felt safe in choosing a DLE 30. Well yes it is "over powered" for normal flight off grass it has been real good off the heavy floats. I haven't checked the weight with floats yet I can tell you it is heavy! I go to three "float fly"events a year and it is always a real hit. My Waco loves flying off water an I'm happy that I used the DLE 30 but I think a 20 would probably have been fine but because I was one of the early users I thought I would err on the bigger size. One more thing I didn't need to add any nose weight and it balanced just fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	2033457   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	2033458  
Old 09-19-2014, 10:03 AM
althepal88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used a bellcrank mounted on the G23 with a rod to the carb. Sorry for being late.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:06 AM
althepal88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by rcjunky67 View Post
hey thanks wing...'m wanting to mount the engine inverted and was just wandering if there's anything to pay particularly close attention to, besides the normal stuff. I have an older O.S. fs91 4stk that I had inverted in an extra 330 and had no issues. but as this is my first saito 4stk, I was just curious. thanks again...
I believe you'll be just fine inverted. A remote glow will make things more comfortable. There is a lot of room up front if you wanted to mount it vertically, like the earlier Pica Waco's were set up.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:56 PM
rcjunky67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

oh I know ,But I'm gonna have to make some holes for the valve covers I think and would rather they be on the bottom.thanks for all your reply's though guys. I've had this thing for three years now and it's still packed in it's box. had to give the hobby a break for a couple of years and am just getting back up and running. sometimes life just gets in the way. but, a man has to honor his priorities. and family always will come first.

the big 150 is a 25cc engine and from what I've read , it ought to put me about midway. thanks again. I just hate to see a thread die off , especially when it's about one of my favorite planes.

You know? I've not even took the time to unpack this plane to see if the landing gear fairings are the correct length yet, do any of you suppose GP would still do anything for me top correct the issue if their the wrong ones?
Old 09-21-2014, 06:26 AM
cannonball200

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would bet GP would correct the wrong fairings etc if that is what you got. They are good about that, but do not know about the time frame. Look at it and if need be, call and ask...
Thanks,
Old 09-21-2014, 06:49 AM
althepal88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GP still puts out the Waco. If you got it from Tower, they'll take care of you. However, mine came out of the box perfect and they have been through a lot.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 AM
rcjunky67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I picked mine up at the giant swap meet that they have in Perry GA every march. So, though it was brand new, it was still bought second hand. I've had the box open, of course, to ooh and ahh, but as of yet haven't unpacked any thing . everything is still bagged and taped.So, I wasn't looking for a warranty claim , so to speak. Just was curious if they would take care of it if the parts were wrong.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:57 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is the problem with the fairing is that they are too short?
I have one of these beauties NIB and mine don't fit
Thanks,
Old 09-22-2014, 04:11 PM
althepal88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just open the box and check your parts. If something is wrong, call GP customer service at the phone number in the instruction. They will work with you, I'm sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service