Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GSP Katana 72"...DETAILED BUILD and 3D FLIGHT REPORT

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GSP Katana 72"...DETAILED BUILD and 3D FLIGHT REPORT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 04:38 PM
wyldman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSP Katana 72"...DETAILED BUILD and 3D FLIGHT REPORT

I will get you a couple of pictures of the hatch mod it only took a couple of hours to make and most of it is the top of the fuse that you cut out ,this gives you lots of room to get in the fuse and bolt on the wing or what ever and no more springs. in fact you can assemble the plane with out any tools at all in only a minute or two .

WYLDMAN
Old 08-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Dangerous Dan

TT2,

The factory recomended CG for this plane is 100-125 mm, which is 4 to 5 inches approxmately, I read in another post that 5 inches placed the CG just in front of the wing tube, so is your CG on the wing tube with your CG at 1/2 behing the factory limit?

Was this achieved with three 2oz servos in the tail and no lead?

Thanks in advance

Dan
Old 08-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Dangerous Dan

thanks Wyldman

I cant wait to see the pics of the hatch.

Did the hatch mod add much weight?
Old 08-19-2003, 06:03 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

dntmn, I measured my CG as per the diagram shown in the instructions. My CG is about 1/2" aft of the rear (max.) CG point shown in the diagram. I didn't add any noseweight or tailweight to achieve the 1/2" aft CG. Three S9402s in the tail and much more stout than stock linkage...which probably added a little more weight to the tail.

I'm going to shift the CG even further aft the next time I fly the plane. I'll shift it back 1/4" at a time by moving the battery pack until I find the perfect CG for 3D stuff. If I want shift the CG forward (to practice IMAC sequences), I can simply move the battery pack to it's current location strapped to the front of the wing tube support.

Oh yeah...I ordered another one yesterday just to have a spare! That's how much I like this plane.

-Tom
Old 08-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Dangerous Dan

sounds great! one more question

In your "IMAC" CG location, how much down elevator is needed when inverted?

Thanks

Dan

PS:
If you are ordering a second one you might check Jet hobbies
they have the exact same Katana for $235, with free shipping(saves $30) and a free scale pilot.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Dangerous Dan

Originally posted by TT2

Oh yeah...I ordered another one yesterday just to have a spare! That's how much I like this plane.

-Tom
Sorry I thought you said was ordering...LOL
Old 08-19-2003, 06:46 PM
TT2

>

That's something that's difficult to quantify...I suppose I could say 'a tiny bit' if that helps. I like them to be dead neutral so that no down elevator is required in inverted flight. When this happens I usually stop moving my CG back...usually...

Thanks for the heads-up on Jet hobbies' price. I struck a pretty good deal on mine but that should certainly help others out. When I ordered my first one Chief gave me the run-around for six weeks before I finally gave up on them and ordered from GSP.

-Tom
Old 08-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Dangerous Dan

Jet Hobbies has great customer service and prices, (there is a slight language barrier), I did a review for them a while back.,

I am really excited about this plane, it will take me a little while to generate the funds to do it right (digital servos, Li battery, etc...)

Have you talked to GSP about the wing webbing problem?

If so what was the reply?

Dan
Old 08-19-2003, 08:12 PM
Superfast
My Feedback: (2)

Here is a link to the pictures wyldman was talking about. The hatch was easy to make and took only a few hours. It saves alot of time at the field simply because I don't have to flip the plane over to get to stuff ! I will try and get a few pictures of the wing mount bolts on there also. It is a great flying plane, mine has a Brison 2.0 and came in right at 12lbs. I will be checking my shear webs tonight

Scott

Katana Hatch Mods
Old 08-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Dangerous Dan

Great looking Hatch!!!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:57 AM
Superfast

Ok I did some looking and my Katana also has the shear web going the wrong way. I am also working on a rebuild of a GSP Edge 540T that a fellow flyer crashed. I took a look at that wing and it is the same thing on the shear webs. I wonder if all the GSP planes are that way ??????

Scott
Old 08-20-2003, 12:00 PM
chewy

I'm thinking of getting this plane also. Hey Superfast, I have a A&M(Brison)2.0 to put in mine also. Do you like the power the engine provides? Is it sufficient? I had a couple of people tell me it wasn't enough power and too heavy. I have another 2.0 swinging a Mezjlik 19x8 and it swings it pretty good. Matt
Old 08-20-2003, 02:08 PM
wyldman

I fly with superfast and he has no problem with the 2.0 hauling the katana ,in fact it's as fast as my 2.4 brison and he's almost a pound lighter because of it .
he has more than enough power to knife that thing all day long.
shredder and I checked our katana 's last night and we have the shear web problem ,so superfast must be right ,there all this way.
WYLDMAN
Old 08-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Superfast

The 2.0 works great on the Katana. The plane will even hover and pull out vertical, not "rocket ship" vertical but it will climb out of it with authority. I am currently swinging a Zinger 18X8 @ 7500-7600rpm.

Scott
Old 08-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Dangerous Dan

Scott,
I like your website, are you planning to add the Katana to the site?

PS: I am an x Navy Twiget (ET), myself(91-97) I wanted avionics, but the recruiter talked me out of it
Old 08-20-2003, 09:18 PM
chewy

Thanks Superfast and wyldman, I thought it would fly it okay but there's nothing like first hand knowledge. Superfast, you may be perfectly happy with that 18x8 Zinger, but you should really try the 19x8 Mezjlic. I think you would get even more verticle. The carbon prop allows you to go up an inch or so in diameter. Matt
Old 08-21-2003, 01:21 AM
Dangerous Dan

Default props

I have read a lot af threads that state the APC 18 x6w to be the best prop for the OS 160, I Had an OS 160 on a heavy Six Extra 300xs(heavy plane bought it used 13.7 lbs) it had a mezjilic 19x8, the problem with the mezjilic wat its is drilled to large for the OS 160 shaft, I made a brass bushing for the prop, but this was a plane in the (*&^.

What I am trying to say is what is the best prop for the OS 160 on a 10.5 lb GSP Katana, for IMAC and/or 3D?

I am not interested in speed and want the plane to land slow.

So far the APC 18 x 6W seems like the best choice unless somebody can convince me otherwise.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:49 PM
TT2

The Mezjlik 18x6 I've been using provides great thrust for this plane, spools up quickly and brakes OK. After flying the Katana with this prop I don't think I would be happy switching to anything else...I'm calling it 'good enough!'.

-Tom
Old 08-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Dangerous Dan

Tom

Is the Mezjlik 18x6 wood or CF?

Have you tried APC 18 x 6W?

Zinger Pro 18 x 6?
Old 08-26-2003, 03:04 PM
TT2

The Mezjlik is hollow molded carbon fiber. Very light...not as light as wood, but much stiffer than wood or the APCs, and PERFECTLY balanced from the factory. Long ago my neighbor and me put his newly-bought Mezjlik 20x8 on a super-sensitive magnetic balancer and it DIDN'T MOVE! We just stared at it...then both said 'WOW!'. I've had identical experiences with other Mezjlik props...

-Tom
Old 08-27-2003, 04:39 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Does anyone know a good source of carbon fiber landing gear for this plane? I checked fiber-lite and they don't seem to have anything the right size...

Thanks,
Old 08-27-2003, 07:00 PM
malcolmm

I bought a Katana a few days ago from a local supplier (jet-hobbies.com, same as the GSP/Chief Aircraft one).

I haven't assembled it yet, but am mostly impressed with the quality. The fiberglass cowl in particular is very impressive. It does have the problem with the spar webbing going the wrong direction which I plan to fix.

I did notice one other possible problem - the rudder appears to be warped, or the airfoil is wrong on one side. One side of the rudder will lie flat, on the other side there appears to be about a 1/2" warp (may be caused by an incorrectly shaped airfoil). I've never had a plane with a airfoiled rudder before, but shouldn't the two side match? Would this cause a significant problem?

I would appreciate it if anyone else with this ARF could check this out for me.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2003, 10:15 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I also had miracle Y trouble. Mine would change the trim on one of the elevators during flight. The new one has had no problems in a year. If I had to do it all over again...................... I would turn one of the servos around and move the hole in the fuse so the horns were the same distance from the tail.
Great write up by the way.
later david
Old 08-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Dangerous Dan

David,
Here is a much better solution to the miracle y, these are made by Quest Engineering/Smart-Fly
The equalizer II can gang up to three servos, reverse servos, adjust centering and endpoints seperately ,and it also has built in failsafe
http://www.smart-fly.com/page3.html

The equalizer 3D is the same but can gang up to 4 servos and has the ability to use a seperate power source

These units are fully programable

Anyone used these?

http://www.smart-fly.com/page4.html
Old 08-29-2003, 06:19 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Well, I have sent 3 emails to GSP about the webbing problem and they have to answer any of them. I sent an email as a test and said, " Anyone there answering email?" and within an hour somebody names Irwin replied "I spend about 70% of my awake life in front of the PC, what are you talking about?" I replied back and told him my issue and guess what, no answer. What great product support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.