Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobby King

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobby King

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:29 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Hobby King

Anyone use Hobby King? They have a P-51 I am interested in but it says that a 2.4GHz radio is recommended. I wonder why. Does the supplied electronics and motor interfere with 72MHz? Do the supplied servos not interface with Hitec receivers?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King

Nope, "recommended" only because it is the norm for TX's and less chance for interference, nothing more.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 AM
jzrf6c

I've used HK for several years. Why? Because of costs but also because I can get what I want . Choise is what it's all about. However, the cost of shipping is now a major issue. They do have a warehouse in the US (Oregan) but they do't carry much.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 AM
opjose

I haven't seen changes in shipping of late, but I've always used their EMS option.

Usually I recover the cost of shipping on the first item I add to an order...

Old 09-22-2011, 08:48 PM
skubacb

Shipping costs have gone up for me. Last shipment added 17% to the total cost. So you really have to make some choices. If you have to pay customs it will not be the cheapest.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 AM
GP23
My Feedback: (2)

Deleted
Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: skubacb

Shipping costs have gone up for me. Last shipment added 17% to the total cost. So you really have to make some choices. If you have to pay customs it will not be the cheapest.
It really depends upon what you are ordering.

Some things are clearly not worth ordering, because of shipping costs, particularly if you are placing small orders.

However other items, such as batteries, motors, ESC's, that have lower weights per cost on equivalent domestically sold items, so are good bargains.

A good idea is to do as said and see if you can get close to the same costs domestically as suggested.

I don't mind paying a few dollars more to purchase something locally, even factoring in shipping, particularly since local returns and support are worth the added expense.

However if I'm ordering four 6S 5000mAh packs and see a $120.00 difference in price on EACH pack... even if shipping costs me $40.00, I'll go with the cheaper option.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:31 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never bought anything from Hobby King....they never had all the items in I wanted to ship at one time. I gave up! Capt,n
Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

If the recommendation was just because everyone is going that way then why is this particular airplane one of the very few with that recommendation.  The have many other P-51s that don't say that.  Now, while I appreciate the comments I wish someone who really knows the answer would respond?

BTW, remember when "everyone" was switching to narrow band?  Remember that it took years for that to happen?  People don't jsut throw away a $300 radio because "everyone" is switching.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 AM
opjose

See post #2.... that is the correct answer.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM
GP23
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

If the recommendation was just because everyone is going that way then why is this particular airplane one of the very few with that recommendation. The have many other P-51s that don't say that. Now, while I appreciate the comments I wish someone who really knows the answer would respond?

BTW, remember when "everyone" was switching to narrow band? Remember that it took years for that to happen? People don't jsut throw away a $300 radio because "everyone" is switching.
My apologies for my two cents. However, if you are looking for the absolute correct answer to your 2.4 question, I'm not sure why you didn't email HK and ask them directly, instead of posting on a forum where you will most likely get a lot of personal opinion among possible facts? Since they are the ones selling the product, I'm sure they will provide you with the exact answer you are looking for, whereas posting on a forum has the possibility of yielding you bad information. You started the thread by "Anyone use Hobby King?" and I thought I'd share my experience. Please disregard my previous post and I'm sorry I wasted your time with useless information that you clearly weren't looking for.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Fastsky

Personally I love the fact that everyone is switching to 2.4. It leaves most of the frequency board at my club field open so I can use my 72 mhz receivers, with no waiting. I have a lot of planes and it would cost me big $$ to change receivers for all of them.