Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

SEAGULL Decathlon - 75

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SEAGULL Decathlon - 75

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:40 AM
spacerockman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEAGULL Decathlon - 75

Looking to build a high wing solid pattern plane for a Supre tiger 60 with pitt muffler set up. Thought this would be a good choice. I have a number of low/mid wing aerobatic planes already. Any thoughts on my selection?

Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: SEAGULL Decathlon - 75

I have flow both the smaller and larger Decathlons for seagul and I loved them both!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=415

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1152
Old 02-28-2011, 04:31 AM
raven76

I use to have the 75 Decathlon nice plane and nice to fly.The only thing i found with it if there a lot of thermals or it windy with the big area of the wingsmade it a bit of a handfull. If you just flying around. If you got the power on andchucking it about it was fine.If you fly of grass dont put the spats on. the are big for the plane.I found out the hard way as one spat dug in and nosed over cracking the fin.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: spacerockman

Looking to build a high wing solid pattern plane for a Supre tiger 60 with pitt muffler set up. Thought this would be a good choice. I have a number of low/mid wing aerobatic planes already. Any thoughts on my selection?

I think Decathlons are a blast to fly. Any size. They're a pilot's plane for sure. That said, thinking maybe not so good for pattern. You might want a lot better wind penetration for starters (as mentioned already), and a longer fuse to provide better directional stbility. One of the reasons a Decathlon is so fun is because it's so short coupled (like a Pitts). A clipped wing Cub might be a better choice because of it's longer fuse (?) , but is likely still lacking in penetration.

I've been thinking about a knock around version of something like what you're describing as well, but larger. Set up for 20-30 cc gas. I had one in mind from quite a while back, posted in another section here regarding it because I couldn't remember what it was called, and somebody figured out what I was talking about. It was called an Acro Trainer. Here's the only pic I could find. It's an oldie I'd love to build, almost did a while back, but it's long gone, no longer available. An example of something like what you're talking about? Pic is of the 60 size. Thinking it came in a .20 and .90 size as well?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ec89079.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1571348  
Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 PM
frivera12

Can the 75 Seagull Decathlon handle a 20cc engine???
Old 02-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Do it. Looks awesome, flies great, and you get a LOT of bang for your buck with Seagull/Phoenix airframes.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 PM
raven76

I wouldnt put a 20cc gas in the 75, go for the bigger one and put in 26 gas. I only sold mine as i moved to gas.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put a 20cc in the big one and it flew it well. It would be too much for the small one
Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 AM
playntraffic

Good fun plane, but not a pattern plane. More of a limited aerobatic plane. I have had a pain getting mine setup to point roll and knife edge. The coupling is horrid. That being said, I still love the plane for "joy" flying. Saito 82 is just about right and I have considered a DLE20.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Seagull(74in. version) with a CRRC26 on it. Using a Hawk 18x6 from SERCE. It isn't a pattern plane but will do reasonable aerobatics. The engine fit in the cowl with only the carb stack out the side and of course the opening on the bottom for the head and air. The Pitts-style muffler sold by VVRC with the CRRC26 will fit with slight notches cut out in the firewall for the tailpipes. The tailpipes only hang down below the firewall about 1/2in. Hardly visible in the air. Even with that engine, I had to put the LIfE battery over the gas tank. You won't be bored with it.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
frivera12

So do you think that a 20 DLE engine is too much for a 75 Decathon??? Is this plane bigger than a Phoenix Decathlon??