Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Waco?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Waco?

Old 02-26-2017, 12:24 AM
erans

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am reasonably confident that K&S has suitable stainless steel strip to make your own. I will suggest to use stainless steel over using brass.
I had similar experience to yours, and had to replace all my braces. I was lucky to have a friend manufacturing them for me from thicker stainless steel (he works in the laser cutting industry). Once replaced, I didn't snapped another one for over 150 flights, pulling consistent high G's...

Eran
Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anybody flying the Waco with the Saito FG21 four stroke gas? Is the power adequate for basic aerobatics? Would the FG30 be too much engine for the plane? Any comments would be appreciated.

Chuck
Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I have the FG 36 in mine, the 20 would be MUCH TOO SMALL.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:47 PM
erans

I had the FG20 in my WACO (the predecessor to the FG 21) and it flew very scale, capable of all basic aerobatics.

Eran
Old 03-29-2017, 03:54 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

There's a reason why Saito doesn't sell many of those motors. Most hobby shops don't stock them because it's nothing but trouble.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 PM
erans

Originally Posted by R/C Foolish
There's a reason why Saito doesn't sell many of those motors. Most hobby shops don't stock them because it's nothing but trouble.

The quoted statement is irrelevant to Chuck's question above... I found the FG 20 to be only troubles myself, and this was the reason I got rid of it.
Adding to my previous answer, the FG 30 won't be too much power for this aeroplane, I flew it with a 2 stroke MVVS 30cc and all was fine, and very powerful, allowing the aeroplane to perform non-scale, crazy maneuvers. The FG 30 do not have this level of power.

Eran
Old 03-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Catalinaflyer

I fly mine with an OS 33 and it's got excessive power. The nice thing about a "draggy" bipe is that even when over-powered they can slow down to land which is not the case with very slick planes. It has power on tap in case I want to try something like I do with my bigger Yak's however pulling back on the throttle yields scale like flying.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:26 PM
PedroM

Default Construction advises

Hey Guys

I recently got a GP Waco and will start assembling it soon.
I was reading the forum since the first message in 2010. A lot of good information.
I was initially planning to go with a DLE30 but you don;t find it around anymore so, I was considering the DLE35 but I was really concerned of overpowering it a lot.
After reading this forum, I'm convinced that the best option is the DLE20!
I would like to ask a couple of questions:
. Is it OK to use the motorn mount that comes with the kit for the DLE20?
. What tank size you are using with the DLE20? I think the tank that comes with the kit is 20 or 24oz, which I think is way too large for this engine.

Thanks!

Last edited by PedroM; 06-04-2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 06-04-2019, 03:27 PM
erans

PedroM - The DLE 20 will be OK for the WACO, it will fly at more representative "scale" speed then a DLE 30. I was using the SAITO FG-20 and it was flying great and that engine is nowhere near as powerful as the DLE 20.
I cannot remember what mount is supplied with the engine (and I have three of them...), but I was using the Great Planes GP 60-120 engine mount on couple of my aeroplanes. I have attached photos of one of the engines I just received from a friend on this mount, and a photo of inverted installation in my Balsa USA Stingray 120.
As to the fuel tank size, while I cannot remember what I was using, I think they are more like 16oz.

Cheers,
Eran

Old 06-04-2019, 08:31 PM
PedroM

Thanks Eran
Sure it helps!
Its also nice to have such a quick response after two years from the last post in this forum!
I learned a lot of good information going trough the messages from the begging.
I will post my updated here.
Would be happy to maybe see this forum picking up again!
Cheers
Old 06-04-2019, 09:32 PM
erans

PedroM - It is a good idea to keep posts on the same subject within the same thread. I personally much prefer it when I am searching a subject, as all the information is in the same place.
Enjoy your build,

Cheers,
Eran
Old 06-08-2019, 10:51 AM
PedroM

Hello

I have another question.

I saw here that many of you had problems with the aluminium brackets that broke over time.

In the upper wing, after assembling it, there will be no access to change the brackets if I'm understanding the manual correctly.

How do you manage to change the brackets of the upper wing after it is assembled?

I prepared a picture to show what I'm talking about but I can only add photos after 10 posts...

Thank you!
Old 06-08-2019, 01:44 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Broken bracket

The only problem I had with my Waco was the N struts cracked over time, not the aluminum but rather the fiberglass cover over the aluminum. It cracked lengthwise and flaked off but the aluminum was still holding the wing in place. Towel replaced them as soon as I contacted them.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:12 PM
erans

PedroM - Same for me, the only ones that I had problem with were the ones for the N struts. I was always worried about "what if" regarding the brackets without replacement access. but so far they hold up.
I was lucky to have a friend who worked with the laser cutting industry and he got me a full replacement set made out of stainless steel.
if you have the capability to substituted the Aluminium brackets with stainless steel brackets, I suggest you to have them replaced.

Cheers,
Eran
Old 06-09-2019, 11:20 AM
PedroM

KaP2011 and Erans, thank you for your comments. It gives me peace of mind in this case.

Erans, regarding building new ones of stainless steel, its a good suggestion but my tools are limited and. In fact, I build my airmodels on my dinning table.
But I will look with the hobby shops I have around here in Dubai. Maybe they can help on this! To replace at least the ones that there is no access to change if required.

Cheers!