Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

I have them set at 100% travel.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM
gjhinshaw

This is what they have sent me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54440.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1818634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98564.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1818635  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 PM
indycustombikes
My Feedback: (11)

No Disrespect, But i got Nothing from that at all................

Anybody else have a useable C of G and measurement of the throws for the 30cc GeeBee?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:12 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok I got a ton of flights. My CG is 123mm from the front of the wing where the wheel paints are on 30cc plane with BME50

I measure it upside down with no fuel or smoke.

Make sure your wheel pants are straight and you lots of rudder.

She flys like a big 540Edge. Just a little heavy and slower on the rolles
Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 AM
indycustombikes

excellent thank you...... I will stick with the 108mm then and it will be slightly nose heavy....
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 AM
mikes68charger

No 133cm is normal mine is already nose heavy
Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 PM
indycustombikes

Heres an update on the maiden flight, I got a chance today and the winds were calm, so off to the field I went............

Plane flew straight and had plenty of power, no crabbing without wind... turned great and flew better than I expected - no drama.
could use a little more nose weight as I had to givesome down elev. to get her to land, otherwise perfect.....

second flight same as the first and slicked the landing perfectly........... loving this plane...

Third flight went very well and a few fast and low fly by's really showed this plane off!

NOWTHEBADPART - came in for a landing just as the first two flights, and when she touched the left landing gear just folded back inside the wheel pants and she flipped over........

I am now going to have to get in line for a new cowl, canopy, and landing gear. of course the cowl was damaged in the box so no major loss there.... I had the wheel pants full of expanding foam to strengthen and that still did not helpon the grass runway, next time I will fiberglass the inside.

Iassume that since I bought this kit from a guy and not direct from GMP my chances of getting replacement parts are slim right? Whoknows maybe after an email...........
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM
mikes68charger

I'm sorry for ya.

I guess I should of said something about adding the 4-40 pull pull cable

Add your own hard blocks on the man wing spar. Use some small brass stock to make mounting points
Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 PM
gjhinshaw

DUDE, THATISGREAT.....THANITSUCKS!!!
Send me a email so that I can see what I have! I know NO wheel pants or Cowl, But Maybe a Canopy.

ORIGINAL: indycustombikes

Heres an update on the maiden flight, I got a chance today and the winds were calm, so off to the field I went............

Plane flew straight and had plenty of power, no crabbing without wind... turned great and flew better than I expected - no drama.
could use a little more nose weight as I had to givesome down elev. to get her to land, otherwise perfect.....

second flight same as the first and slicked the landing perfectly........... loving this plane...

Third flight went very well and a few fast and low fly by's really showed this plane off!

NOWTHEBADPART - came in for a landing just as the first two flights, and when she touched the left landing gear just folded back inside the wheel pants and she flipped over........

I am now going to have to get in line for a new cowl, canopy, and landing gear. of course the cowl was damaged in the box so no major loss there.... I had the wheel pants full of expanding foam to strengthen and that still did not helpon the grass runway, next time I will fiberglass the inside.

Iassume that since I bought this kit from a guy and not direct from GMP my chances of getting replacement parts are slim right? Whoknows maybe after an email...........
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 AM
indycustombikes

Email sent..... Here is what I need -

cowl
canopy
wheel pants
carbon wing tube
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM
pb4

Hi guys, I just finally received my R3 ! Build is ongoing

rudder ? It has 30 degrees max deflection, should I modify it to get the 45 degrees that we see in every manual or is 30 degrees enough ? (I'd like to avoid having to butcher through the leading edge..)

Landing gear... yeah here we go, I was thinking to invert the legs, put the right on the left and vice versa, reason being is I will not use the wires but instead put a 5mm rod between the leg and bottom fuselage, inverting the legs would enable me to fix on the inside rod closer to the wheel, I don't see why this could be a problem given that the gear loads are transferred through the horizontal bar to the wing, the vertical bit sticking through the wing should not see any loads really.. thoughts ?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 AM
europatc74
My Feedback: (6)

I just drilled holes into the wheel pant where the two wires are welded together. Run pull-pull wire to out side wing tip where there is already a wire connector. You will need to reenforce the wing inside next to the fuse to connect the inside wire. Then attact the inside wire there. Now you have tension holding the wheel pant laterally. Running a wire to the fuse is a pain. That's why if opted to put both wires on the wing. Of course nothing is going to help a hard landing. You need to fly this bird in.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

I thought I might try something a bit different so I installed retracts in my GB 30. Not complete yet but will keep everyone posted on progress. I was working on the Gee Bee 30 last night and one thing lead to the other and the next thing you know I have a wing laid open looking at the possibilities of retracts.I have the first one installed and it was really simple.

I used the original wing blocks to remount the gear position. The first one took me about 5 hours to figure out but once I decided on the right position it was simple. I was able to use some De-activator to remove the epoxy from the original gear blocks and they came right out. After close inspection of the blocks and the way GMP mounted and designed their landing gear system

I can tell you it doesn't get any better. Very solid built and one of the best I have seen,I am using the Robart main strut and a set of 60 size Wingspan electric Retracts. More than enough power and strength for the job.The retract is angled because of the cantor of the Robart strut. The original Gee Bee wheel pant is 12 ½ inches from tire to wing. This setup is 11. About half a tire diameter.I made a mockup in photoshop to see the complete look in flight. I should have these done in a few days and will post more pictures and the video of the flight.

Name:	Ay73706.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1851158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76854.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1851159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21948.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1851160  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
hrrcflyer

Hey Condor060,

Long time no see, my friend. I love the looks of the retracts in your Gee Bee. They really clean up the looks of the plane, especially in the air....... I wonder how much faster the plane flies without all of that drag. Have you had a chance to finish your 50cc Gee Bee?

David
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Condor060

It has been a while brother. I did finish the 50cc Gee Bee and it flew great with the DA 85. I took the liberty of setting the CG a little further back for acrobatic playfulness and destroyed the plane. My fault completely.

It flew fine and I wanted to put her into an inverted flat spin and do some hovering just for the fun of it. I had a huge amount of altitude and put her in the inverted flat spin but with the aft CG it wouldn't recover. I had around 40-45 seconds of different control inputs but nothing would save her. It was a stupid idea on my part and not that of the airframe.Anyway, lessons learned.

I can tell you she was a beast with the DA 85. Unlimited vertical and would howl like a love struck coyote on low passes. I am still pissed at myself for augering her in like that. There was no power or flight control setting I didn't try as I had plenty of time. It was spinning so fast that at one point I thought it might gain altitude LoL.I even thought about shutting down the engine and catching it. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!I did the same maneuver with the 30CC with the proper CG setting and she recovered just fine.

This time I am going to use the new DLE 55 RA. I really like this motor and have it on several aircraft. Most reliable engine I have used in years and at half the money. I just finished the new giant scale Top Flite FW 190 with the DLE 55 RA and have been flying it with a buddy of mine and his CMP Zero. She is running 118 MPH on low passes with this motor. I can't wait to see the 30cc Gee Bee with this setup. The Zero has the same motor.Heres a video of the 190 1/5 scale and the DLE 55 RA. Love this setup Make sure you select HD and full screen as this was shot from a Canon camera and not a video camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3E3RE6gYi4
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
hrrcflyer

OUCH ! ! ! ! I hate it when that happens..........................[:@] I hope you didn't hurt your DA too badly. A friend of mine is also building the T/F FW190. From what I've seen and herd, it's a fantastic flying plane.

Take care,

David
Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Condor060

I worked a little longer on the retract system for the Gee Bee tonight and have the gear mounted and working. Here a video of what is completed so far.

www.youtube.com/watch

Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 PM
pb4

wow, very nice job, I always had in mind to put retracts on mine one day (50cc).
Aren't the wheels a bit too far back ? It seem to be very close to the CG, increasing risks of nose over..
What retracts are they ? (ref) I thought retracts for FW-190 might be adequate, they are quite forward mounted on the wings and fairly long as well..
can't wait to see it in action.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Condor060

Yeah, the wheels are a little farther back than I would like but still ahead of the cg point. It does pose a little concern. I might have to rethink this a little if its a problem.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM
pb4

If the wheel axis was in line with the leg it'll probably be alright.. a different retract leg maybe.. but with your setup that might put the wheel in the leading edge.. ah well a bit more balsa carving
I guess you'll get the feeling very quickly once you put the wings on the fuselage..
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Condor060

I even thought of spinning the leg around to put the gear more forward. I am also looking of tilting the mounting bracket to get more forward lean on the gear. Its gonna be close either way. Still have a bit more work to figure out but I think I can make it work with a little more effort.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM
pb4

yeah I wouldn't swap it forward, it'll be unstable, the wheel would go either left or right, even if it doesn't break straight away, it will with time.. you need the gear leg to touch ground before the wheel contact point (when you imaginarily extend the leg to the ground), if that makes sense.
Tilting the leg forward by adding some thickness in the back support bracket should work though..
Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 AM
pb4

by the way, what was deadly CG, and what was it before that ?
Mine is 13 cm from leading edge and it flies good so far..
Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Condor060

I don't remember. It was about 6 months ago. We had set it up like you would most aircraft you intend to hover. Slightly tail heavy. We were using a DA 85 and wanted to get some video hovering the GB. She flew OK and hovered very nice but the inverted flat spin was the call of death.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Condor060

After some conversation I decided to change the retract mounts to get the wheel in front of the leading edge of the wing. Left wing is done except for the covering. I am really starting to like this look. I like it better in the air with the gear up.

Name:	Ge95730.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1851856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62554.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1851857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38890.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1851858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35237.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1851859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53301.jpg
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1851860  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.