Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull PC9 trashed

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull PC9 trashed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:16 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Seagull PC9 trashed

Me and my flying buddy had one each. Mine had a 46 in it, and it flew great. That was until I midaired it with a slow flying sailplane.. Flew realy good, and I might buy another someday.

My friend installed a rossi 60 in his [8D] First flight it went into flutter. Bu he managed to reduce airspeed, and he landed safely. He went home and installed blue sulivan cables in it instead of the stock hardware. Next flight it fluttered again, and went in

I guess overpowering this model is a no no...... maybe a 40 on this plane would be safest.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11314.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	123532  
Old 04-20-2004, 07:49 PM
polar bear_909

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still trying to change the height of the fuel tank, however the top of the tank is still above the needle valve and carb by 20mm rather than the recommended 10mm in the OS booklet for the 46LA. Is that a problem???
Old 04-20-2004, 08:55 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: polar bear_909

I am still trying to change the height of the fuel tank, however the top of the tank is still above the needle valve and carb by 20mm rather than the recommended 10mm in the OS booklet for the 46LA. Is that a problem???

wont be a problem, the LA series is very forgiving

good luck
Old 04-21-2004, 12:01 PM
wldcwbypilot

I am not bashing anyone, but RC modellers are not known for being overly generous with their money, when it comes to buying models. Builders complain about construction, yet the Rc Model industry is going more away from kits, they are just not economical and besides who has time to build when you have to work 100 hours a week to pay for the kits and the wife. I have built many arfs, some are awesomely contructed, so are made so light to make them both Glow and Electric Convertable. I rarely use all the hardware provided, I have so many pairs of wheels and fuel tanks its getting to be a varitable junk pile under my bed. Tanks, I usually try to get Sullivan tank about 12 to 14 oz. and I always change the 2-56 or 2mm rods for 4-40 rods on the dowels and I use those Du-bro metal Clevises with the lock nut and spring retainer. I had a Mid_West Little Cap that I bought 2nd hand and its 2-56 control rods made one elevator half flutter badly. I made the change from 2-56 rods to 4-40 rod, I also put longer servo arms on my elevator servo. When you place clevises to far in on the elevator control arm, it will flutter no matter what size your control rods are! Just not enough lever arm to control harmonic vibrations from flying. Hey, model planes are stamped with an expiration date its just not visiable to your eyes, Some make one flight, and some may make flights for years.

Have fun

Will
Old 05-17-2004, 09:58 PM
andreasshrek007

I have got a seagull pc9
i got snake rod through the plane to make the elevator more stable,i flew it on the weekend but i always got a flutter in the elevator coming down in a dive,so i put the clivis which i had on the very outer hole on the horn inside the plane , onto the iner hole closer to the screw that holds the horn onto the servo.
it fixed the problem.
it seems pc9 have a common thing with flutter.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:04 AM
feral63

i have just sat here and all these posts about pc-9's going in because of a substandard kit.
yes they are cheap but, you get what you paid for.
i have one of these for over a year now.
i use a mds47 with a tuned pipe and a 11x6 mas prop.
this thing screams. i think i tached it at about 12500rpm running it a little rich.
i could not count how many flights i have had with plane and no matter what i throw at it, it just comes back for more.
the only time i have had to repair the plane was when the tail fin grabbed the strip while doin inverted low passes at full throttle. all i had to do was put another tail fin and canopy on.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:39 PM
polar bear_909

Default RE: Seagull PC9 and OS46FX

I have now set up the PC9 with an OS46FX and done a couple of flights. It flies really well and looks the part down at the field. I am surprised that it is a really stable low wing but can also do some pretty good aerobatics.

My problem now is that I am having great difficulties with tuning the engine when inverted. I lowered the fuel tank which appears to help when running the engine the right way up. However, when I turn the plane right way up and the engine inverted it appears to stop with and without the glow starter connected. When I did get it running and flying it would often deadstick on me (usually when I was at quarter or idle throttle in the air).

Is it because
-new engine (need to run in more)
-more adjustments (needle valve and mixing needle)
-get a another airplane!!!!

HELP!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:45 AM
feral63

Default RE: Seagull PC9 and OS46FX

polar bear hang in there.
could be one of a number of things.
maybe the plug your using isn't hot enough.
but it is most likely the tuning.
i found with mine it was running way too rich on low side.
i have'nt lowered my tank at all and it does sit very high.

i talked to a guy at my club who lost one and the elevator horn broke off his aswell.
but i have had no problems with this on mine.
for those guy who have lost theirs i feel sorry for you.

Name:	Tr49988.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	140931  
Old 06-08-2004, 04:15 AM
SBR_RV

well today i went into hobby store to look for something to take over my old trainer and i was showed this model, but after reading some posts i might consider another i was shown.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Flare

Hi Guys,

Been reading a lot on this kit and still decided to buy one. The overall quality is crappy but she sure looks good! Based on what our fellow pilots have experienced, here is what I did...

1. Epoxied the firewall, front and from the inside again
2. lightly coated all formers with epoxy...where they join with the fuselage
3. Installed a Y pushrod for the elevator instead of just one, seems much stronger now
4. Built a brace to hold the tank lower and ran the fuel feed thru the original tank dowel hole

The most gorgeous addition is a set of Eurokit for the nose and main gear. This addition added a little bit of weight but it sure looks good!!! Will post some pictures later once I finish the cowl.

Regards,

DDJ
Old 06-19-2004, 04:36 AM
freeflyer99

Hi Guys,

Regardless of quality, PC-9 is beautiful plane. It makes everyone to look at. Once you have tamed it, you enjoy it more. [img][/img] Other day I lost my plane (no clue what happened, it went into axial roll on its own and I lost complete control) no more radio control. Still trying to find out what went wrong. Well I may go for another one but for sure I will strengthen it and change number of things with good one. If Seagull can improve its quality I am sure lot of people will go for this kit.

Regards,
IK

Name:	Ay74891.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	144928  
Old 06-19-2004, 06:39 AM
rossco

same thing happened to me aswell. I came out of a loop and a loud drumming sound straight infront of me. I pulled up, and nothing. It glided down at idle and smashed up all the nose. I have fixed it and fibreglasses the nose. Looked at the crash site and the clevis came straight out of the horn on the elevator. The clevis was still intact too, fuel tubbing and all. WEIRD!!! I replaced the clevis with the Dubro Safety Lock link and will be test flying this Sunday. But other than that one of the best flying planes I have ever had. Just the hardware that comes with the kit needs a bit of an upgrade.

Rossco
Old 06-19-2004, 06:47 AM
freeflyer99

Rossco,

Mine was complete loss, it looked like shredded wood. I think my right aileron clevis broke and it went in roll because at that time I was banking it back toward the landing strip. Well any way its gone and only pictures are left. Every plane has its life no matter how strong you make it.

IK
Old 07-04-2005, 06:35 AM
viet-grunt
My Feedback: (18)

I am know building my fifth scratch built 46 size PC9 , I love it when i take my 46 size flying and park it along side the arf one mine is a pc9 the Seagull and Vmar dont come near it seagull have all the decal wrong i also have a 1/5 size my e-mail is [email protected] Barry
Old 09-05-2006, 02:29 AM
TRF-StEvE

hi guys, i just purchased the seagul pc9 and it comes with metal pushroads, are these a fix for the flutter issue ? i'll be changing the horns and clevis's to stronger ones just dont know if the pushrods are ok. any iother hints apart from epoxy the firewall ?

steve
Old 09-05-2006, 08:02 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The metal pushrods........

It's nice to have the stiffest rods possible, but flutter most often comes from slop in the connections. Next comes flex in the connections. So even with metal rods, make sure the clevis pins are a close fit in the horn's holes, and any threaded parts fit tightly. Very often, you'll see threaded clevis that are loose on the threads of the pushrod. That's asking for it.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:11 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting........

I just noticed this thread for the first time and was interested because I've only ever seen one PC9. And I only saw it fly on two different days. The firewall pulled out the first session. But on that session, I got to see just how fast the sucker was and was impressed.

The second session was also interesting, because the owner had reinforced the firewall when he repaired it. And it was obvious that the stiffer firewall helped that PC9 fly even faster. And thanks to that added speed, the airplane was capable of reaching the flutter speed of the wing. And the wing blew open like a handgrenade.

One wing blew itself apart fluttering. The aileron was good to go after all that, but almost all the ribs and some of the spars had turned to little pieces and blew out of the monokote bag that the wing became. It was almost empty when it hit the ground. And HIT it did.