Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

TT September Fury CG

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

TT September Fury CG

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:47 AM
tomd-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT September Fury CG

Hello,

I just finished assembling a Thunder Tiger September Fury. The manual calls for a " CG at 3 3/4 inches from the leading edge of the wing next to the panel line on the fuselage". Obviously this is wrong because this measurement does not correspond to a panel line on the fuselage. If this were the case, I would have to use more than 2.5 lbs of weight after having installed a 30 CC DLE engine. An F6F which is a similar airplane has a CG at 5 inches. If I translate this value to the September Fury, it does correspond to a panel line on the fuselage.
Has anyone assembled this airplane and where did you set the CG ?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:19 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: TT September Fury CG

You "can" calculate the CG yourself. It depends on the wing type. But, typically the CG is initially set at 1/3 the coord (width) of the wing. This changes however for tappered or slanted or biplane wings. Search the web for the desired formulas.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 AM
codedlanguage

Copy - paste from a thread regarding TT September Fury CG:

I decided to go for broke and removed the 1.5 pounds of dead weight I needed to get her to balance at 95MM. Then I came to my senses and only removed 1 pound and took her the field. GUESS WHAT she flew like a dream. That's not entirelly true, but it flew so much better than before. I am confident that I can remove at least another 3/4 pound of lead to this plane and fly it just fine. The CG the post in the instructions are NOT accurate. Again for clarification the are NOT accurate. I am balancing it tonight at 130mm and going to have a blast tomorrow at the field for the first time in 6 months with thei plane. Pisses my off that TT has the audacity to ask me to pay 380.00 for a plane like this and then give me the wrong CG.

Please don't take my word for it, but for the sake of your landing gear do NOT balance at 95MM....it is just way to nose heavy and will destroy your retract mounts on the first hard landing. I reinforced mine wiht
carbon fiber plate on the top and bottom and then douced it all with Gorilla Glue....wing will break before the landing gear.

Good luck I will keep you posted on anything new but PLEASE keep this thread alive because frankly there are NO other threads on the september fury or sea fury out there that are worth a damn.

Best,

Brandon

Hope this information will help you. I had the above information saved in some emails. Can't provide the link to the actual post.
Mine is powered by a ASP 160 FT twin engine, with sullivan onboard glow.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
tomd-RCU

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for your input. Did you fly the September Fury with the CG at 130 mm ? If so, how did it fly ?

Does it noseover with the CG at 130 mm ?

Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 01:45 AM
codedlanguage

Hi tomd-RCU, here is George (codedlanguage). Brandon was the author of the original post about September Fury CG, that I had saved in my computer.

I maidened mine with the CG at 9,5 cm and it was nose heavy.
For the second flight it was balanced at 10 - 11 cm from LE and everything was ok.

Now, after replacing the 2 strokes TT .91 engine with the ASP 160 FT twin, and changing the landing gear with a home made ones I'm preparing to fly it this weekend with the CG at 11 cm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70522.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1669730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59694.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	1669731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73673.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1669732  
Old 10-04-2011, 04:06 PM
tomd-RCU

Hey George,

Keep me posted as soon as you fly your plane this weekend. I am planning to fly mine this weekend also. The CG will be at 130 mm.
I will post my impressions.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 PM
tomd-RCU

Hello George,

I have flown the September Fury with the CG at 130 mm. The airplane flew very well. No problems in the air.
However, upon landing it flipped over and one of the gears came off.

Even though the CG has moved back, it still wants to noseover. One has to be very careful even on takeoff.

[img][/img]

Name:	Bz77641.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	1670729  
Old 10-09-2011, 01:59 AM
codedlanguage

It was pretty windy yesterday. When approaching for a landing simulation, engine quit and I landed next of the runaway, hit a mound of dirth and broke both landing gears. Everything else is fine but the landing gear. As I said before it was a home made landing gear. An easy repair but as the winter is getting near I have no ideea when I will try again.

Name:	Ki19680.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	1671513