Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Very disappointed with Hobby King

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Very disappointed with Hobby King

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 06:26 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Very disappointed with Hobby King

There's a DLE20 sitting in the case at my local hobby shop for $245 right now. SRIHobbies.com
Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: LDM

well I disagree with your comments as well and this is based on 20 years in imports , It works likes this , one simple word MOQ Minimum order quantity .
If HK was meeting and exceeding a licensed agreement on volume , they would have never lost the distributuon rights to DLE .
Its not about cost , its about volume and cost . Factorys that make propritory items , branded items or exclusive type items like DLE will set a MOQ and demand it is met in order to meet price discounts and quotes and distribution rights .
That is basically what I said without having your MOQ title.

I also took issue with the comment about screaming at the USA distribution center. They have no control over HK, or any vendors business practice so why involve them in a dispute?

We don't know if Hobbico has exclusive DLE distribution rights in the U.S. or not. However DLE engines are available from many sources and all aren't restricted to purchasing from Hobbico. A little sleuthing on the web will turn up some sites selling DLE's for less (some considerably) then prices you quoted.

The Chinese business model, even those located in the US, is one of no refunds. They rarely do that, preferring to issue credit where your dollar value becomes diluted in other higher marked up products. As other posters mentioned, a credit card transaction (and PayPal if purchased via eBay) is basically the only way to get a refund.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:22 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dick , I think my message was not communicated in the correct manner . My point was that if Hobby King China was not responding to any realistc business model responce then push the US office of HK in Southern Cal .
If I could buy you a pizza I would bet you one that Hobbico does have exclusive distro rights to DLE and if and when you find them in the USA they were either in the pipe line or distributed from Hobbico . That bet is with me knowing I can buy them direct as stated.
Remember , Hobby King sold the DLE20 for $169 , so depending on what was in the pipeline , was shop chooses to make will determine the price while supplies last .
Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What LDM is saying about Hobbico/Great planes is correct. They are the ones that stopped HK from selling DLE's. Same exact thing happened with The Siedel Radial engine. Horizon got exclusive distribution in the US for the motor and HK went on permanent backorder. The only thing Horizon did is re badge the motor to Evolution and raised the price $100 for the 7 cylinder and $400 for the 9.
When you bought the motor HK most likely did have them in stock. If the wire transfer cause a delay then thats why they went backorder. HK sells a lot of product and they simply ran out. I would write Anthony Hand an E mail. Besides being a multi millionaire from this hobby he seems to be a straight up guy.
I must say however that HK should refund you your money back.
I must also mention that I could spend that $200 DLE money in a heart beat at HK. They have some incredible deals and I buy from them often.
My Hobby dollar spending HK 50% Hobbico 49% LHS 1%

read it and weep
Old 05-09-2011, 10:06 AM
LDM

Tom your dead on my friend , I forgot about the Horison deal , thats is a great example !!!
I am also a member of this bogus internet "international showroom" cr......
I get these type of emails but again the price is not inticing , shipping is free .

Jasmine Tien: Hello

Many thanks for your inquiry. It is original. It has a unique serial number on its crankcase. it has 1 year warranty.
Please dont worry, we sell DLE engines for many years and enjoy a good reputation.
If you have any question ,please feel free to contact me.

Thank you
Best regards
Jasmine
[email protected]
Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is all the answers I have received from Hobby King...along with my writen statements to them.

Ken

HKCSHi Robert ,

Thanks for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team and we sincerely apologize for the late reply.

After checking our system, we have learned that it is still possible to modify your order. However, we are unable to refund the price in check form. We can simply re-credit the cost of the items back to your account, these points can be used on your next order. May we kindly know how you wish to proceed?

Thanks for emailing support.
If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Regards.
Ken
HobbyKing Support Team

May-06 2011 07:19 Ricky

HKCSTicket #8254 "I'm very disappointed with your ..." was closed and merged into this ticket.

Last comment in ticket #8254: I wrote to you that I wanted my order shipped (Order Number - 2001988095, for $483.02), and for a refund on the back ordered items. I received a answer from one of your Customer Service folks, that stated that no refund will be given.

I'm very disappointed in your performance and answer, that I am now telling all I know, of your unethical behavior. I made a serious mistake doing business with you, I thought that Hobby King was a reputable company. If you are not able to supply the goods purchased in good faith from you, then you should refund the money for the goods that your not able to sell me.

I ordered from your on line catalog...and if fact you still show the DLE 20 as a stocked item...but out of stock. If your not going to restock the DLE engine, or your not able to restock the item in a timely manor, then, you should refund the full purchase price for that item. Its been over 60 day's now...how long do you plan on holding my order in limbo...before you make good on the order, or refund my money ?

It seems you just want me to buy something else...and I refuse to buy what I don't need, and what your showing me by your behavior in this matter, is that your not a company, I never want to do business with again. Shame on you. You can now just refund all my MONEY, and I want none of my order (order number 2001988095).

What your doing is called "switch and bate"...advertise one item...then fail to ship...and have the customer switched to another product. Shame on you.

Either ship what I ordered, or refund my money in full and cancel all my order.

May-11 2011 16:10 Ricky

HKCSHi Robert ,

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
I have removed the backorder items and issued a store credit of $270.98 to your account.
You can use this value to pay for an item in our store. I'm afraid that we can't refund your payment since you have paid via Western Union and we're unable to issue check refunds. Your order is now in print queue and will be processed for shipment shortly.

Thank you so much for your patience.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Regards.
Ricky
HobbyKing Support Team

May-11 2011 16:18

As you can see, Hobby King refuses to honor the deal, and also refuses to refund my money. What kind of Bull !%$# is this...we can't issue a check because I paid by Western Union. I paid cash to them, and all they want to do is issues a store credit. This to me is outragious behavior for any company that fails to honor an order. Bate and Switch...Hobby Kings way of doing business.

You all have been warned, that these guys are less then honorable.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 AM
LDM

The payment info is total cr.... as regardless of how you pay they typically convert the payment to Paypal , every credit card and gift card I use with them is converted to paypal .
I still stick to my orginal premise , the reason why your getting screwed is that they knew 100% they had no intention to restock when your ordered and that is the premise that I would suggest you take with them .
If you are simply ordering out of stock items , then you take a risk of waiting for them to take 60 to 90 days to restock as I have done on esc and batterys ect , knowing they will come back into stock .
But in your case I knew the DLE would not come back in as many others did know and we also knew that is why they were getting in the crappy rcg or whatever there called .
I am just trying to be a friend , but If I were sitting in your shoes and only argueinging that an item went out of stock I would know I did not have a chance .
The key is they knew all along it was done , zippo , never to be ordered again , for all the reasons menthion in this post , that is the key , they lost the distribution rights and they knew it when they left it active to order with the hopes that you would eventually cave and buy the crappy replacement .
They have EPO giant jets on backorder again I know they will never come into stock again becasue they can not distribute those brands
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 AM
opjose

Purchasers would be advised to realize that their "refunds" primarily consist of store credits.

Since I order a bunch of stuff from them, ( two more orders today in fact... ) I've never had problems with this, and I've taken advantage of it on several occasions.

By being "nice" about things, they've comp'd me a few items to make up for my problem and keep me happy.

Is this disreputable?

No...

It is just a fact of life when dealing with companies in Hong Kong or Asia directly.

-

LDM...

Is that ALL EPO"s you are talking about or only specific ones?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 AM
LDM

No sir , its the F16 that has all the problems with the ducted fans exploding ect, the plane is distributed by BH , I forget who makes it , I think its Starmax F16 .
Actually a really nice jet , but the stock fan is extremely dangerous and explodes unless you really know how to balance the fan blades .

On the orginal Opjose , like you I have had nothing but good servace with HK , as fact excellant . I had one issue with them on my 120 amp esc , I read every review and knew the ones i wanted and they were out of stock . So i typically get up very early and go live chat , did so and asked about the intent and expected order date of the esc I wanted .
Got a responce , the date was 12/1/10 and the expected fill date was January 1 . Well I was confirmed they were on order , coming back in stock ect .
So I ordered and on January 18 , no esc ?? So Knowing thet CNY was approaching , that meant a total shut down of supplies , shipping ect from China .
I communiacted with HK and they said "we can release your order and back order the parts still on backorder , but I would be the one who paid two shipping cost because I knew it was out of stock at the time of the PO .
I said , I would wait and sure enought it did come into stock on 2/6/11 in the middle of CNY lol , they did ship it complete and all .
I dont buy anything from HK that I need in a rush but let me tell you why I buy from them .
I bought a brushless powerhouse motor for $240 and a castle creations ice 120 esc for $180 , the same value motor was $59 from HK and the ESC was $120 , I know you get what you pay for but I have to tell you , I am geting total satisfaction for what I pay for !!! Even more value with the lipo , incredible deal and they work great .
I bought a fun A-10 jet , 70 mm twin for $139 delivered , all I did was add my receiver and trans , its now my favorite toy that I take no matter what I am flying at the field .
I am sorry to say , but i really like hobby king and look forward to the new 66" EPO P40 and the prices they have vs Banana Hobby !!!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok...
I hear what your all saying...but I live on a tight funds and a fixed income. I planned on buying from them to streach my dollar a bit, but now I will not be receiving a DLE 20, but must pay double shipping from them with my refunded money. I need a DLE 20 and with out a refund of my money, I'm going to have to wait at least four months to re-order this engine from another vender.

I don't care how you want to sugar coat it...I was lead to believe on thing, and was sold another. I don't want any of their other goods, but what I ordered. They refused to cancel my order and refund my money, they stated they were going to give me store credit, and it never was posted. So I'm out a good bit near $250.00 (that is if they ship the other goods) and I don't care how you want to slice it...Its flat wrong.

To me these folks need a real wake up call, and their customer service is a sham.

I'll never buy from them again, and I refuse to deal with hobby dealers that have no credability, or integrity.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Unsubscribed
Old 05-12-2011, 01:39 AM
LDM

Ok instead of running from this thread, I will make one more suggestion, while its redicuous in nature , its possible .
Use the live chat option or email , post the link and contact for the current China supplier that I have listed for the DLE .
Ask HK if they can get the engine for you from that distributor by paying your funds to them .
You will have to provide HK with the distributors info as anything that is too complex will simply get a no responce .
I know that China can companys can easily tranfer goods from one area to another unless we are talking food grade products that is not relavant in this problem .
You will need to get everything in written form. If my hunch is correct , HK will not be able to purchase the engine for you , take possesion and ship it based on my theory that they are leagally not allowed to export the DLE . However they can transfer your funds to the other supplier with you ship to information and I also suggest you contact the other suppier as well with your intended goal .
Old 05-12-2011, 01:45 AM
LDM

One more thing , I am not suger coating anything , if you were an attourney , you battle the premise that is enforceable by law , not your emotion and in this case if this went to a US court and this was a US company you would be screwed based on "out of stock" as your only point of argument .
Then again , if you could simple prove they knew based on the dates, that they went out of stock and Hobbico announced they are now the USA distributor so HK had no intention of getting more in , then perhaps you legally could win .
Remember we do feel for you or we would all unsubscribe , because sooner or later in this hobby , we all get screwed in some way and we hope we have friends to help out or at leaste buffer the issue.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: LDM

One more thing , I am not suger coating anything , if you were an attourney , you battle the premise that is enforceable by law , not your emotion and in this case if this went to a US court and this was a US company you would be screwed based on ''out of stock'' as your only point of argument .
Then again , if you could simple prove they knew based on the dates, that they went out of stock and Hobbico announced they are now the USA distributor so HK had no intention of getting more in , then perhaps you legally could win .
Remember we do feel for you or we would all unsubscribe , because sooner or later in this hobby , we all get screwed in some way and we hope we have friends to help out or at leaste buffer the issue.
Hobby King is a massive risk any way you look at it. It is sensible to me to only order from them if you can chance losing money becaue of time and/or other issues that occur when buying from foreign outfits. If you get your goods you have gained, if not you have lost. Some call it a crap shoot. I purchased some of those orange receivers fromt them and I figure if they don't work, I will just call it a lesson learned and throw them in the trash. If they do work, fantastic for me. Some have spent thousands with them and I am truly amazed that it has worked out for them!

I was successful in getting parts twice from them, but I was willing to sacrifice the money in case the dice rolled to the wrong numbers and I lost the shoot. It is what it is and it probably should be much better, but until it can get better it is an extremely high risk situation when you buy from them. Some have come out on top and others have lost. As I stated earlier, an engine is something I would not purchase from them.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:08 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok some info that may be of use to the OP on the rcg 20 beam mount, may be handy infoIF he is interested (forced like me)to buy another engine to use up credit. Also posted asp 120 fs figures as a base line.

Tested asp 120 fs 900 grams all in with 16 6master and got 8400 rpmand 9.4 lb thrust.

asp 120f s with 16 8 wooden prop got 7400 rpm and 9.8lbs thrust, sounded like to much prop.

Fitted rcg 20 BEAM MOUNT 1024grams with ignition and battery, first run with super oily mix 20/1 got 12.7 ibs thrust with16 8, couldnot tach for some reason but it sounded very happy with this prop!. I think it ay handle a bigger prop when tuned /ran in no prob! Have not tuned this engine for performance yet. Started no problem (first gaser I ever started and was a piece of) sounds great and very responsive. Cannot coment on reliability as I just dont know yet.

Think I will getat least 13 lbs of thrustfrom thisengine so allin not the worst. So far I am happy with this engine (had it 6 hours, so that could change!) and should make my seagull 54 yak come alive at 9lbs all in weight, will always beenvious of the dle boys though and have a bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to hobbyking.

Oh by the way I could not use my store credit to pay for postage for my nextorder! maybe I missed something (had a beer or two)butyou may have to give them another40 dollarsif youchose to order something else lol, live and learn eh.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:46 PM
alex_scratch_built

I Paid 199$ for my DLE 20 from HK not 169$
Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
LDM

Sorry but this is how urban legends are started on RCU lol , HobbyKing is not a huge risk , I have purchased over $3000 in a seemless manner , with order confirmations , pick confirmations and shipping confirmation and tracking data , again , we are making big assumptions on issues that dont exist .
I spoke to the owner of HK about this DLE problem , he agreed that they should have never allowed BO to be placed on the engine , but he said that DLE was not being clear with HK when they went out of stock . He said even to this day , they still are not clear about allowing HK to restock but HK has stoped allowing orders to be placed on the site .They will not delist the motors because they believe this is not over yet .
IN addition I stated that they need to understand that in the USA , BO means intent to restock and discontinued means , it can not get restocked .
I dont agree how this was and is being handled but I can not change that , I would still try to get HK to get me the motor from another authorized dealer in China .
One more thing , I was 100% correct in my assumption that they out of stocks was caused by the Hobbico distribution rights , and I told the owner at HK that I as a single family dweller with zero buying power can still get a DLE from a distributor in China with free shipping , we will wait to see what he says to that comment .
Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 PM
LDM

raydar , asp in the states is magnum , distributed by Hobby People , there ok , there tolerance on machineing is semiperfact ,. you get really good ones and really bad ones .
Magnum was desigend around a person who left OS and started the company , I use to only use magnum , then found OS and was sold on the OS ease of starting and reliability in the air;\
The key to magnum /asp is oil , keep them loobed and you keep them happy
Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From a common sense point of view there is no excuse not to refund a customers money when you
are not able to provide what was paid for. To me it's very plain that HK does not provide good cust
service.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im happy with my asp/magnum engines, bang for buck theyare good. I have several. Was not unhappy with performance of engine but the comparison was basically showing cheap nitro 120 fs is now dead, cheap 20cc petrol provides more power at lower running costs

The reason for my post wasto let others know that if they are stuck with a hobbyking credit for a dle now they know what to expect from the only other 20cc petrol beam mount engine that they can buy.

And

Im not actually anti hobbyking, the price for my crg 20 was better than I could have got here, and I may order from them again because when I ordered something they actually had I got it no problem, BUT I post to warn others of the fact theycould take your money for something they prob will never have (dle)and then will not refund you! so be carefull of what you order and make sure it is in stock.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:12 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Hobby King is a massive risk any way you look at it.
That's specious... Using the same logic, so is pretty much anything in this hobby.

90% of what we buy comes from Asia anyway.... and U.S. vendors are caught in the middle.

I never got my GMS 1.20 muffler from Tower after TWO YEARS of backorder status, even though I ordered it when it was new and available along with my new 1.20 engine! ( They were sold seperately... )

Likewise if you need parts for Tower Hobbies engines ( great engines btw ) you are now screwed big time... ( fortunately I stocked up on parts ).

From a risk assessment standpoint and that logic, Tower ( who I think is a great company ) is the far more "Massive risk".

At least with HK I have alternatives, with Tower I'm stuck with a engine that I cannot obtain the right muffler for.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:16 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: ira d

From a common sense point of view there is no excuse not to refund a customers money when you
are not able to provide what was paid for.
Right.... but refunds can be handled in many different ways as can payments....

To me it's very plain that HK does not provide good cust service.
You may then need new glasses, HK offered the OP a "store" credit "refund".

He did not purchase the engine via a Credit Card transaction where they could have simply issued a credit memo.
Instead he utilized a Western Union transfer.

HK has issued me Credit Card refunds w/o problems.... though to make things easier for everyone I prefer to take their store credits.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

are not able to provide what was paid for. To me it's very plain that HK does not provide good cust
service.
It is interesting to me how some believe that a store credit is appropriate. If you gave someone money and they simple do not have the item, then is that not your money unless there was a previous agreement? I guess I am just old school and believe that business should treat customers in a proper manner. If you bought something from me and I could not provide, you would get your money back - plain and simple.

The ONLY way that would not be the case if there were rules that we agreed upon that stated that I would give you something in exchange for your money that was of equal or greater value. A store credit is OK, but you should have the option as to whether you choose a store credit or a refund of your cash.

It is not like it was when I was growing up. Reminds me of the Bob Dylan song, "The times they are a changin'"
Old 05-12-2011, 02:19 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: raydar

BUT I post to warn others of the fact they could take your money for something they prob will never have (dle) and then will not refund you! so be carefull of what you order and make sure it is in stock.
As LDM posted, this is how false rumors get started.

Don't take the OP out of context.

They WILL issue credits ( refunds ) for credit card and paypal transactions. The OP did neither unfortunately exacerbating his frustration.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:23 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

It is interesting to me how some believe that a store credit is appropriate. If you gave someone money and they simple do not have the item, then is that not your money unless there was a previous agreement? I guess I am just old school and believe that business should treat customers in a proper manner. If you bought something from me and I could not provide, you would get your money back - plain and simple.
This is the "if A = D, then B & C must be true" type of argument.

Or in this case,

A, if you gave them money,
D they do not have the item,
then C they don't treat customers in the proper manner.

One does not follow the other.

If you do not like store credits, then you can request a credit memo ( refund ) if you used paypal or a credit card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.