Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldwing Su-26m Build

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldwing Su-26m Build

Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 AM
kerwin50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldwing Su-26m Build

Mike mine is the 125/527, that was the one that jody reccomended.
I didn't even know about all those others.
It sure does look confusing.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:10 AM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

Mike mine is the 125/527, that was the one that jody reccomended.
I didn't even know about all those others.
It sure does look confusing.
Kerwin,
Thanks for the info; I think that is the one I purchased yesterday, but I don't have it with me.
I hope to install the filter tonight or tomorrow night, and then fly again on Saturday and/or Sunday.
How is your green machine doing these days? and your thumb?
Regards,
Mike

Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 AM
PSJDBF

Yeah All back together Mike & flying as good as ever thanks.
Cheers Steff.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:47 PM
KORSARIO

Hi All,
Today I went to the club where the person (who owns the website from which I bought the Su26) regularly fly. It was a perfect day, and could enjoy 4 flights of almost 20 min each. Ihad not flown that much ever before. All flights went uneventful. unfortunately did not land any time, I couldn't get familiar with two things: this plane floats a lot, the landing strip is almost half the length of the one I have been flying over a year. Is this common?
Well the Su26m and the engine combination to deliver a really fun plane to fly. Although my flight style is rather conservative, the plane behaves quite stable and allows way more than I intend to do.
Some lessons I can share:
flight behavior: knife flight: really easy and stable. The plane really floates, though it demands speed on landing approach.
wing balancing: very important. I had to add over 50g on the right wingtip to compensate from a notorious excess of weight of left wing.
nose heavy: after reading a lot of tail heavy natural weight distruibution on the Su26, I found myself adding weight to the tail; almost 20g which I think it'sa lot and it's still nose heavy. Keep in mind the chrome spinner had to wait to next balance evaluation.
CG indicated on the booklet: totally discarded, it drives too much weight on the nose. I removed the weights I attached on the nose when balanced the plane.
This isa common observation: bolts get loose, check before flight. I lost one of the bolts on the cowling and almost a second bolt holding the canopy. Exhaust got loose, and I still have to review the remaining elements. Forgot to mention that the fuel cap got lost on one of the flights...
I totally enjoy the engine, It seems to operate as one fine piece of engineering.
Well, here some pics to share,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48551.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	1622568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85087.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	1622569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15500.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	1622570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32286.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	461.5 KB
ID:	1622571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43801.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	1622572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du21507.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	1622573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl93890.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	1622574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nm41232.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	1622575  

Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 AM
mschulz531

David,
Great pictures and good news about your Su-26! I was able to make a second flight of my Su-26 and it went better than the first flight, however, I'm still adjusting the engine; I think it is still too rich. The walbro felt fuel clunk seemed to help, but I think the high speed mixture is still too rich because there is still a "burble". I took a video but have not had time to post it yet. I also think the plane is still nose heavy even with two elevator servos and even after moving the 2600mah Life (A123) battery back to the wing spar location instead of in the engine box.
I hope to have time for some more flights this weekend....thanks again for your pics and good flight report. Your information is very helpful.
Regards,
Mike
Old 06-18-2011, 01:01 PM
mschulz531

I got to fly this morning, it was a beautiful day here in Chicago. I got the engine running much better and had 3 good flights on it. I'm still breaking in the engine, but even after a few flights (today was the 3rd, 4th and 5th flights on this engine) I could tell that it is idling better, and running better in the air.

I also had a fellow club member help me with the control surface alignments; I fine tuned the ailerons and elevators; the rudder was already spot on. The third flight today was the most fun I've had so far - I was finally confident enough in the plane and the engine to start doing some maneuvers - simply loops and rolls for now. The CG is right on target, and with the controls trimmed, it was great fun.

Need to work on landings...the carbon fiber landing gear is pretty bouncy, which helps absorb some of the landing, but it (I) bounced it a little too hard on the third landing and the prop struck the ground...I wondered why the engine died on landing because onthe earlier two flights the engine remained running, and I was pleased with how the engine was idling. Once I got the plane back to the pit area, I noticed that 1/2 of the Xoar 18x8 prop was split.I just finished ordering two new props from VVRC. ouch. So today was a bad day for props but otherwise, a good flying day (finally!)

I took a few videos last Saturday but still haven't had time to post them...look for a follow up report soon.

Cheers,
Mike

p.s. Happy Father's Day (one day early) to all of you fathers out there. This is a bittersweet holiday for me this year because I lost my dad to cancer in April of this year.Spend time with your fathers while you can!

Old 06-18-2011, 01:40 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

mshulz - I'm surprised an 18" prop would strike the ground - these Sukhoi's seem to have pretty high gear (at least on my Carl Goldberg). How much clearance did you have between the 18" prop and the ground?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:55 PM
KORSARIO

i was waiting the whole week to fly during this weekend. unfortunately rain has paid a visit and will cancel all flight operations...
it will have to wait another week.
i add myself to the best wishes to all fathers, specially to those who wish their children could share tis passion for such spectacular hobby!!!
cheers,
david
Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 PM
microdon2

Korsario - I HEAR ya on that one. All my 11 yr old wants to do is play VIDEO GAMES. Yeesh...
Old 06-18-2011, 10:03 PM
PSJDBF

My young fella flew his super chipmunk yesterday & did his first loop now he's out back tinkering with it & his parkzone Spit.
I think he's caught the bug !!.
Good flight report Mike sounds like you have it all sorted, Where did you end up setting your CG ?.
Steff.

Name:	Pn37201.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1624986  
Old 06-20-2011, 04:40 AM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: PSJDBF

My young fella flew his super chipmunk yesterday & did his first loop now he's out back tinkering with it & his parkzone Spit.
I think he's caught the bug !!.
Good flight report Mike sounds like you have it all sorted, Where did you end up setting your CG ?.
Steff.
Steff,
Great to see your "young fella" taking interest in the hobby; I'm still working on mine!
Right now the CG is exactly where the manual calls for it: 4.5inches. I accomplished this by moving the Life battery from the engine box to directly under the wing spar tube. She flies well at this location for now; once break in is done, I might move it back, but for now it flies smoothly here. Might have to adjust once I put on the cowl and spinner, per David's experience.
Looks like rain here all week, but Sat/Sun might be good for flying. Tell your "young fella" congrats on the loop and watch out for "figure 9's"
Peace,
Mike

Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 AM
trimcraftrc
My Feedback: (21)

Last flight, I bounced the landing a bit and broke the prop. I've installed a new prop and also the cowl and spinner. I've got an access hole in the cowl so I can adjust the low and high speed mixture screws with the cowl on. The weather in Chicago was really nice this weekend, and I had the chance to fly my Su-26 again.

She starts up easily, and idles well. I still have a "burble" in the midrange which is annoying; I'm still slowly fiddling with the mixture settings to attempt to resolve this. Small changes are improving the mixture, but what is strange to me is that the burble is very slight on the ground and appears to get worse in the air. It has been suggested to me that the burble is caused by a mismatch between the low and high speed mixture settins - one is leaner or richer than the other and the transition is causing the burble. The prevailing thought is that one of them is still too rich, but if that is the case, why would the sound appear to get worse in the air? I would expect the mixture to lean out a bit in the air, but the opposite seems to be happening? Looking for some insight here...I probably should post this question on the DLE-30 forum thread as well.

Another Su-26 specific question: the landing gear - how can I 'firm up" the landing gear so there is not as much bounce? I seem to remember someone added some sort of wire or something across the legs of the gear...how did that work? Other than purchasing carbon fiber gear (which I can't afford right now), what other ideas/techniques have you used to stiffen up the gear on this or other planes?

Hope everyone else is having good flying weather and good flights.

Peace,
Mike
Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 AM
mschulz531

I posted the previous post under a different RCU login, but rest assured it is still me.
-Mike
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 AM
mschulz531

David,
How was the weather last week? Any good flying weather?
If not, I hope you get nicer weather this week.
Regards,
Mike

ORIGINAL: KORSARIO

i was waiting the whole week to fly during this weekend. unfortunately rain has paid a visit and will cancel all flight operations...
it will have to wait another week.
i add myself to the best wishes to all fathers, specially to those who wish their children could share tis passion for such spectacular hobby!!!
cheers,
david
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM
mschulz531

Steff,
I just went back through this thread and found your pics of how you tied fishing lead lines to the gear to help hold them together.
Thanks for posting those pictures; that is exactly what I need to do.
Regards,
Mike
Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 AM
KORSARIO

hi, last week was a rainy weekend, unfortunately couldn't fly, this weekend family commitments did not allow for flights....i will have to plan a wayout!!! ha ha 
regarding the bouncing, i read that it can be overcome with a better speed when landing, do it a little faster and with a smother elevator throw,
cheers,
david

Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 AM
mschulz531

David,
Good to hear from you, hope you find some time to fly soon.
Regarding the bouncing, I agree, better speed on landing will help; I just need something to help while I learn better landing speed control!
Also, you've never landed at my field!It is a grass field and is not very smooth!
Peace,
Mike

ORIGINAL: KORSARIO

hi, last week was a rainy weekend, unfortunately couldn't fly, this weekend family commitments did not allow for flights....i will have to plan a wayout!!! ha ha
regarding the bouncing, i read that it can be overcome with a better speed when landing, do it a little faster and with a smother elevator throw,
cheers,
david
Old 07-17-2011, 06:54 PM
KORSARIO

Hi All,
It´s been a while since the last post I put. But Ihaven't had many chances of flying my Su26m. I must mentionthatI had the same problem posted before regarfing the landing; bouncing made the prop touch the ground and broke it. Lucky me had a spare prop. But it required to redo the carburation. I know nothing about engines so a friend has been helping me. I have learned a lot about low needle adjustment. In fact just today could tune the engine to solve theshutting off on low rpm regime. I will have to wait for another week to test it. It brings a question: I have worked out to achieve 1700-1900 rpm on low. Is that around the same on 30cc engines? I am using a 18x7 two blades wood propeller.

Regarding the bouncing on landing, I have applied what I do on my F4U corsair (the ubicuous Airfield 1430mm wingspan foam bird), I approach not so slow, which provides for a smooth landing. So if this is of value, can bring relief to the gear which tends to bend a lot.

The club where I fly has a long strip, suitable for jets, and rookies like me can benefit. Besides, the strip is made ofpavement, so the wheels don't stress the fuselage in the same way grass do. The downside is that it causes more damage when emergency landing occur.

I wish I had a partner who captures video to show. When I solve this problem I will definitely will upload some and share the flight with you all,

Happy flying!

Dave
Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 PM
kerwin50

The DLE carb has a natural mid range burble, There is a mod you can do to the carb and the capt'n did it to his over at the DLE thread. Me I'm just living with it.
Now I know it's not the best 3d prop but I'm using the APC 18/6W an I've had a few ground strikes. Before I was using the XOAR props but after breaking 2 of them I went to the APC
Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 AM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

The DLE carb has a natural mid range burble, There is a mod you can do to the carb and the capt'n did it to his over at the DLE thread. Me I'm just living with it.
Now I know it's not the best 3d prop but I'm using the APC 18/6W an I've had a few ground strikes. Before I was using the XOAR props but after breaking 2 of them I went to the APC
This is more than a mid-range burble...Jody suggested that I check the spark plug gap and set it to .024. I will try that this weekend and see how it goes.
Also, I put on a black Xoar prop and I think it makes the plane look much nicer than the wood prop; I've attached a few pics for your enjoyment.
-Mike

Name:	Tr51600.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1637566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76918.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1637567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60218.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	1637568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42147.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1637569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61530.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1637570  
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 PM
litterbug

That black prop deffinately does the trick.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM
KORSARIO

Ha Ha Ha, I prefer a black propeller too. I suppose it's the same size.
Here we ran out of black props, so I had ordered mine though a 19x8 that will use once complete the break of the engine,
Cheers!
Dave,

Name:	Qn38237.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1637587  
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM
kerwin50

Is that a composite prop, I hate wood.
I would have went through 2 props the other night if they would of been wood.
On My plane I chop the throttle bank her on in on a steep dive then 10 ft off the deck I start pulling elev. This makes for some really fast landings but you really kiss the runway. Even if it is a bit rough because the air under the wings keep it really light.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:14 PM
microdon2

mschulz531 - definitely, the black prop! Makes it look like the Sukhoi Batmobile.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Gabrielsande

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello there!

I know it might be too late to share my experience,but I just found this thread, I have one of this and is my favorite plane, own a mx2 which I found more stable and precise, but I love the look of this one, and its caracter!, first I fitted it with with a crrc pro26i and it was kind of ok, but a tad under powered but it was very stable at harriers and prop hanging.

Then I replaced the engine with a dle30 and the change in power was incredible! prop hanging at 1/2 stick and taking off from there like a rocket !, I did noticed after installing this engine it turned a bit harder to keep steady on the harrier, even playing with the cg (dle is nearly the same weight as crrc pro).

Cg between 116 and 120 worked fine, it was always tail heavy so batteries and stuff all up front, ignition module worked fine on top of the engine box, added just a little plywood plate,plane is being in the air since the end of 2009 with not a problem, glued an alloy plate in the firewall to reinforce and stop the standoffs to sink in the wood, used crrc pro50cc standoffs, to allow the carb to go inside helping with the clearence,engine hub is at 126mm from the firewall, so cowling is quite back to have a good prop clearence (crrc pro was quite short and I didnt want to redrill the cowling).

Plane since new in knife edge tended to turn towards the belly, having to mix some elevator to rudder to correct that, with both engines.

Canopy came off on take off (forgot the damm bolts) and hitted the tailplane, breaking the canopy in pieces, so managed to glue them back and keep them together with some fine fibreglass mesh from the inside, used some filler and painted it in black with some clear laquer on top (Im a car painter) but it weights 200g now.

Landing gear! as in all my planes,because I use grass runways I cutted the original legs and converted them to use piano wiring legs so they move back and forward absorbing the leaverage on the wood, and had few pancake hard landings resulting on the wire being bent all around with no problem than expendin few minutes bending it back.

Tail plane ended applying some glue in the carbon rod and peeled the covering a bit in both sides to glue the whole setup, it was vibrating a lot and I nocked once one of the little tabs were the screw goes when going over to hold it with my legs now is quite more strong.

DLE Engine is being ok, tunned at max rpm on the high end and backed the needle a bit, low end adjusted for smooth idle and again opened a bit to get it reacher kind of four stroking, this is VITAL to keep the engine alive otherwise will die once in the air they lean a lot!. so yes at the end you end with a burble at mid range impossible to cure,but never gave me a trouble since 2009 carb was.

With the smoke and all it weights 5.4kg dry when the flying weight should be 4- 4.4kg, but I cant figure out the extra kg!, smoke setup weights just 200g, Im using tree batteries but they are 100g each 300g,canopy weights now 200g dont know how much weights the original one, it goes like a rocket and nice, but a bit temperamental on harriers and prop hanging I can do but hard to do!, adding the fuel 450g and smoke 500g plane weights fully loaded 6.4kg, still going vertical unlimited and cant feel the difference once the smoke goes, 500g less, and it last 7 minutes, I do 12 mins flights and the tank still half empty.

So hope the info helps someone, and any suggestions are welcome, after flying the mx2 which I have fitted a saitofg30 which is too heavy and no much power against the dle (dle is on its way for it) the mx2 does not need any mix,ans it goes like a pattern plane, easier to fly sukhoi looks nice and stable but you have to fight it, Never had an issue on the sukhoi landing it comes down slow and easy, you have to control the power otherwise it could drop dead!.

Last flight last weekend my engine started losing power and died,had a nice landing still, started it again and it dies at full throttle so Im doing some mantenience today to see if I can cure that,carb untoched since 2009 so lets see

Some videos:

With the crrc pro 26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awbHtUg7Dfo

DLE vs CRRCpro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvxv3EN0I64

smoke test2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKz1Vy6CyYk

latest vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2m0MuyfSrY

Name:	Mk26548.jpg
Views:	91