Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Difficult Arfs!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Difficult Arfs!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Difficult Arfs!

First off, build what "YOU" like to build! If "YOU" think that a glassed fuse is harder to work with over a wooden kit fuse, so be it! Many of us disagree!

Secondly, it's best that everyone leave the ARF people alone! ARF's are what's keeping our hobby together today. The hobby is already in decline. Start chasing the ARF folks off and they'll choose another hobby, and then ours will be in dire straits! They are here to stay, so just deal with it. If you like to build, then build. But, don't knock the guy who chooses to "assemble". Oh, if it doesn't say ARF or ARC on the side of the box, it's more than likely a kit.

For those of you who simply can't stand it, you hardcore kit builders, start your own club. Start a club for nothing but kit planes, no ARF's. See how much fun that ends up being, or how successful that club ends up.

I, for one, own both. I'd bet a months worth of wages that if ARF's were to go away tomorrow, our hobby would die.

People kill me! It's best we all start thinking about what we want to convey before we say/text/type it.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: Joespeeder
I've decide to do a new stick build. I've got lots of time to decide what it'll be since I just ordered the parts from here.

http://www.amazon.com/Balsa-Wood-Tre...ata/B000UZF19U

I should have a nice plane in about a decade or two.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, your a bundle of fun arn't you, I'm glad the Atlantic is between me and you!

m
Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

G-Pete,

The version I quote is "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." I suspect your version is the origin!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
tfarmer96

ORIGINAL: David010567

Just put a da 85 on it
Nice tag line David i agree!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Whistling Death

NCIS I didn't know you were a stick builder snob type.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

according to Dictionary.com

BUILD : To constuct by assembling and joining parts or materials.

ASSEMBLE: To put or fit together; put together the parts of.

Ya'll have fun.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
tfarmer96

ORIGINAL: NCIS

I don't agree with the use of build when it comes to finishing a really complicated ARF. I think they should refer to it instead of Build to Completetion instead. Build in my opinion starts out with wood and thats all. Cut it make it and build it. Now thats a true build not a complicated Completion of an ARF or a kit witrh a fiberglass fuse no matter how much work it may be. Am I wrong or on the right track? I think modelers that are completeing ARFS should get they due share of recognition but they didtn't really build the complete plane. I think this also goes for those that buy a fiberglass fuse and just build the rest. They are Completing it but not building from the very beginning where mistakes and planning are needed. Their wing and stab incidence is already dialed in for them on glass fuses and ARFS. This is just an example. I hope I haven't started a WAR!!!

JMHO,

Barry
So i guess what you are pointing out is people should take credit for others work by using the term build…?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
pryor808
My Feedback: (1)

An ARF is assembly. A kit is buiding. A scratch built is inginuity. Excuse my spelling!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

WHERE IS THE MODERATOR!!!!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:45 PM
jmohn

Have you checked the wing incidence of many ARFs?

I just finished checking a few of mine as they needed a lot of down trim on the elevator to fly well and found most had 5-6 degrees!

Way more than most planes I have built in the past.

Oh and ironing on monocoat to a balsa plane is much easier than glassing

Jeff
Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

NCIS, does it really matter? I started out 20 years ago with a GP trainer I bought from a friend that introduced me to the hobby. I have flown ARF's ever since until now. I am building a model from scratch. A plane that there are no plans for. So I drew my own using a vector drawing program. I am having the parts laser cut, does that make me a builder? I'm sure if it flies I will be considered a builder, if it doesn't, what am I?. My point is who cares! lets just have fun enjoying the hobby. By the rules of course.

Bob
Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

I don't care what the guy next to me is flying, nor am I concerned with his opinion of what I'm flying. I'm just happy to be out flying and have Friends to fellowship with.

Nothing else matters. I don't live to your standards I don't expect you to live to mine.

Tim
Old 01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Oh jeez, Here we go again.

( Hasn't this been beat to death on "you can win a scale comp with an Arf! Really?" just a WEEK ago!? )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59869.gif
Views:	13
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	1542905  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
DanMN

I fly alot of ARF's. I have 3 kids and a full time job and many other things that keep me from spending time on my workbench. I LIKE TO FLY. I didn't realize I was being looked down upon for not spending 5 months with a plane on the board. WHO THE HECK CARES WHAT ANYBODY THINKS!!!! This hobby is for all types, flyers, builders, designers, etc. We have people in our club that just build and don't fly, but they like coming to the field to watch. Why someone would care what I spend my money and time on is beyond me. Oh yeah, or the type of model I own and fly.....
Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM
jmohn

I am in the same boat...kids, busy at work and coaching after work. No time for building unless I don't want to fly much and I love flying more than building so ARFs have kept me in the air and out of the shop.

I now have a friend that's short on work that is helping build some stuff and I can help him by paying for his time to build them. Helps us both

Jeff
Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
at101

fly what you want
maybe the winter is making us all irritable
Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 PM
RJStrickJR
My Feedback: (97)

Ihave built (put togather) 22 airplanes this past year. 2 of them being stick kits and the others ARF'S. All I can say is I have had a blast and it is my first year in the hobby. I am now putting to gather ARF'S for other guys in my flying club here in NC for a little extra cash. I also get to madden and trim the planes that I build (put to gather). I have it down to about 4-6 hours for assembly and electronics installed. I have assembled planes from 40 size to 50CC gassers. Did I mentioin I have had a blast this past year. I soloed after 2 weeks on the trainer and a year later I can make my Super Stearman 3D. I have had a blast this past year and cant wait to try new stuff this year. I had no idea that having all this fun was legal.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 PM
DanMN

Jeff, that's cool that you can help someone out financially and you get a nice plane out of it. Like I said, there are all types of people in this hobby. That's what makes it great! Who cares what you fly, just fly!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:07 PM
DanMN

at101, what are you talking about, winter making people irritable. That's ridiculous! Where did you come up with that stupid idea!? Just kidding I am ready for summer! Bring it on!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
LDM

I dont agree with the term "implants " I consider them nice enhancments
While the true builder calls them Jugs , or P47s , when looking at the P47s , if done correctly , we dont care if they are arfs or home builds , as long as we can all enjoy them !!!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
FILE IFR

It's mind-numbing thread starts like this one that later grooms you to post along with the chatty winners in the AMA Discussion forums here.

RC modeler purist or not, the terms Building or Assembly are in the first chapter of the book 'Who Cares?'

... enjoy the hobby, whether you build it or assemble it.[8D]
Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 PM
LDM

come on Mike , i used my best comidy with double meaning and I get nothing , not even a laught !!! where is the love man
Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
FILE IFR

I did laff!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
LDM

there ya go , if you dont laught we give credance to the rediculous oregin of this thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.