ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

What do the ARF guys do in winter?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 AM
markhamregular

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What do the ARF guys do in winter?

I know the question was not directed to people like me living in South Florida. But...
I have a question: any of you plan trips to places like south florida and bring your planes with you?

Some people will do anything to fly. I met a guy at the field this morning and he's here in Miami on a business trip from Brazil.
What did he do? He added a day to his business trip, called the instructor and scheduled a 2-hour class.
He asked the instructor to come with his plane, and VOILA!

Some guys would do anything to fly.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:31 AM
DanMN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hunting, ice fishing. Archery deer season starts today in MN. My focus goes to hunting until mid December every year. After that it's ice fishing until end of March. Then start flying again. I love this time of year!!! There is nothing better than sitting 20 feet up in a tree for hours on end drinking coffee and taking in nature.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:04 AM
MinnFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

Ain't that the truth, I hang out tooooooo much on RCU during the long wet months!
Just look at MY post count!

Quote:
ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

I just go to Florida for the winters & drink beer & fish 8 days a week !!
What part of Florida do you go to? Maybe we can hook up down there and do some fishing together!

Quote:
ORIGINAL: markhamregular

I know the question was not directed to people like me living in South Florida. But...
I have a question: any of you plan trips to places like south florida and bring your planes with you?
My dad lives not too far from you in Boynton Beach and we have an office in Del Rey, so I usually make a few trips down there in the winter and fly with him - or many times I'll have a plane to review so I'll ship it down there to shoot the video.

Last February I shot the H-9 Phoenix, the GP Escapade and the Top Flite P-40 videos down there

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1332

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1336

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1345
Old 09-17-2011, 08:52 AM
OliverJacob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess we are going to fill up our houses with more ARFs over the winter. I build 4 of them while the season was going on.
But honestly I am thinking about building a kit, not sure what I want now. I'd like to get a big Extra or Edge with at least 30cc gas. Not many kits on the market now, mostly ARFs.
I would also like to build a Horten, can't find any kit for that. And I don't have the equipment to scratch build it. And the next Hobby shop is about an hour away, so I can't go there for every little part.
And - does anyone have plans to build skis - for 40 to 60 size planes? I have to try flying off the snow.
What about using floats as skis? Does that work?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:54 PM
TimT2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well before I joined the Eldon club, I could build in the winter. They fly almost no matter what so
now I build on ARFs all year round when I can find time.

Tim

Old 09-17-2011, 04:00 PM
cloudancer03

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dont you go to florida and fly and play golf all winter.I thought everybody did that.now in my working days I warmed up the shop got some hot coffee and made sure a good football game was on and holed up there on the weekends building.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 PM
kerwin50

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have lot's and lot's of planes to repair and if I get a chance I may design 1.
before the days of the ARF's you could go to the field and see lots and lots of ugly airplanes because most builders are not that good at covering.
There were always a few builders that were really good at covering and they let you know it.
Now most of those guys were kit builders and new nothing about scratch building, let alone designing.
They think the cg and center of pitch are one and the same, let alone what AR is. aspect ratio.
They were always amazed at how I could build a plane with out a single plan except the one I drew, and yes that was before CAD
Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Kmot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: kerwin50

before the days of the ARF's you could go to the field and see lots and lots of ugly airplanes because most builders are not that good at covering.
Amen! Can I get a witness! Amen!!

I crack up all the time laughing at the anti-ARF crowd talking about how superior they are cuz they build a kit but then their plane is ugly as the south end of a camel because they cannot cover as well as the little China girl they spew so much venom at.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:26 AM
jp_boud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd like one of those little Chinese kids to teach me how to cover. They put me to shame, Ihave to take pictures of my covering jobs from wwwwwaaaaayyyyy back! If they just used a quality covering, we would never hear complaining about ARF ChinaKote! (nah who am Ikidding modelers always have something to complain about........
Old 09-18-2011, 04:34 AM
joebahl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kmot

Quote:

I crack up all the time laughing at the anti-ARF crowd talking about how superior they are cuz they build a kit but then their plane is ugly as the south end of a camel because they cannot cover as well as the little China girl they spew so much venom at.
There planes might not look that great but at least they tried ! I like the guys who ask if there is a ARF of one of my scratch builds and i tell them where to get plans at and they frown and walk away. I like seeing guys with a small arf crash and they cant fix it . I like charging BIG money for putting arf,s together for guys who dont have the faintest clue. So you see Kmot i crack up at alot of funny things. lmao joe
Old 09-18-2011, 05:11 AM
scale only 4 me

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Quote:

I was wondering how long it would take for this thread would turn down that same overly beating road,, Yawn
Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Jetdesign

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This winter:

1) Convert Yak to electric - patch and reinforce cowl, maybe repaint cowl; build battery tray, motor mount, new landing gear, patch/repair/replace covering where needed; CANOPY LATCH.

2) Go over S. Wind - been thinking about canopy latch, covering hinge gaps, replacing elevators and servos, inspect pull-pull system, new setup for Rx batteries to allow for better CG control, increase cooling flow, consider wheel pants, and maybe landing gear fairings. Also need to think about increasing visibility and/or wing fences and canalizers.

3) Either sell the Venus .40 or convert to electric, maybe some kind of bash. Hopefully sell and invest in a new project.

4) Finish the stupid foamy, just to say it's done, and move on with my life.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:53 AM
joebahl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Quote:

Quote:

I was wondering how long it would take for this thread would turn down that same overly beating road,, Yawn
Yea i know its always the arf guy that starts throwing the mud and brings a thread to either bashing ARF,s or builders, I cant just sit and take it either,iam a builder first but i own some arfs . lol This thread looked like it was going to open this up. joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36939.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1663738  
Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 AM
OliverJacob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used to build kits and now I like the convenience of an ARF.
Many of us simply do not have the time or don't want to spend it when we can go flying instead of endless hours messing with glue
and covering.
The ARFs have attracted people to get into RC flying. A kit plane is a scary thing for most beginners.
I will build a kit over the winter, just for the fun of it. But also I am glad about ARFs. One afternoon of work and you have a nice looking
plane ready to fly - great.
And I have respect to someone who scratch builds his plane.
So I like to build a plane I can not find a kit for - now I want a 40 size Horten, but can not find any plans.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 AM
joebahl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

I used to build kits and now I like the convenience of an ARF.
Many of us simply do not have the time or don't want to spend it when we can go flying instead of endless hours messing with glue
and covering.
The ARFs have attracted people to get into RC flying. A kit plane is a scary thing for most beginners.
I will build a kit over the winter, just for the fun of it. But also I am glad about ARFs. One afternoon of work and you have a nice looking
plane ready to fly - great.
And I have respect to someone who scratch builds his plane.
So I like to build a plane I can not find a kit for - now I want a 40 size Horten, but can not find any plans.
I agree with you oliver but its these threads that bring out the worst in some people just because they cant build or wont they get goofy at the ones that do . I understand not having anough time, my last build took me over a year because of being real busy at work and family. I like some of the new arfs coming out ,the horizon icon 5 is a nice looking foam seaplane for electrict amnd great planes just came out with a nice little seaplane also. I think there are enough arfs ,kits and plans so that all our needs are meet with out us bashing each other about covering or building or arfs . I have been flying and building since when there were no arfs and if you wanted any plane you had to build it so it was not a option for me to run out a buy a plane that was all put together when i was young. I hope arf flyers think like you do oliver and let every one make there own choice and dont look down on arfs or a guy that trys to build his first plane. joe
Old 09-18-2011, 07:50 AM
quiltsfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with Kmot, here in Arizona when it is 110-116 that is our winter when we work on next years building, ARF or Kit. Today the high is to be in the low 90's so it is now cool enough to fly into the afternoon. I do have a pair of skiis from flying in Nebraska if anyone is interested.

Quiltsfly
Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 AM
joebahl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: quiltsfly

I agree with Kmot, here in Arizona when it is 110-116 that is our winter when we work on next years building, ARF or Kit. Today the high is to be in the low 90's so it is now cool enough to fly into the afternoon. I do have a pair of skiis from flying in Nebraska if anyone is interested.

Quiltsfly
So you if you agree komot about laughing at anti arf guys or laughing a a new builder who at least tried to build a plane but the covering was loose.I see no where that COMOT said it was hot out and he worked on his next arf for spring. Iam going back to my scratch building before i say something to get me thrown off this site. Grow up guys. Oh BTY ! the first prototype of your ARFs was scratch built to see if it would even fly so dont bash new or old builders . joe
Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 AM
dbacque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes everybody needs to get over the petty arguments about kit vs. ARF so we can concentrate on the real issue, glow vs. electric.

Just a joke!!!

Dave
Old 09-18-2011, 09:29 AM
MANFRED

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dudes!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rp43374.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	1663944  
Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 AM
flynte

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I keep flying!!! and assembling, repairing and building!

flynte
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zw69555.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1663949  
Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 AM
joebahl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have some arfs to put together this winter cause i was busy last winter getting this ready for spring. I only fly off of water now so when summer hits iam going to 15 or 20 waterfunflys around my state and IN. joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bz78856.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1663955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36080.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1663956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94928.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1663957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42679.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1663958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82387.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1663959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne54484.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1663960  
Old 09-18-2011, 12:42 PM
outlander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why stop flying ? I live in the Great White North . I fly my arf's on skis all winter . I also fly electric arf's and bnf's
in a basketball gym once a week during the dark times . Fly Fly Fly !
Old 09-18-2011, 03:02 PM
rgburrill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shovel snow :<( And try to keep warm.

Actually, one local club has a very nice indoor flying site. I think one of my planes even qualifies but I have to get a lot better at it before trying.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 PM
joebahl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lol i use to fly when very cold and ride my harley too but old age has taken its toll and now i just build in the winter or some times i fly in the local gym. Thos days of warming my nitro motors on the tailpipe of my van so they would just turn over to start are over. I enjoy building as much as flying now but it was not like that when i was younger. I have skies for some of my planes that i built long ago and my son will use them . He wants the harley to but i have plans to make a trike soon so i can ride into my 70,s .lol joe
Old 09-18-2011, 04:51 PM
CdnFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am not usually an ARF assembler, but have done a couple, but normally I like to kit build and plan build, so that keeps me busy, as well as repair the summer carnage. I also make myself a real pain in the ass for the wife, so that by the time spring comes and the flying season gets into full swing, she is happy to see me go to the weekend events to get rid of me for a while. We can also fly all year round , summer with wheels and floats, winter, skis and floats if the snow is too powdery. Got it made where we fly, the city plows out the parking lot, we have heat in our shed, and can warm up when necessary.

I have a Yellow Aircraft Zero that I need to get building this winter, it has been in the box for about 5 years now, so it is time to get my butt in gear and do something with it.

Search this Thread