Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Stinger 2

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Stinger 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stinger 2

Just wait until you put it in the air!!!

I flew mine this last weekend at a fun fly event, and had an absolute BLAST!

With a roll-out of about 30 feet, I can pull mine (running an O.S. .46 AX) very close to vertical and climb to altitude with no trouble. On high rates, the plane rolls extremely fast, and she moves along quickly at full throttle!

This is definitely one of my 'go-to' planes now.

I can't wait to get mine back in the air!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 PM
deadstickdan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I don't have pics with this post, but I made a bit more progress. This has to be one of the first ARF's I've put together where I actually used a lot of the hardware that was included. Most of it is standard size and looks like it should hold up well. All of my radio gear is in and working, tail section all done and working, wings done. I'm just waiting on a header pipe for my YS .63 so I can keep the muffler inside the cowl. I'd also note that this is also one of the first ARF's I have assembled that didn't need much fussing with to get the horizontal satb or vertical fin to line up correctly. I was going to try using the foam wheels that are included but I ran into the same problem as AJsToyz and the axle's being too short. The quick remedy is to get a pair of DuBro 2.5" wheels. I had a set, put them on and problem solved. The hubs on the DuBro wheels are a little narrower than the foam wheels that are supplied with the ARF. As I mentioned earlier, I cut the tank mount out and remounted it lower so I could put a larger, 10 oz, fuel tank in. I was trying to get this plane done so I could maiden it this Wednesday but that will get delayed until I get the exhaust header in.

Dan

Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
AJsToyz

Finally! Got her in the air, and what a surprise!

This is one nice flying plane! I set the CG at the recommended point and it flies level with only one click on the up elevator trim. I took her up a few times, handles like a dream, very responsive, but easy to fly. I had it nose over a couple times on landing, but could have something to do with the long grass at our field.

Andy
Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 PM
G.Barber

I knew you'd be happy! I love mine, and put at least 3 flights on it every time I go to the field!

What did you think of the roll rate on high rates?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:33 PM
AJsToyz

I thought I had the dual rates set but didn't, so it was high rate full time. Let me start out by saying I'm more of an advanced rookie! LOL This plane would snap your neck if you were in it. I still can't believe it can for how easy it is to fly but will let someone do all kinds of aerobatic stuff. I was just doing some loops, split S's , tip stalls and figure 8's, no Cuban eights.

I like how good it does in turns, being able to hold the same altitude no matter how sharp, or shallow the turns.

Andy
Old 08-30-2011, 12:37 PM
G.Barber

Oh yeah! It is definitely a fun plane! I'm running the O.S. .46 AX in mine with a 12*6 prop right now, but I'm going to switch to a 13*4 wide blade and start doing some 3D. The control surfaces have more than enough authority to do 3D, and it will hover nicely (at almost full throttle) on the 12*6. Hopefully the 13*4 wide blade will give me some more throttle to play with when hovering.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM
AJsToyz

I think you will be quite happy with a 3D type prop on that 46. I went from a 13x6 to a 14x4w on my Saito .72 and gained a ton of thrust. I think I was getting around 6lbs on a fish scale and put it up to just shy of 10 lbs.

The grass is so long at out field I was running a 12x8 3 blade on mine I tried upping the battery a little and going with a 12x8 but the extra weight made for alot more thrust to get her off the ground. This set up was making it torque pretty hard when lifting off. I'm not into flying sideways on take off. LOL

Old 09-05-2011, 05:19 PM
deadstickdan

Finally finished my Stinger II. Came in at just ender 6 lbs. The YS .63 nd Hatori in cowl muffler no doubt added to the extra weight. I think this plane should do well regardless. CG is 3 1/4" behind the leading edge and I had to add about 3/4 oz of weight in the tail for the balance to come out right. Won't get to do the maiden until next week and am looking forward to it.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73075.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1658770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48707.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1658771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36259.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1658772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34589.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1658773  
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that's a pretty plane. Does the stock gear seem strong enough, it doesn't look robust but maybe it's okay. And did you beef up the area where it bolts on the bottom of the fuse any? I used to like to use nylon bolts there but they were 1/4" nylon.

So how are they flying by now guys??? What muffler on your 46AX? Anyone running the recommended bisson pitts muffler? And for the YS 63 where did you get a Hatori muffler??? Wonder if they make one for my Saito 82?

Keep the ideas coming guys, thanks loads, I'll pick up my Stinger this week hopefully and use an OS55 and pitts muffler I think, and LIFE battery for sure, only 3 ounces or so and 1100mah.

Ernie Misner
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 PM
G.Barber

I have the Bisson muffler I'm my .46 AX. It sounds really cool! I've been flying my Stinger a lot, and love it!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:04 PM
AJsToyz

The gear seems to be good, no problems here. My problem is the weather, been raining r gusty winds for a couple weeks. I'm charging up the batteries and getting some new props in the mail to try out. With the success I have had with electric I have no doubt this one would do great on glow. Because of the room I would opt for a 4 stroke. I love the sound and could put a pretty hefty prop on one.

Andy
Old 09-11-2011, 02:36 PM
deadstickdan

I bought the Hatori Muffler from Central Hobbies. They didn't show it in stock when I bought. I called in a last ditch attempt to find one and Central had it on cleaance It seems to be well made and is a nice looking muffler. I have not had a chance to fly my Stinger yet. That should happen this week!!

Dan
Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM
deadstickdan

Well, it took me long enough but I finally had the chance to maiden my Stinger and this plane is a blast fly! Take off's are easy as can be and it flys smooth and soild. When you roll the plane, it will stop the roll as soon as you let off the stick. The YS .63 is a good match for the Stinger and I should get more power when I lean it out a bit more. It's a new engine and I'm letting it run rich. I'm using a Master Airscrew prop and I think the performace will be even better when I switch to an APC. You can toss this plane around in the sky and it will do just about everything you want it to and leave you smilin' the whole time. I followed the instructions for the CG and control throws which work well for the way I like to fly.

Landings are really enjoyable. I had a little headwind today and with that thick airfoil the wing has, it just floats in and touches down as nice as can be. This Stinger is a keeper and as others here have noted, will be going with me to the field quite often.

Dan
Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Ernie Misner

Hey Dan, that's good news! They said to start the CG at 3 1/4 but could go back as far as 3 3/4. So did you stick with the origional 3 1/4??????

I got my Stinger II last week and there are a few little problems. They pre-hinged the ailerons and elevator and they got them way too tight and used too much CA on the hinges. It took me forever with a toothbrush and acetone to get them loosened up and working. The fuel tank will not stand up like it is supposed to with a tiny bit of foam under it because it sticks up a little too high for the cockpit to go on. So I'm putting the tank in sideways which should be fine. The wings are not flat at the root and then they don't tighten down flat to the fuselage sides so they might alwayis be slightly loose. The pilot figure inside of the cockpit came loose (lousy glue joint) when I accidentally dropped the cockpit. I think it would have come loose anyway in flight..... don't know what I'll do about that just yet! My 55 AX size pitts muffler is backordered from Horizon but should be here soon. Tower does not yet carry the 55 AX version of the Bisson pitts muffler. The landing gear is stiff as a board. That can eventually be an airplane wrecker so I put some nice Goldberg gear on it.

Did you guys notice any of this stuff?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 AM
deadstickdan

Hi Ernie,

I kept my CG at the original recommended point. It does not take much weight at all to change the CG. That is a good starting point and flies well that way. I tossed out the supplied tank, cut the stock tank floor out and installed a larger fuel tank. I used the stock gear and don't see any major issues with it and keeping it and I did not have any of the other issues you describe. The wings on mine bolt up nice and tight to the fuse and I even dropped my canopy once during assembly and the pilot stayed put.

Dan
Old 10-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Ernie Misner

You got a good one Dan! Hopefully mine will fly just fine in the end anyway. The OS 55 might be a hair heavier so I'll might move it back a bit. Thanks loads,

Ernie
Old 10-04-2011, 07:54 AM
GBR2

I don't like the long thin skinny screws they use to hold the canopy on. Outside of that, the plane flies very nice.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 PM
G.Barber

I agree with the top hatch screw comment. A hatch with magnets would be more convenient, but the way the Stinger II flies, I'll bet Great Planes felt screws would be better. I have no complaints at all on this one, just a lot of fun to fly!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Overall I think this is a very good looking airplane and I am attracted to it, except I do not like the engine cowl. I wonder if there is an aftermarket cowl that fits closer to the fuselage shape?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:20 PM
G.Barber

You could probably find something, but that is one of the Stinger trademarks. Plus, it almost completely encloses most .46 sized engines. I like a cowl with lots of room.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Ernie Misner

The cowl seems to wide and draggy. The first thing I did was to cut off those standoffs for mounting the cowl. I'm running a Tru Turn spinner and NO cowl.

Ernie
Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys talked it up and got me pumped up, plus I viewed G.Barber's review here on RCU, so I just ordered one from Tower. I've always liked the looks of the Stinger, very unique. Myself, I like the cowl because it's part of the Stinger personality. G.Barber you did a nice RCU review...clear and concise. I think I will assemble mine just using your review! I need to decide on engine choice...I have an OS 70 Surpass II, YS 63, and OS 46LA. Jon
Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 PM
G.Barber

Jon,

I appreciate the nice compliment, but you may still want to read the instruction manual...

I think the O.S .70 would be a good choice!

Welcome to the Stinger II club!!!

Geoff
Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Ernie Misner

FYI, ... Horizon now has the pitts mufflers in stock again for the OS 55AX. Note that this is a slightly larger volume muffler than the one for the 40 and 46, which do fit also. Tower hobbies has the Goldberg 40 -60, black nylon landing gear. It has some give to it unlike the stock gear and won't bend.

Ernie
Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Ernie Misner

Here's a pic of my completed Stinger II..... changed the decals and it is simply a "STING" now.... Used Goldberg landing gear that has some spring to it, no pilot figure - his glue joint came loose in there, had to cut him out, and he IS grounded! Also no cowling, looks more business like without it, and used a different tail wheel setup. HS 485 servos except a Tower digital servo on rudder and HS 85 servo on throttle. Tower LIFE battery for rx, only weighs 2.5 oz. and is 1100mah.

Ernie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35189.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1672877  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.