Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Very disappointed with Hobby King

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Very disappointed with Hobby King

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Very disappointed with Hobby King

I ordered a DLE 20 back in January, and it was in stock at that time. I elected to pay by Western Union, but Hobby King didn't pick up the funds for almost a month. By then the DLE 20 was out of stock and its still out of stock. I requested my money back, and Hobby King refused...and would only grant store credit.

This is the last time I buy from Hobby King...be warned, once these folks get your money...it will never be returned, even if they fail to ship what you ordered.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Mau
Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Very disappointed with Hobby King

Sorry for your frustration Bob. Although I don't use them much, I have not had any bad experiences with them personally. I know this is of no consolation to you right now.

This is a wonderful hobby, as I'm sure you will agree, and I would just say, don't let people like this rob you of the joy it should bring. My guess is that you will still get the engine, someday.

I have been waiting on a set of gear from Robart from last December!!!!! I know I'll get it 'someday'. I finally got the tail gear just last week.

Maybe Robart is the new Sierra. LOL (well, not really I guess)

I just move on to something else till stuff shows up. I'm in this to have fun, and by Thors Hammer, I'm going to have some.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard something about HK not being licensed to sell real DLE motors, perhaps they got cut off from supplies.

Just take the store credit, nothing really wrong with that, many companies have a no cash back policy, all around the globe. 13,000,000 others love HK deals and will buy endlessly...
Its not like they took your $ and offered nothing in return.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

this hobby is very hard sometimes, it dont fit , on backorder, sells out,cost to much,to much wind, and i love it , thanks frank
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 PM
scooterinvegas

Use up the credit in one order and be done with them. You can stock up.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i basically got stung the same, I was allowed (and you still are right now)to order a dle 20 when they know that they will never ship it and was forced into a store credit. Got apoor mans dle 20 coming which is the rcg 20 beam mount,they shipped in two days and it is at costoms in my country after 4 days. Will postthe performance of thisengine when I get it though may be acouple of weeksbefore I get it running.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:38 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Another good example of why you shouldn't use anything but a credit card (NOT debit card) for internet purchases. You DO have the last word when using one, even if using one to fund a Paypal purchase....

This could have been handled very easily with a phone call or email to your credit card company. You tell them you never received the order, and unless HK can prove you did, the CC company reverses the charges. Simple.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:33 AM
outdoorhunting

Exactly right, ahicks. I don't know why so many guys wait soo long & gripe about some of these outfits not sending their stuff for 2 or 3 months. A simple call to the credit card company will get your money back. THAT'S when you go buy your needed part elseware!!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:48 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

Exactly right, ahicks. I don't know why so many guys wait soo long & gripe about some of these outfits not sending their stuff for 2 or 3 months. A simple call to the credit card company will get your money back. THAT'S when you go buy your needed part elseware!!
I have bought a couple things from HK, but an engine is something I would NOT buy from them. I just don't think that is worth taking a chance on. Around a 100 or less, then no biggy, but engines need service and service would be difficult from anyone in China or Japan [8D]
Old 05-06-2011, 05:06 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

I have bought a couple things from HK, but an engine is something I would NOT buy from them. I just don't think that is worth taking a chance on. Around a 100 or less, then no biggy, but engines need service and service would be difficult from anyone in China or Japan [8D]
Many, myself included, do our own service work. At that point the engines are a commodity, enabling one to buy at best price. If you are forced to seek service work, or support, that's a different ball game entirely.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Bob Paris

Thank you guys for all your words...

But...I'm not happy with Hobby Kings solution. To me...its the ol' bate and switch number. Hobby King still shows the DLE 20 a stocked item...but back ordered. I ordered my goods in good faith, an in stock item, and I also sent them my good earned money for this order (order number 2001988095) for $483.02. Any good company that cares for its reputation will honor an order paid for, or refund your money. So far, they have refused to refund my money.

I answered Hobby Kings response, and I now canceled my order in full, and requested a full refund of $483.02. I asked them to either ship the order, or cancel it and refund my funds. To me, what they are pulling is unethical and very poor business practice.

It will be interesting to see what they do now.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73907.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1605207  
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick to your guns mate
Old 05-07-2011, 04:53 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I hate to be one of these guys that is happy because I have not had a problem with HK . I can tell you why you had a problem and also still bellieve you are correct and they should have done something differant and let me explane .
I visit the the hobby king site about once a day and I am a platimum member with zero problems , great prices and great service .
However let me explane what I know from being on and you would not know and its not fair to you as a person buying an engine .
When somthing goes out of stock on HK , it happens for variuos reasons ,
1)real out of stock with intention to restock 30 to 60 days
2)loss of distribution rights on the brand or segment , in this case the DLE engines
3)QC issues with original released product
4)discontinued product from the supplier
5)closeout extreme limited buy
In the case DLE , they litterally screwed anyone that bought from January 1 and on because they knew 100% they lost the USA distribution rights to Great Planes .As a result they went after the really bad knock offs that until recently had very very bad reviews .Typically Hobby King leaves the bad reveiws up on line and I can tell you that is either a fact of too stupid to maintain there site or simply running an honest business .
I can understand a credit being offered if you change your mind ect on a purchase , but when they know they lost the distribution rights and simply say"out of stock , backorder , they are screwing the consumer .

The only way we as a USA rc community will make this policy change is to really scream at the USA distribution center because I can tell you that HK in China does not care a rats a..... about you or me , even with me being a platimum member .
So buyer beware , when I see a backorder item always go live chat , ask if they intend to stock the item and if not or you get a gray answer dont buy , its that simple .
I will tell you when you buy and there instock , I get shipped quickly , I get quality in batterys , motors , planes , props , retracts all at 50% discounts vs paying Tower , Horison , Thunder Power , Hobby People , Hobby Lobby ect , because all these guys do is import and add a mark up , that is it
Old 05-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Oberst
Banned

The sad thing is some dealers are more concerned about profits more than the hobby. I was lucky enough to had only 2 bad experiences, GTM and Nitroplanes. Great Planes, Tower, Horizon, BUSA and Mick Reeves and Ric at Tru-Turn has given me outstanding customer service in the past.

Now to be on the safe side, I do most of my dealings through my LHS. Why?

Because if the manufacture stiffs them, the odds that your LHS will stiff you is about nil. I'm very good friends with my LHS owner and at times I've paid only what he paid at dealer cost. So you can understand my LHS owns my wallet most of the time and it usually stays empty.

I'm sorry to read you got stiffed. Thanks for the " Heads Up."

Pete
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 AM
LDM

I also buy locally Pete and agree with you , but my local shops are so limited one is a toy/hobby and I am lucky to get an xacto knife , the other is pretty good and I try to order thru him
Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 AM
WildeOne

I recently had an order with HK from 11/10 for an RCGF 26cc from their USA warehouse. Months went by and I canceled it. They wanted me to take a store credit, but I insisted on a refund. They said that would take 2 to 4 weeks, and I protested that too. I got the refund within a few days. Chinese companies mostly aren't too big on customer service, but generally respond to gentle prodding. Just keep it business like and you have a chance.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:11 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: WildeOne

Chinese companies mostly aren't too big on customer service, but generally respond to gentle prodding. Just keep it business like and you have a chance.
Yup that's the key, along with a bit of flexibility...

I've ordered a handful of engines from them w/o problems... 26cc, 30cc & 50cc'ers plus a bunch of parts that fit engines I've purchased elsewhere.

I ALWAYS make sure that I use a credit card or paypal ( again using a Credit Card via Paypal as I don't trust Paypal's policies either... ).

If I don't see the item shipped within 5-6 days I may e-mail them to check the status of my order. Usually I get a response about 5 days later.

You also MUST make sure the item shows "In Stock" with a positive quantity on the web site, before you click on "Place order".

BK does not mean it's in stock... The $ 225.00 DLE 20 shows it is backordered & not in stock at the moment.

If you want something that is out of stock, set up their e-mail alert for that item, and NEVER include a backordered item on ANY order or you WILL have problems with long delays in shipment.

I hit "platinum" several years ago with them, and by being careful, all of my minor problems have been resolved to my satisfaction.

However you are dealing with a different mindset that most U.S. buyers are not used to... and there, "the customer is hardly every right" it seems.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Bob Paris

Hay Opjose,
The DLE 20 did show that it was "in stock" at the time I placed my order. Now they want me to buy something else, with no refund...and that to me just very bad Customer Service. I had the same problem with Nitro Planes back in 2006, with an order that was damaged...and they NEVER shipped the replacement parts. Since...I've never purchased any item from N.P., and will do like wise with Hobby King. Its kind of sad in a way, for a while I thought that this company had its customer service in order, and would honor the deal. I did buy an RGC 26 from them with out any problems last year, and it came as advertised. I also have never heard about any problems with Hobby King...until now. So part of my starting all this is to let other modelers know about Hobby King and what to expect from them if you have back order issues.

The other thing I've come to realize, is that most Chinese sellers will not stock spare parts. I should have bought the DLE 20 from Troy Built models, or Tower Hobbies. I have delt with both these companies for many years, without one negative issue...ever. My second order with Hobby King...and I managed to learn a rather expensive lesson.

I've been in this hobby for almost 60 years, and the only companies that have been dishonorable, have come from Asia...specifically, China. I've worked and lived in China, and I must state, that I was treated with respect and paid honestly for my work. My time in China was a very good experience for me and enjoyed the work I did there. This was unexpected...especially from such a large hobby company.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-07-2011, 01:39 PM
LDM

I think we are making very larger sweeping statements and personally I dont like to do that , I know you guys dont mean to do so but it borders on predjudicial thinking . I also have been to HongKong and all parts of China and sell imported products . I have to tell you that its just like in the USA , you have your incredibly good companys and your really bad ones .
As a major traveler with over 100,000 miles per airline on avg , I can tell you without getting personal that some of the major airline dont know the meaning of customer servace , so again its not about where you live , or the cultural , its the nature of the person you happen to be dealing with and knowing there business model .
You have to ask questions .
As far as Dle , I have two direct importers that are in stock now , no shipping cost , but the price is just slilightly less then tower , so in the case of buying DLE direct , I would not make that choice at this time .
When HK had the DLE , they were almost $100 under Tower , again reinforceing the markup of the US distributor.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: LDM

The only way we as a USA rc community will make this policy change is to really scream at the USA distribution center because I can tell you that HK in China does not care a rats a..... about you or me ,

I will tell you when you buy and there instock , I get shipped quickly , I get quality in batterys , motors , planes , props , retracts all at 50% discounts vs paying Tower , Horison , Thunder Power , Hobby People , Hobby Lobby ect , because all these guys do is import and add a mark up , that is it
I disagree with these comments for the following reasons:

No USA seller has a responsibility nor oblgation to intercede on one's behalf concerning DLE engines. I doubt Tower selling the engines has anything to do with HK not having the engines available as there are several other USA vendors stocking them. More likely the DLE factory gives priority to larger overseas orders than HK places and because they can, and do, charge them more.

Secondly importing and marking up is how you stay in business. You won't be there long if you cater to many hobbyist demand to get at cost or less than the other sellers. Ask any former hobby shop owner or many of the former hobby suppliers on the web. No markup, no profit, no business.

I occasionally purchase from HK, especially products that aren't available otherwise or affordable. Always check their stock level and order only if it shows 10+. Only had one instance of a delayed order but that was before their order system reserved in stock products much like Tower and other online vendors do (but not all do). I did receive an email from HK explaining the situation and was provided options for continuing or holding the order. I consider that pretty good customer service.

I understand the OP's frustration of having $400.00 + tied up. Continued communications with them will probably find a satisfactory resolution.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:17 PM
LDM

well I disagree with your comments as well and this is based on 20 years in imports , It works likes this , one simple word MOQ Minimum order quantity .
If HK was meeting and exceeding a licensed agreement on volume , they would have never lost the distributuon rights to DLE .
Its not about cost , its about volume and cost . Factorys that make propritory items , branded items or exclusive type items like DLE will set a MOQ and demand it is met in order to meet price discounts and quotes and distribution rights .
What do you think happened to KMP lol , do you really think Andrew have up esm distribution because of his concern over quality ?? please , he could not maintain his moq number needed to maintain exclsuive distribution .
Same with the original imported of CMP they were Giant Scale Planes in upsate Pa .they lost the rights to CMP to Nitro planes and AK Models .
Most of Towers , Horison and Hobby People brands that are inherant to them are based on a distribution MOQ contract of sales volume . As far as the margin thay any of them make its all about theer ability to buy .
As far as hobby shops the reason why so many are suffering in addition to the Mail order giants menthioned above , the ability to buy HK , the other reason that your not talking about is that most of the big hobby shop distributors have pulled back on the allowances that were once passed onto the shops ,Again I dont speculate on any of this , its based on traveling the US , visiting shops in my spare time and talking to great owners who are all getting squezzed for the reasons I just menthioned .
As stated earlier , I feel for the original poster and believe HK knew 100% they would not get any more DLE and the price they originally could sell them.
Why they show "out of stock " I can give you a link right now , you can buy the DLE from China direct , no shipping , but the price is fixed as not to beat tower , I will post that link in a few moments
Old 05-07-2011, 03:22 PM
LDM

DLE nothing special on price , but note plenty of stock
New DLE20 20cc gas engine petrol engine rc plane part RC hobby part for RC toy free shipping
Unit Price: US $255.99 - 264.27 / piece
Min. Order: 1 piece Wholesale Price: Quantity (piece) Price (Per piece) Processing Time
1 - 3 $264.27 5 Days
4 - 6 $260.11 7 Days
7 - 8 $255.99 7 Days
Quantity: piece Shipping Cost: Free Shippingto United States Via FEDEXTotal Price: $264.27 x 1 + $0.00 = US $264.27Transaction History: 1 transaction (1 piece ) Buyer Feedback Add to Cart Payment Methods: paypal visa mastercard moneybookers maestro solo cartebleue 4b euro6000 cartasi postepay Bank Transfer Payment is only released to suppliers after you confirm delivery. Escrow is free and easy to use.

See Larger Image: New DLE20 20cc gas engine petrol engine rc plane part RC hobby part for RC toy free shipping
Average Product Rating: 1Rating
Time Remaining: 20 Days 10 Hours Average Product Rating: Ratings
Bookmark & Share Bookmark & SharecloseFavoriteCopy URLFacebookTwitterGoogleDeliciousDiggRedditEmail
Product Details Company Profile Shipping & Packaging Payment Terms Feedback
Item specifics
Style: Radio Control Toy
Place of Origin: China (Mainland)
Brand Name: DLE
Radio Control Style: RC Model
Power: Gas
Type: Airplane
Model Number: DLE20
Use: Vehicles&Remote Control To...
Displacement: 20CC
Output Power: 2.5HP/9000rpm
Idle Speed: 1750 rpm/min
Static Thrust: 6Kg / 100 meters Altitude5...
Propeller: 14 X10; 15 X 8; 16 X 6; 16...
Sparking plug: NGK CM6
Exhaust Amount: 30.5cm3
Ratio of compression: 10.5:1
Weight: Main engine - 650g
Old 05-07-2011, 03:25 PM
LDM

and right from Tower , funny they are out of stock as well
stock#
LXAEPW
Only
$269.97

Stock Status:
Late May (Estimated)
E-mail Me When Available

Tech Notes

Accessories Needed
Old 05-07-2011, 03:28 PM
LDM

One more comment , as far as many USA shops stocking DLE , its the same business model with the shops that stock OS or choose to stock Saito or both , they buy from the USA distributor who has the brand distribution rights , example _Great Planes =OS =
Horison = Saito
Old 05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
ceecrb1

I think axarmodel in spain has some dle 20s in stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.